Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rb4havoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
In the long run, buying an unsubsidized phone will probably cost me less than negating my unlimited plan by buying a subsidized phone, especially with having an LTE phone. There was a week I was stuck in Ft. Bragg where I had nothing to do for most of the week, and also ended up picking up 2 soldiers that had just gotten back from deployment, and used around 14 GB of data alone that week between me watching movies off Netflix and them Skyping with friends and family off of the same connection.

While that week is probably not a staple use of my regular usage of my mobile hotspot, I can imagine that it'll be that way any time I do travel and have down time, which does happen a bit in the military. It's also nice to know that my phone is completely capable of having the speed and bandwidth of broadband without having to pick up some ISP if I'm stuck at a place without internet for an extended period of time.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
The next iphone will be LTe, and on Verizon LTE you do get a sim card that is swapable. SO yes the next iphone from the apple store will work with verizon as long as you get the verizon version.

Swapable. Meaning you would need a 4G device before the upcoming iPhone, so you could swap Sim cards. So if you're coming from a 3G phone like me, to a new iPhone, even if you bought the new iPhone at full retail, you'd still have to go to a Verizon store to get the 4G card, hense updating your account = void unlimited data plan.

:mad:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Learn to read the original post.

Don't get it. Instead of being helpful you want to be a douche and not give an answer and make it seem like you are smarter than everyone else?

Thanks for nothing Terd Ferguson.

----------

Upon review of your other posts, I am disappointed that I fed the troll.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Swapable. Meaning you would need a 4G device before the upcoming iPhone, so you could swap Sim cards. So if you're coming from a 3G phone like me, to a new iPhone, even if you bought the new iPhone at full retail, you'd still have to go to a Verizon store to get the 4G card, hense updating your account = void unlimited data plan.

not if you do it before they switch plans this summer. i just chatted with a vzw rep on their website and was told that if i switch now from my iphone 4s to a 4G capable phone, my unlimited 3G data will be transferred as unlimited 4G data. then come iphone lte time, buy your iphone unsubsudized, swap in your 4G sim, sell your 4G phone to recoup some of the iphone price back.

only reason i didnt switch was i didnt know what phone i wanted yet. im leaning towards the droid razr/razr maxx.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
not if you do it before they switch plans this summer. i just chatted with a vzw rep on their website and was told that if i switch now from my iphone 4s to a 4G capable phone, my unlimited 3G data will be transferred as unlimited 4G data. then come iphone lte time, buy your iphone unsubsudized, swap in your 4G sim, sell your 4G phone to recoup some of the iphone price back.

only reason i didnt switch was i didnt know what phone i wanted yet. im leaning towards the droid razr/razr maxx.

There is always a catch. There are no phones out that I like. Actually last weekend I bought and returned the droid razr. I hated it. It's huge!!! The OS was buggy. Just not for me.

Well looks like I'll be going back to my original plan. Can't wait for the new iPhone. :apple:

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007

I'll probably end up doing the same thing. Since I'm not eligible for upgrade, it means I have to get 2 phones unsubsidized.

I like the Razr Maxx too. Either that or Galaxy Nexus.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Switching to 4G doesn't require renewing your contract if you bring your own phone. Shouldn't be an issue.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There is always a catch. There are no phones out that I like. Actually last weekend I bought and returned the droid razr. I hated it. It's huge!!! The OS was buggy. Just not for me.

Well looks like I'll be going back to my original plan. Can't wait for the new iPhone. :apple:

thanks for the heads up on the razr. ill still probably take a look at it when i pop in the store tomorrow. its hard to beat the $99 promo best buy has for it, plus the $60 i have in bb rewards. and its hard to imagine it being worse than my droid eris i had a few years ago. i would have thrown it againt a wall after i got my vzw iphone 4 if they hadnt offered me $150 for it.

I'll probably end up doing the same thing. Since I'm not eligible for upgrade, it means I have to get 2 phones unsubsidized.

I like the Razr Maxx too. Either that or Galaxy Nexus.

im trying to keep as cheap as possible. the nexus is out of my range. im going to end up shelling out $800ish for the lte iphone, so i just need something to get me through till then. like i said sbove, check best buy quick. they have a 2-day sale on the regular razr, its hard to beat $99; or at least $100 off if you have to buy it out right.

----------

Switching to 4G doesn't require renewing your contract if you bring your own phone. Shouldn't be an issue.

maybe not, but you know you lock it in for at least two more years or they forfit their ETF. i think its better to lock it in that way than taking your chance and paying out of pocket for a 4G phone (even used) and they kill month-to-month unlimited data users whenever they want.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
maybe not, but you know you lock it in for at least two more years or they forfit their ETF. i think its better to lock it in that way than taking your chance and paying out of pocket for a 4G phone (even used) and they kill month-to-month unlimited data users whenever they want.

Yeah, seems like a no-brainer if you have an upgrade available now. Use it, get 2 years guaranteed lock-in and you'll at least make a profit on resale to put towards the full-priced iPhone. I'd wait till they announce the date though to get as much in-contract time as possible. For those who aren't happy with the large size of the current phones, the Incredible 4G LTE will be just 4 inches so could be a decent choice if it comes out in time.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
thanks for the heads up on the razr. ill still probably take a look at it when i pop in the store tomorrow. its hard to beat the $99 promo best buy has for it, plus the $60 i have in bb rewards. and its hard to imagine it being worse than my droid eris i had a few years ago. i would have thrown it againt a wall after i got my vzw iphone 4 if they hadnt offered me $150 for it.

im trying to keep as cheap as possible. the nexus is out of my range. im going to end up shelling out $800ish for the lte iphone, so i just need something to get me through till then. like i said sbove, check best buy quick. they have a 2-day sale on the regular razr, its hard to beat $99; or at least $100 off if you have to buy it out right.

----------

if your gonna get the razr get the maxx. I know its more money but the difference is huge. Easily worth the money and the resale value will be much better. The phone has a good reputation.

talkin73

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2008
And in the end VERIZON customers loose!!! AT&T was the better choice from day one. Laughing at all of those who had unlimited data plans with AT&T and left for the Verizon iPhone. Hahahahaahha

Randomly insulting an entire audience of strangers without even the slightest provocation... your parents must be very proud of you.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
if your gonna get the razr get the maxx. I know its more money but the difference is huge. Easily worth the money and the resale value will be much better. The phone has a good reputation.

i think im going to pass on the razr/razr maxx altogether. way, way to many screen cracking problems for my liking. it makes sense why they crack, large screen mixed with little support. any flex at all...and crack.

back to square one...

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
i think im going to pass on the razr/razr maxx altogether. way, way to many screen cracking problems for my liking. it makes sense why they crack, large screen mixed with little support. any flex at all...and crack.

back to square one...

Not sure where you got that info but coming from an iPhone and then saying another phone has cracking issues is kind of ironic. I would either get the nexus or the maxx. The nexus's extended battery is on sale and it actually has a nicer profile than the stock battery IMO. I have the nexus and I couldn't be happier. I have the extended battery too bought it a few weeks ago because my friend had it and I the way it looked and felt. Didn't have any battery issues but if it didn't make the phone any thicker I figured it was worth it. The software is top notched and if your into rooting its even better since there are so many options and devs.

Last edited:

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Not sure where you got that info but coming from an iPhone and then saying another phone has cracking issues is kind of ironic. I would either get the nexus or the maxx. The nexus's extended battery is on sale and it actually has a nicer profile than the stock battery IMO. I have the nexus and I couldn't be happier. I have the extended battery too bought it a few weeks ago because my friend had it ans I the way it looked and felt. Didn't have any battery issues but if t didn't make the phone any thicker I figured it was worth it. The software is top notched and if your into rooting its even better since there are so many options and devs.

not to jinx myself, but my iphones have treated me well in the cracking or breaking department. im rough on my phones, and after both an iphone 4 and 4s, theyve held up really well so far.

while doing research on the problems with the razr/razr maxx, i came across a lot of screens cracking after normal wear and tear. i havent looked or held a maxx yet, but the common theme seems to be that the body is abnormally flexible and the slightest flex, from say putting it in your pocket, causes the screen to crack.

while both are really outside of what i want to spend, i was looking up the nexus as well. my main drawback on that, is that the back camera is only 5mp. im a filmmaker, while i have my pro equipment, i dont carry it everday or everywhere. the nexus will do 1080p no problem, buy the stills will be lacking big time for my everyday needs. and imo, the camera in my iphone 4s is fairly nice, especially when paired with almost dslr.

well see what i end up with, as i am going to make the switch (temporarily).

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You can get a used Thunderbolt. It's not the best phone, but it's been going around for $150 or so.

The only problem with the thunderbolt is that its battery really is not good. You can improve it with getting a larger extended battery and by rooting it and getting a custom rom but still. Your better off finding a nexus (really highly recommend it you may even consider keeping it permanently) or razr especially if your contract is up anyway. Might as well get one last subsidized phone. Spend the money and get the nexus imo. The camera is still decent and takes great video and great shots as long as the lighting is decent. The rest of the phone easily makes up for it anyway. Its very fast and the screen is gorgeous. Also the razr is more durable than the iphone, drop comparisons confirm this as well.

Last edited:

mackingit

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
New York
Cost Benefit Analysis of Sub Vs Unsub iPhone 5 Data pricing

Unsubsidized Unlocked iPhone 5
1. $750 Retail Price
2. $30x24 = $720 Unlimited Data
3. -$300 Resale Value

Total Cost of Phone + Data: $1170
Total Cost Per Month(24 Month contract): 1170/24= $48.75

Subsidized Iphone
1. $200 Retail Price
2. $50x24 = $1200 Tiered Data Pricing
3. -$300 Resale Value

Total Cost of Phone +Data: $1100
Total Cost Per Month(24 Month Contract): 1100/24= $45.83

Conclusions:
The cost is essentially the same for those who use less than 5Gb of data every month. However if you are planning to use more than 5Gb of data it makes sense to go the unsubsidized route.

Other things to consider:
1. $750 Up front cost. The opportunity cost of paying up front
2. The risk Verizon kicks you off the plan after your contract is up. I don't know the legality of that. Please clarify if you are familiar with the FTC spectrum. Can Verizon stop service to you with an expired contract or does the old contract still stand until you sign a new one???
3. The risk Verizon ups their throttling policies
4. The risk Verizon doesn't let you transfer 3g unlimited to 4g unlimited. I am grandfathered into a 3g unlimited plan. Id like to get the iPhone 5 LTE but only with unlimited data
5. I obviously left out voice because of the differences in plan options. The price of voice however is not relevant to data pricing unless verizon bundles data with voice at a discount. Highly doubtful

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Well done!

Unsubsidized Unlocked iPhone 5
1. $750 Retail Price
2. $30x24 = $720 Unlimited Data
3. -$300 Resale Value

Total Cost of Phone + Data: $1170
Total Cost Per Month(24 Month contract): 1170/24= $48.75

Subsidized Iphone
1. $200 Retail Price
2. $50x24 = $1200 Tiered Data Pricing
3. -$300 Resale Value

Total Cost of Phone +Data: $1100
Total Cost Per Month(24 Month Contract): 1100/24= $45.83

Conclusions:
The cost is essentially the same for those who use less than 5Gb of data every month. However if you are planning to use more than 5Gb of data it makes sense to go the unsubsidized route.

2. The risk Verizon kicks you off the plan after your contract is up. I don't know the legality of that. Please clarify if you are familiar with the FTC spectrum. Can Verizon stop service to you with an expired contract or does the old contract still stand until you sign a new one???
4. The risk Verizon doesn't let you transfer 3g unlimited to 4g unlimited. I am grandfathered into a 3g unlimited plan. Id like to get the iPhone 5 LTE but only with unlimited data
5. I obviously left out voice because of the differences in plan options. The price of voice however is not relevant to data pricing unless verizon bundles data with voice at a discount. Highly doubtful
I was concerned about #4 and got a droid to use as a phone for the next few months. My iPhone is now a powerful touch teathered to an android at LTE speeds.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You can get a used Thunderbolt. It's not the best phone, but it's been going around for $150 or so.

i want to get something that ill at least get more than what i paid for it when i sell it. with the thunderbolt, id be lucky to get $150 for it this fall. with the maxx or nexus, ill get at least $300, so $100 more than im paying.

EDIT: btw, what did you end up with? and was your tethering free?

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY

the thing that nobody takes into account is if you have more than one phone using data. my wife and i both have iphones, i have unlimited data, while she has 2gb/month. i use over 5gb, while she uses about 1.5. why pay $80 for 10gb (the tiered plan we would have to get) of shared, when i can pay $60 for unlimited + 2gb?

1. $750 isnt bad, plus i own my phone outright. its really only about $450 after you sell your other phone.
2. the point of the contract is to lock unlimited in for at least two more years. they say its done after, so be it. but if they try to pull it before, they lose their ETF by switching my contract.
3. they cant just up the throttling, they have to abide by the contract, or they lose ETF.
4. every rep ive talked to the last few days promises if i renew before they switch it up this summer, and choose a 4G phone, i can keep my unlimited data. the only thing stopping me is im picky on what phone i want, otherwise, i would of had a 4G unlimted phone days ago. when the iphone lte comes out, ill buy it out right, pop in my 4G sim, and have unlimited data on it.
5. agreed.

mackingit

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
New York
the thing that nobody takes into account is if you have more than one phone using data. my wife and i both have iphones, i have unlimited data, while she has 2gb/month. i use over 5gb, while she uses about 1.5. why pay $80 for 10gb (the tiered plan we would have to get) of shared, when i can pay $60 for unlimited + 2gb?

1. $750 isnt bad, plus i own my phone outright. its really only about $450 after you sell your other phone.
2. the point of the contract is to lock unlimited in for at least two more years. they say its done after, so be it. but if they try to pull it before, they lose their ETF by switching my contract.
3. they cant just up the throttling, they have to abide by the contract, or they lose ETF.
4. every rep ive talked to the last few days promises if i renew before they switch it up this summer, and choose a 4G phone, i can keep my unlimited data. the only thing stopping me is im picky on what phone i want, otherwise, i would of had a 4G unlimted phone days ago. when the iphone lte comes out, ill buy it out right, pop in my 4G sim, and have unlimited data on it.
5. agreed.

I agree about the sharing option. That is something to consider. Although I think most people who are using more than 5Gb are probably using Jailbroken phones and hotspots. Normal phone usage should not go over 5 GB. For those who currently pay extra for the hotspot feature or for other phones, tiered data is certainly something to consider if VZ doesn't charge extra for the hotspot that is.

1. $750 isn't that bad but it is something to consider. It might not be an option for everybody
2. Verizon won't let you sign a new contract without losing unlimited status. At some point your old contract will expire and there is always the risk they drop you as a customer for data hogging. Again I don't know if that is legal or if they would consider that on a mass scale.
3. Verizon already upped the throttling based on their shady contractual language that said if you pose a threat to the network they can do what they need to do to ensure stability. Not word for word obv but you get the idea. I was so mad they did this without changing the contract. You can't even get out of the ETF either.
4. Yes I would renew before the summer as well to lock in for as long as possible. I don't think it will be necessary to make the upgrade to 4G before though. Its looking good for those who have 3g unlimited and want to buy unsubsidized phones to keep it that way. No guarantees though. They can easily reverse shift. Who knows maybe they are trying to pretend 3G unlimited will be grandfathered in to dissuade users from locking in while they can and then they change stance. Nothing is impossible with these oligopolies.

rgravell

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I agree about the sharing option. That is something to consider. Although I think most people who are using more than 5Gb are probably using Jailbroken phones and hotspots. Normal phone usage should not go over 5 GB. For those who currently pay extra for the hotspot feature or for other phones, tiered data is certainly something to consider if VZ doesn't charge extra for the hotspot that is.

1. $750 isn't that bad but it is something to consider. It might not be an option for everybody
2. Verizon won't let you sign a new contract without losing unlimited status. At some point your old contract will expire and there is always the risk they drop you as a customer for data hogging. Again I don't know if that is legal or if they would consider that on a mass scale.
3. Verizon already upped the throttling based on their shady contractual language that said if you pose a threat to the network they can do what they need to do to ensure stability. Not word for word obv but you get the idea. I was so mad they did this without changing the contract. You can't even get out of the ETF either.
4. Yes I would renew before the summer as well to lock in for as long as possible. I don't think it will be necessary to make the upgrade to 4G before though. Its looking good for those who have 3g unlimited and want to buy unsubsidized phones to keep it that way. No guarantees though. They can easily reverse shift. Who knows maybe they are trying to pretend 3G unlimited will be grandfathered in to dissuade users from locking in while they can and then they change stance. Nothing is impossible with these oligopolies.

i disagree with the assumption that if you use over 5gb a month, your phones jailbroken or hotspotting. i use 5gb+ a month, and i do neither. im actually more apt to believe that the majority of those that use high data like me, are also playing by the rules.

verizon will currently let you sign a new contract and keep your unlimited data. its been confirmed from multiple users, including myself. starting at an undetermined date in the near future, they wont let you. as for the ETF, if uou push hard enough on the right person, its waived no problem. im not saying youre going to get it first try, but eventually you will.

mackingit

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
New York
i disagree with the assumption that if you use over 5gb a month, your phones jailbroken or hotspotting. i use 5gb+ a month, and i do neither. im actually more apt to believe that the majority of those that use high data like me, are also playing by the rules.

verizon will currently let you sign a new contract and keep your unlimited data. its been confirmed from multiple users, including myself. starting at an undetermined date in the near future, they wont let you. as for the ETF, if uou push hard enough on the right person, its waived no problem. im not saying youre going to get it first try, but eventually you will.

Of course they let you sign a new contract at the moment. The point I made was that eventually that will change. My list of things to consider simply states the risks that you will inherit in the future if you choose to go the unsubsidized route.

I don't know the numbers on Jailbreaking so I can't really speak on that behalf. However I know that most normal iPhone users don't use more than 2 GB on their phones. To use more than that you are either watching netflix or streaming pandora heavily. I have never used more than 2GB on my phone alone and I use my iPhone heavily. Now I assume 4G will let you surf faster so that will go up but I doubt most need more than 5GB even with 4G. Unlimited data is for those who want flexibility, stream media to their phone, or jailbreak.

Iphonerookie84

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Well my contract doesn't end until January 2014 so by then we shall have at least two new iPhone out,so I'll buy the older one and don't sign a new two year deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.