Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Hi there,
MBP13 2010 OS X 10.7.4
Intel 320 Series SSD (300GB)
USING FILE VAULT 2

When I run Verify Disk in Disk Utility from within my login, I get the following error:
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting
Error: Storage system verify or repair failed.

When I bootup using Cmd-R and then using Disk Utility and repeating the process, I get an OK result.

Is this a bug? A problem? A result of FV2?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
nick

nickdag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
For what it's worth, I'm getting the exact same error. This only happened after updating to 10.7.4.

Running a stock Mid 2009 15" MacBook Pro. FileVault 2 also running since reinstalling OS X 10.7.3.

Recovery HD also says everything's OK. Haven't noticed any problems while using the system, so it may be a regression somewhere in Disk Utility's disk verification. Running the "Verify Disk" on the partition itself shows everything is OK.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately in my case I haven't run Verify in ages and have no comparison to previous versions.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
@nickdag:
I would try this:
1. Quit Disk Utility.
2. Open a Terminal window, and type:
sudo /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk\ Utility
(or something similar)
then enter your admin password.

This launches DU with administrator privileges (not super user privileges).

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Hi there,
MBP13 2010 OS X 10.7.4
Intel 320 Series SSD (300GB)
USING FILE VAULT 2

When I run Verify Disk in Disk Utility from within my login, I get the following error:
Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting
Error: Storage system verify or repair failed.

When I bootup using Cmd-R and then using Disk Utility and repeating the process, I get an OK result.

Is this a bug? A problem? A result of FV2?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
nick

Similar issue here
MBA13 2011 with FV2 - only since 10.7.4 (I ran DU on 10.7.3 a few days before the "upgrade" and it was fine)

Would have though that by the 4th service pack Apple would have a stable OS...
:(

JohnRocks

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
My guess is that since Disk Utility couldn't see the hidden recovery partition and since that partition is physically AFTER the Lion partition it could not resize. But by mounting the hidden Recover Partition, then Disk Utility was able to move the Recovery Partition and expand the Lion partition.

Revearti

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
I think FV2 is the problem because of random results. I just formatted my Mini (2010) and Air (2010) with my Lion 10.7.4 USB key. After completing minor updates on both, I enabled FV2 without any problems. Then I wanted to create encrypted external drives with FV2. The following problems occurred:

(1) I formatted both drives with zeros (not encrypted) without any issues.
(2) If I do a quick encrypted erase using the Mini with FW 800 or USB 2, Disk Utility crashes.
(3) If I do a quick encrypted erase using the Air, Disk Utility does not crash.
(4) If I verify the disks using the Mini or the Air, I get the following message: "Storage system verify or repair failed."
(5) If I verify the actual partition using the Mini or the Air, everything is okay.

With these random results, I can't trust FV2 at this point. I'm worried something disastrous could happen in the near future.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
This thread is old, but I have somewhat similar problem.

Disk Utility in normal mode (log in from administrator account) or from Command R shows everything is normal, but when I do it in Safe Mode I get this:
aXTXAlF.png

Is this a bug? I wouldn't even know about it if not for random testing using Safe Mode.

When I had Sierra, Disk Utility didn't even want to run in Safe Mode when doing this scan on Apple HDD, just popping window saying the thing about partition map. Back to El Capitan, it now looks like that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.