Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stirfry2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Hello all,

It seems a bit off topic, but I know the macrumors community is quite savvy, so I thought I would pose this here.

We are looking to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs and do not have cable, nor are we willing to lock into a long, expensive contract as we don't need cable (Netflix and Hulu work fine for us). We have been going to the local sports bars so far, but find it more expensive than cable and less enjoyable since no one is willing to turn up the sound. However, I was told the playoffs are on the "Free-to-air" NBC channel, which we should be able to get for free. However, I cannot seem to find a place to watch or receive these channels. All I could find was "playon.tv", but this is PC only. Any idea how this can be done?

Thanks

spy008

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
How I can tell...

that netflix and hulu really aren't working fine for you is you want to watch something that you can't get on netflix or hulu.

That being said check out:

firstrowsports.eu or vipbox.tv

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
You can also try hockeystreams.net

I sometimes play them on my iPad and airplay them to the Apple TV. Looks great.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Or just hook up an indoor antena directly to your TV to recevie local Over-The-Air broadcasts in HD?

+1
This would be the easiest, and the cheapest solution.

I use an Antenna+HDHomerun to EyeTV for most of my viewing needs. Works very very well.

Stirfry2112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the advice, I knew I could count on you guys. We are big LA Kings fans and live in the LA area, so NHLGameCenter would blackout our Kings games, so that's a no go. We have tried indoor antenna's but unfortunately, the mountains block the good signals. hockeystreams.net looks like a good idea, but for the cup finals, we decided to try cable again. Turns out, ATT has offered us a no-contract cable subscription, so we can cancel anytime with no fees. We will see how well it works, but thanks again everyone for all the feedback, much appreciated!

Go Kings GO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.