Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Apple really starting to lose their mojo with ads. These new siri ads are extremely lame and extremely boring. The fact that they are pushing siri like it's a finished polished product and at the same time cry beta when people complain how deceiving the ads are, just reeks of shadiness. Sorry but a small quick faded disclaimer at the end of every commercial isn't sufficient to excuse yourself how misleading your siri ads are.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
From the headline alone, I immediately imagined the hilarious and disturbing possibilities. I was not disappointed.

Bizarre in the best of ways. My favorite Apple ads ever. Even if they speak only to me, and I already have an iPhone!

P.S. Being John Malkovich is an awesome movie.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
Apple really starting to lose their mojo with ads. These new siri ads are extremely lame and extremely boring. The fact that they are pushing siri like it's a finished polished product and at the same time cry beta when people complain how deceiving the ads are, just reeks of shadiness. Sorry but a small quick faded disclaimer at the end of every commercial isn't sufficient to excuse yourself how misleading your siri ads are.
How are the ads misleading?

Everything they do in the ads can be easily done on my iPhone 4S, albeit not as quickly.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Wow. I guess the iPhone is ALL about Siri now. Which is still in "beta". And really works almost nothing like it does in the commercials, since I always immediately grab the phone and repeat what's on the commercials and get nonsense results after 2 levels of verification and 3 misunderstandings. That's assuming I can get an AT&T signal in the first place.

Maybe Siri likes celebrities a lot better than me. :)

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
truly it was a bit creepy...the background music didn't help much either.

Nothing wrong with sitting around in the dark listening to Maria Callas. Plenty of normal, perfectly sane people do it.

Hawking LV bags on a forum though, that's just crazy.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
As a huge fan of Apple's advertising, I hate the SIRI campaign.

Apple is best at tapping into the HUMAN experience; not indulging in celebrities talking to "a robot"... an application that most of us know rarely works to begin with.

Zoeey Deschanel asking her phone if it's raining outside!?!? Really?!?!?

Enough!!!!!

I know! The "Get a Mac" ads were way better! If I were going to buy a 4S, Siri would not be what I'd be buying it for.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
How are the ads misleading?

Everything they do in the ads can be easily done on my iPhone 4S, albeit not as quickly.

Yeah, the ads are not misleading. It's just that Siri isn't very good at recognizing words. It's still better than anything else I've seen, though. The whole idea of voice control is mostly pointless.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What is it about the new loyal Apple fans that they can't understand what a desktop computer is?
A Laptop is not a desktop.
An iMac, is not a desktop.

An iMac is a desktop...

"A desktop computer is a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer." -Wikipedia

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Remember when Apple made desktop computers? Yeah, those were the days... Now it's iCrap, celebrity ads, and publicity.

In 10 years Apple will be no different than the behemoth it originally set to be better than. Gotta love shareholders.

God forbid a company actually respond to the free markets and provide what consumers WANT to buy without someone whining about it. :rolleyes:

----------

Wow. I guess the iPhone is ALL about Siri now. Which is still in "beta". And really works almost nothing like it does in the commercials, since I always immediately grab the phone and repeat what's on the commercials and get nonsense results after 2 levels of verification and 3 misunderstandings. That's assuming I can get an AT&T signal in the first place.

Maybe Siri likes celebrities a lot better than me. :)

Perhaps change carriers and speak proper English eloquently and your problems will be fixed on their own.

thisisthechris

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
The "Life" ad directly quotes Monty Python's Meaning of Life. Now I need to watch the film again for the millionth time :D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Monty Python's Meaning of Life

Siri: Try and be nice to people. Avoid eating fat. Read a good book every now and then. Get some walking in. And try to live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

That's a direct quote from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life! Love it! :D

...bah, somebody beat me to it. :p

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I like the ads because I like John M. So many are ultra youth oriented and it's Nice to see some older actors and the darkness about it is cool.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I love all the celeb ads, I want to see Christopher Walken in the next one!:D

I would pay to see that ad. Thing is, Christopher Walken would totally do the ad. He'll do anything. The man will literally take any job that's offered to him as long as he's not too busy. Hopefully, somebody offers.

Anyway, these two are kind of bizarre. Not even good at showing off Siri. One word requests? Laughing at a joke before it's even said? He's a good celebrity to use, he has the right sort of level and type of fame, but these were poorly done if the goal is to sell people Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.