Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Why doesn't Apple just make two sizes or even three different sized phones. Leave the current 3.5" for the ladies and make a larger 4.8" for the guys and maybe have an in-between size too. Whats the problem with Apple giving people a little choice, their mac laptops come in different sizes and so why not their phones?

Why are these sizes specific for sex? Is the iPhone 5 going to be the blatantly sexist edition?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Fragmentation is still not as bad as Android.

And what will you say when the iPad also changes its aspect ratio? What's next? Will the next iPod nano be capable of running iOS? What about fragmentation then?

I'd rather see the iPhone/iPod touch get the same aspect ratio as the iPad and the same resolution as the first iPad. Less of a mess this way.

Going with the "X isn't as bad as Y" is not a good way to look at things if you want to move forward.

Renzatic

Suspended
Respectable size, no doubt.

The ladies haven't complained about the size yet. They all say it looks a little too big at first glance, but it's a comfortable weight, and fits perfectly in the palm of their hand.

arms.gif

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I can't be the only person who sees this redesign as aesthetically subpar.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Fake !

No way apple will release a phone with seams!

Lol remember those guys ?!

It's real and I'm disappointed :(

Apple will probably tell us why it's better to go taller than taller and wider. Pretty much telling us we are stupid

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
And what will you say when the iPad also changes its aspect ratio? What's next? Will the next iPod nano be capable of running iOS? What about fragmentation then?

I'd rather see the iPhone/iPod touch get the same aspect ratio as the iPad and the same resolution as the first iPad. Less of a mess this way.

Going with the "X isn't as bad as Y" is not a good way to look at things if you want to move forward.

Why in the hell would the iPad change it's aspect ratio? It's perfect.

And no, it would not be cool if the iPhone/iPod Touch had a 4:3 aspect ratio. That new LG phone with a 4:3 aspect ratio looks ridiculous. If the iPhone was a small iPad with it's aspect ratio and resolution that would be a huge mess.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
This is a good point. How could they justify holding a developer conference all about iOS 6, and then a couple months later go "Oh, here's a giant change to the screen that you're developing for! We could have told you a couple months ago - we knew then - but we didn't."

That'd do nothing but alienate developers and make it harder to get apps that fit this alleged screen more quickly.

With that said, if the iPhone screen size is changing in a way that requires developers to change their apps, then expect a huge WWDC. We could see new MacBooks and the new iPhone.

Yup, common sense. Was just telling my buddy this in the morning. WWDC will be very telling.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
(I posted this on a previous thread, and got one snarky response. However, since I have seen a few replies on this thread with respect to aspect ratio and the idea of several models/sizes, I am reposting this).

Perhaps, some of these questions have already been answered before. FYI, I have a 3GS and have been waiting for a larger screen to debut on the iPhone (since I really don't want to go to Android and live separate mobile lives)...but:

1 - Why is it so difficult for Apple to design/accept a larger screen size for the iPhone? We have an iPad, with a different resolution that conforms to the 'amazing, mystical' retina requirements (e.g. ppi, etc). Then, there are the rumors of the iPad 7". So, hey, we can go 7"!

Also, why would a 'taller' iPhone settle this argument? Wouldn't that create totally non-proportional resolutions, and make things worse for app developers, etc.?

2- Maybe this is a simpler bullet, but Angry Birds (for example) is on every fricking smartphone...of every screen resolution, ppi, display size, etc...in the Android world, for instance. It's on iPad 10" and will be on iPad 7"...so...what is the issue? What am I missing? (Seriously, I plead ignorance on this; so can anyone explain it, in brief?).

3 - Yes, I have heard the 'I don't care' remark about the screen size (perhaps they use their iPads more for 'larger screen' tasks and therefore don't care?). Fine...make a SMALLER phone for them (some even say that! ) and make a second iPhone, like the rumored iPad 7" as the alternative to the 10"...there IS a market for that, and they need to use it. Every phone coming out is larger for a reason. The market demands it.

Samsung has how many models? LG? So, come out with an iPhone that is 4.5"+ and keep the damn 3.5" for those that don't care or want it small.

I have seen the light with the Samsung Note. (5.3" screen size)..it's pretty much the largest that I could use as a phone. Great...so that has been determined, the race is over for 'who can make the largest thing they call a phone'. In fact, it's a little too large (but, good for NBA players!)...so i'd say 4.5-4.8" is optimal, and I ~might~ try a 5" if it was compact (no bezel, thin).

4" screen is not enough...'tall' proportion is not acceptable (and again, how is it helpful to proportionality/aspect ratio?). If Apple does this, it will be 5+ years before they change it again...and by the end of this year, myself and others will be making a big choice on whether to move to android -phone-wise.

Apple...4.5"+ or bust! The market is demanding it!

The reason it got shot down in the other thread is because its a tired argument and doesn't make sense.
Apple is not in the business of making a phone that everyone on the planet wants. Apple makes the best phone it knows how for the greatest number of people. It does not and will never sell things to appeal to niche's like yourself.

Apple...4.5"+ or bust! The market is demanding it!

That sentence there is why no one takes your argument seriously, because you are obviously delusional.
I cannot state this any clearer: Apple makes tens of billions (BILLIONS!) of profit (PROFIT!) from iPhone sales every quarter (QUARTER!). They make 75% of the entire mobile phone (MOBILE - not smartphone) industry's profits. The market is buying their phone as fast as they can make them and is demanding nothing except more phones. If you cannot see that, and still think or hope that Apple will take pity on the few thousand people that won't buy an iPhone because of its size, you are truly delusional. If they change the size of their phone it is because they've decided it is a better phone, not to pander to people who want a bigger phone. That is also why Apple will never make more than one phone size. They don't need to. They sell 30+ million phones per quarter. The amount of extra phones they would sell by having more than one size would be far outweighed by the costs involved in doing so (and the annoyance for developers)

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
To those who expect Apple to give in to what you want:

They won't do it. They won't make 5 different phones, each with a different size. They won't give you several options beyond a white or black model.

Apple is in the business of making products you don't know you want yet. And such is the case with the next iPhone.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The reason it got shot down in the other thread is because its a tired argument and doesn't make sense.
Apple is not in the business of making a phone that everyone on the planet wants. Apple makes the best phone it knows how for the greatest number of people. It does not and will never sell things to appeal to niche's like yourself.

That sentence there is why no one takes your argument seriously, because you are obviously delusional.
I cannot state this any clearer: Apple makes tens of billions (BILLIONS!) of profit (PROFIT!) from iPhone sales every quarter (QUARTER!). They make 75% of the entire mobile phone (MOBILE - not smartphone) industry's profits. The market is buying their phone as fast as they can make them and is demanding nothing except more phones. If you cannot see that, and still think or hope that Apple will take pity on the few thousand people that won't buy an iPhone because of its size, you are truly delusional. If they change the size of their phone it is because they've decided it is a better phone, not to pander to people who want a bigger phone. That is also why Apple will never make more than one phone size. They don't need to. They sell 30+ million phones per quarter. The amount of extra phones they would sell by having more than one size would be far outweighed by the costs involved in doing so (and the annoyance for developers)

In an argument as to what CONSUMERS want in a phone, why do you fanboys always make it about what makes sense for the best profitability Apple? Are you Tim Cook? :rolleyes:

----------

Apple is in the business of making products you don't know you want yet. And such is the case with the next iPhone.

Or more accurately being 100% positive what you DO want, but know you'll never get. :) I'd love to hear of even ONE single example / feature of your way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.