Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranny2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hi!
I am soon to be the owner of an iPad 2, and I can't wait. One thing I am looking forward to is iMovie for iPad, as it looks simple and fun to use and an improvement over my current Windows Movie Maker!
One question I have though, is:
Is it possible to import video clips from other devices (such as a DSLR) into iMovie using the camera connection kit? I really hope it does, as if it doesn't, then the app will be pointless for me.

Stovepiper

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1115297/

The short answer is no.

The only devices that produce clips that are directly usable by iMovie for iPad are the iPhone 3GS/4 and the iPad 2 (as far as I know). In order to get clips from other cameras to work you must convert them with iTunes, QuickTime, or some other conversion program. It sucks, but that is how it stands right now.

If you happen to take most of your clips with an iPhone and want to edit on the iPad, there is an app called Photo Transfer that let's you wirelessly beam to the files between devices. That's what I've been doing for quick and dirty editing. DLSR clips and more serious work are done on the Mac with Final Cut Pro X.

MrMacMini

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
So Cal....
See this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1115297/

The short answer is no.

The only devices that produce clips that are directly usable by iMovie for iPad are the iPhone 3GS/4 and the iPad 2 (as far as I know). In order to get clips from other cameras to work you must convert them with iTunes, QuickTime, or some other conversion program. It sucks, but that is how it stands right now.

If you happen to take most of your clips with an iPhone and want to edit on the iPad, there is an app called Photo Transfer that let's you wirelessly beam to the files between devices. That's what I've been doing for quick and dirty editing. DLSR clips and more serious work are done on the Mac with Final Cut Pro X.

You can transfer your iPhone videos directly to your iPad using the CCK. Just connect the CCK to the iPad and the iPhone to the CCK via the USB/Charging cable.

fiedel

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Re:Importing Video Clips to iMovie for iPad

These are some steps that you could follow...

Step 1: Run iPad 2 Movie Converter
Launch the program and then choose the Video Converter by clicking the second button on the right.

Step 2. Import Files and Set Output Settings
This is the most important step to convert video to iPad 2 for iMovie. Just click "Open file" to import the video files you want to convert to iPad 2, then choose output format from the "Profile" area and set an output folder for saving the converted files.

Step 3. Start Conversion
OK! Click the "Convert" button to start video to iPad 2 conversion.

Step 4. Transfer Video to iMovie on iPad 2
The last step to convert video to iMovie for iPad 2 is to transfer the converted video files to iPad 2 with iTunes.

Done! After you convert video to iMovie for iPad 2, you can edit the videos on iMovie for iPad 2 as you wish.

Apart from importing videos to iMovie for iPad 2 , you can also convert and rip DVD movies to iMovie on iPad 2 with the best iPad 2 Movie Converter Suite. Download to have a free try right now!

ajaxme

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

I've been working on a full compatibility list of current cameras. Many of them work without any kind of re-encoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.