Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin Shares Some Thoughts About Steve Jobs Biopic, Woz Hired As Advisor






Aaron Sorkin, the creative genius behind The Social Network, The West Wing, and upcoming HBO show The Newsroom was recently confirmed as the screenwriter for Sony's upcoming movie based on Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs -- though, Sorkin himself says he has a lot of work to do.

Reuters reports that Sorkin held an interview with reporters and said he was still looking for something in Jobs' life to hang the movie on.
Quote:
Sorkin noted that "The Social Network" saw the Facebook story through the lens of an acrimonious lawsuit that pitted CEO Mark Zuckerberg against his Harvard friends over the creation of the social media network.

"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it. They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," Sorkin said.
He noted that it won't be a "straight ahead biography" because a biography has a natural "cradle-to-grave structure" that is very hard to overcome.

Sorkin also disclosed that Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has been hired as a consultant by Sony Pictures to advise the filmmakers on the technical aspects of computers and about Jobs himself.

Article Link: Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin Shares Some Thoughts About Steve Jobs Biopic, Woz Hired As Advisor
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Fishcake21
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I dunno, Steve and Steve was a different generation back then compare to the harvard kids. I love pirates of silicon valley because it had less bs compare to the social network.

Maybe I am being a hater... I guess I am, i don't care... eff him
Fishcake21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
machomer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I don't think there's difficulty in finding anything out! I read Steve Jobs and his life is was filled with drama as it is. A once in a lifetime individual that changed the world.

A strong minded person, created his company, stabbed in the back by people he brought in, starts his own company, buys another and influences the company to change animated movies, comes full circle when his original company buys his second, works behinds the scenes to force out existing CEO, he takes back his company (Thank GOD), brings his company back from the brink, unfortunately (understatement) has cancer, battles cancer, world loses a visionary. It's simple, his life is a damn movie. No need for any certain twist.
machomer is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Mjmar
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
My expectations for this movie have just been set to high
Mjmar is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:23 PM   #5
BlueParadox
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
If the film's going to be made, then couldn't be happier that Sorkin is adapting Isaacson's bio. I'm sure he'll find the perfect MacGuffin to construct his screenplay around.

Now the other hard part - the right director and lead for the roles...
BlueParadox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
blow45
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
too early for this ****, the dust hasn't even settled on Steve's grave... hollywood always out to make big buck when they see the opportunity, what's new?

anyway biopics are dead boring, what can you put in 100 mins about a man's life that isn't a cliche and a caricature to anyone who knows his legacy and a bit about their life?

Read the bio instead.
blow45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
jlgolson
Editor
 
jlgolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
too early for this ****, the dust hasn't even settled on Steve's grave... hollywood always out to make big buck when they see the opportunity, what's new?

anyway biopics are dead boring, what can you put in 100 mins about a man's life that isn't a cliche and a caricature to anyone who knows his legacy and a bit about their life?

Read the bio instead.
Biopics are boring? Clearly you haven't seen Ali or Ray or -- ****, even The Social Network was a biopic.
__________________
Jordan Golson -- Editor at MacRumors -- jlgolson@macrumors.com -- @jlgolson
jlgolson is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #8
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
It's fantastic that Woz is hired as advisor.
I remember the story about him being left out of Isacson's biography because of a misunderstanding (when Isaacson called him for an interview Woz declined, because he thought it was another unofficial biography and he wanted to respect Steve's wishes for privacy. He didn't realize that Steve had authorized Isaacson because he was dying). So I hope we get a little more of that side of the story. I love Woz he's such a gentle, humble man in interviews
__________________
2009 iPhone 3G S⃣ 27" 2009 iMac i7 160 GB intel SSD
11" 2011 MacBook Air i7 1.8GHz,
iPad 3rd Generation 64GB LTE
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Capt Underpants
macrumors 68030
 
Capt Underpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Woz can give them some insights about the early days, but I doubt he'll be too useful once the film reaches the mid '80s. He's lost a lot of relevance since he left the company. But it'll be interesting to see where Sorkin decides to focus the narrative.
__________________
Love.
Capt Underpants is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:38 PM   #10
blow45
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
Biopics are boring? Clearly you haven't seen Ali or Ray or -- ****, even The Social Network was a biopic.
Haven't watched Ali, but I found Ray dead boring. Ali might have been better dunno, there are exceptions to the rule.

I 've not watched the social network, I m not really into bs.
blow45 is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:41 PM   #11
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana, US
Social Network took a few steps past "dramatization" to the point of being flat-out misleading. Like the total invention of that female character in the beginning and end of the movie. And making Mark Zuckerberg seem like an anti-social bully (which makes no sense considering he started the leading SOCIAL network).

Hopefully with Woz being an "advisor" things won't stray too far from the truth, but who knows how active Woz will be.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2009) 2.26GHz | 320GB, 7200RPM | 4GB RAM
16GB iPhone 4S
dscuber9000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:41 PM   #12
edk99
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FL
I lost interest in this movie when Ashton Kutcher was announced to play Steve.
edk99 is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:45 PM   #13
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030
 
basesloaded190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
Haven't watched Ali, but I found Ray dead boring. Ali might have been better dunno, there are exceptions to the rule.

I 've not watched the social network, I m not really into bs.
BS? What about The Social Network is BS? If you love or hate Facebook, the movie was fantastic.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro 15 HR Anti-Glare, Etymotic ER-4p, iPhone 4 32GB
Twitter
basesloaded190 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
taylortm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California, USA
...and it keeps getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
I lost interest in this movie when Ashton Kutcher was announced to play Steve.
I'm with you on that one. Ditto for Sorkin being involved.

Sorkin creates characters that almost exclusively are only capable of using extremely condescending dialog and there was always something else that rubbed me the wrong way about every episode of West Wing (even though I watched almost all of them). But I couldn't put my finger on it until I just read this post.

Thanks to Aaron for pointing it out: he only knows one recipe for creating dramatic engagement. Very cookie cutter.

My expectations just got set to low(er). Definitely a "wait for DVD" film, for me.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2009); iPad2/ATT/64; MBP 17"; iPhones; iPods; ATV2; Airport Extreme (Gen 4); lots of other iToys
taylortm is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
koolmagicguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
The Woz is a big cuddly teddy bear
koolmagicguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:02 PM   #16
arn
macrumors god
 
arn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
I lost interest in this movie when Ashton Kutcher was announced to play Steve.
That's a different movie.
arn is online now   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:07 PM   #17
blow45
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
BS? What about The Social Network is BS? If you love or hate Facebook, the movie was fantastic.
I really don't think oneway or the other about facebook, I intensely disliked the fact that they are bypassing every privacy law in the book and making a buck off our data, but since facebook is here to stay I 've stopped caring and I hope the legislators do something about it. Just heard an interview of Zuckerburg (sp?) once and I though he was an effin moron -which he is- that had zero insight on the social implications and philosophical ramifications of what he had accidentally unleashed upon the world. Why would I want to see a movie made in hollywood (lowest common denominator oversimplified bs 99.9% of the time) about such a bozo?
blow45 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I think the best focus would be his ousting from Apple and his return... it's that midpoint between the past and the end of his life, the even divide. There was so much drama and events that can round out both ends of that that would give the movie a non-biopic feel.

I just hope the film includes a scene where Steve Jobs pulls the mobile me team into a conference room and asks, "so what does mobile me do?" he gets his answer, and then as only steve jobs could do... "they why the F%#)@ doesn't it do that? You should hate yourselves for shaming Apple and being an embarassment."

Oh, and when he told Bill Gates he needed to go screw around and drop some acid because he was an uptight nerd
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:10 PM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
That one obstacle Sorkin is looking for is Jobs looking to change the world through technology and everyone and everything standing in the way. They can be personified in the likeness of Sculley, Gates, and death.

You're welcome Mr. Sorkin. Please send my consulting check to my secretary.
iMikeT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:17 PM   #20
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030
 
basesloaded190's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blow45 View Post
I really don't think oneway or the other about facebook, I intensely disliked the fact that they are bypassing every privacy law in the book and making a buck off our data, but since facebook is here to stay I 've stopped caring and I hope the legislators do something about it. Just heard an interview of Zuckerburg (sp?) once and I though he was an effin moron -which he is- that had zero insight on the social implications and philosophical ramifications of what he had accidentally unleashed upon the world. Why would I want to see a movie made in hollywood (lowest common denominator oversimplified bs 99.9% of the time) about such a bozo?
That's why I said love or hate facebook, it still is a fantastic movie, but apparently you can't imagine such a thing.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro 15 HR Anti-Glare, Etymotic ER-4p, iPhone 4 32GB
Twitter
basesloaded190 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:27 PM   #21
blow45
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
That's why I said love or hate facebook, it still is a fantastic movie, but apparently you can't imagine such a thing.
maybe we have different tastes and expectations from movies? I am not easy to please, I am at stage of too much been there done that, and seen this, read this in my life to be impressed so I try to chose wisely so I won't be disappointed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
I just hope the film includes a scene where Steve Jobs pulls the mobile me team into a conference room and asks, "so what does mobile me do?" he gets his answer, and then as only steve jobs could do... "they why the F%#)@ doesn't it do that? You should hate yourselves for shaming Apple and being an embarassment."
Lol that would be a great effing scene!!!!!
(doubt they ll put it in the film)
blow45 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:32 PM   #22
DrWeevil
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
I think the best focus would be his ousting from Apple and his return... it's that midpoint between the past and the end of his life, the even divide. There was so much drama and events that can round out both ends of that that would give the movie a non-biopic feel.

I just hope the film includes a scene where Steve Jobs pulls the mobile me team into a conference room and asks, "so what does mobile me do?" he gets his answer, and then as only steve jobs could do... "they why the F%#)@ doesn't it do that? You should hate yourselves for shaming Apple and being an embarassment."

Oh, and when he told Bill Gates he needed to go screw around and drop some acid because he was an uptight nerd
Ditto to all that. Another possibility to focus on: Steve's commitment to destroy Android... if it takes every last penny in Apple coffer of amassed cash. Though his return to Apple and flawlessly lead it to unimaginable successes would be nicer :-)
DrWeevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:47 PM   #23
demodave
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lubbock, TX
From the Sorkin Quotation:
"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it. They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," Sorkin said.

Kinda indirectly from Steve Jobs:
"I want to create the best damn user experience in the world, and I am willing to talk myself out of a job and get bought out of a job to do it! I'm even willing to go to thermonuclear war!"

Is this really that difficult?
__________________
15" MBP, 2.66 GHz Core i&, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, running OS 10.6.6
Mac Mini, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, running OS X Server 10.6.6
demodave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by demodave View Post
From the Sorkin Quotation:
"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it? They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," Sorkin said.

Kinda indirectly from Steve Jobs:
"I want to create the best damn user experience in the world, and I am willing to talk myself out of a job and get bought out of a job to do it! I'm even willing to go to thermonuclear war!"

Is this really that difficult?
So Jobs vs HID w/a subplot of Jobs vs a competing OS in a 'war' that never had any resolution. That sounds wonderfully boring. Where's the character arc? Who's Moriarty to Jobs' Holmes? In Pirates of Silicon Valley it was Jobs vs Gates. It wasn't Jobs vs Windows or Jobs vs IBM.

Jobs getting ousted, returning to Apple and bringing the company from the land of monthly 'death knells' to one of the most successful companies ever obviously has drama and character growth in spades but I think it might be too large of a time frame. I think Sorkin is looking for a microcosmic event that could encapsulate the essence of Jobs' life, struggles and growth.


Lethal
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 09:40 PM   #25
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020
 
DavidLeblond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Ugh, it sounds like Sorkin is probably going to pull the same crap he did with The Social Network and fictionalize it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie. But he clearly didn't understand the fact that someone can build something just for the sake of building it. Instead he invented some crap about how Facebook was created to get back at a girl. And now most everyone thinks that's true.
__________________
iOS Developer
DavidLeblond is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC