Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
- the even more pathetic OS X Server (or what remains of it);
Dead Market. I am happy they released the software at a more than reasonable price. We updated the work server and I purchased it for my mac mini at home.

- lack of built-in video codecs for Safari and QuickTime (why do I have to install the now-dead Perian for that?);
Which codecs are missing? They probably need a licensing fee or not as popular as you think they are.

- lack of possibilities to tweak settings such as mouse polling rates (so as to avoid jumpy cursors in third-party mouses);
MS and Logitech have control panels to let you further tweak the settings. Why should Apple compensate for crappy hardware. This isn't Windows where they can't seem to ever get rid of the Parallel Port drivers.

- 64-bit awareness and multithreading across the board (I have EIGHT cores waiting to be used and only HandBrake or a handful of pro apps employ them!);
Should Apple force the devs to go 64-bit? I think much of the core Apple apps that would benefit from 64-bit have bumped up already

- basic Blu-Ray support (not that I care either, but why not?);
Apart from the licensing fees. Apple would need to get their software certified and it will need to disable itself if the BD Consortium deems it so. Also with the prices of the players nearing sub $100 this is not much of an issue.

- Safari memory leaks (not that I personally care with 16GB of RAM);
Use Chrome? Honestly I mainly use Chrome because Firefox has the worst record with memory leaks. In fact you can combine all of the Safari, Chrome and IE memory leaks and it still would not amount to what Firefox pisses away.

- iMessages' disk space bug (which ends up consuming all RAM plus all available space in the startup disk);
It's still in BETA

I didn't comment on the rest of the stuff cause I don't know much about those issues and I do agree with the WebDAV speed issues. I also want to add that I wish the Finder would not throw up on every device mounted on the system.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
Looking forward to Mountain Lion, but I sort of keep feeling that OSX could do with an exciting new feature or look. I think Windows mobile (and 8 by the looks of things) is blocky and garish, but at least it is different. I'm not suggesting OSX needs to follow the same route, but I'm yearning for something a bit different, a "killer app" reason for upgrading rather than these peripheral tweaks.

A lot of people now have multiple Apple devices (a laptop, iPhone and/or iPad for example) plus by all accounts we'll all be wanting Apple Televisions soon. So maybe OSX could get a kick-ass integration feature, allowing you to do more with everything.

Alas I have no concrete idea here! I guess I've just been a bit underwhelmed by Snow Leopard and Lion as I don't really use the peripheral services (I'm looking at you, Launch Control...)

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I don't think apple will keep dictation exclusive to 2012 macs, though, it's entirely possible. I'd think they would prefer to have more mountain lion sales than the few Mac sales they would gain from keeping dictation exclusive.

Don't iPhone 4S and iPad 3 have a special chip to enable Siri? Could this be emulated in software on a Mac? Or will new June 2012 Macs have this built-in?

Also, perhaps when connected to a power source a mac could be set to listen for a dictation command all the time?

I wonder if full Siri will be limited to iPhones, as it is now.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Use Chrome? Honestly I mainly use Chrome because Firefox has the worst record with memory leaks. In fact you can combine all of the Safari, Chrome and IE memory leaks and it still would not amount to what Firefox pisses away.

Only in an apple forum can a tech company be comsidered to eschew criticism for the (admitted) poor performance of one of their flagship products (safari) via a suggestion to use an arch and much maligned competitors product (googles chrome) and the belittling of a free similar product offered by a another company with infinitesimally less resources.

Only in an apple forum...:rolleyes:

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
flagship products (safari)

Flagship product? Really? Safari is not even on a level of iTunes or iPhotos when it comes to importance for the platform. Safari is above TextEdit, leveled with iCal and below any of the iLife/iWork apps. Note that WebKit is needed for a lot of the iTunes Store functionality but the browser itself is still lower in terms of importance.

As a Web Developer, I need to have all of the browsers on my computer, including Firefox and IE (via VM and CrossOver) but all of my leisure browsing is done on Chrome. It's mainly due to stability but I have used Safari at times for non-work related functions.

appleaddictx

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Trainable Siri

I speak very clearly already, and Siri understands my voice when I speak that little bit slower than I normallly do. There are some commands that I want to ask Siri for faster though. There should be a way to train Siri by typing in a phrase like "call mom" and then recording yourself saying "call mom" in whatever unclear voice you can think of. This way, if Siri does not understand you, after trying to transcribe your voice, she will try and match it with one of the "call mom" lessons you programmed into her. If your voice is changing (awkward times) you can just browse your list of teachings and delete ones that don't sound like you for faster Siri action. Just a theory.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Only in an apple forum can a tech company be comsidered to eschew criticism for the (admitted) poor performance of one of their flagship products (safari) via a suggestion to use an arch and much maligned competitors product (googles chrome) and the belittling of a free similar product offered by a another company with infinitesimally less resources.

Only in an apple forum...:rolleyes:

I'm a native speaker of English but haven't the slightest clue what you're trying to say in that convoluted tangle of words. :confused:

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
Don't iPhone 4S and iPad 3 have a special chip to enable Siri? Could this be emulated in software on a Mac? Or will new June 2012 Macs have this built-in?

Also, perhaps when connected to a power source a mac could be set to listen for a dictation command all the time?

I wonder if full Siri will be limited to iPhones, as it is now.

I must say, if the previous rumor to as if the apple Televison will maintain Siri, wouldn't it make since to add "fully Siri" to the Mac line to give it that distance test run before moving it to a television.

I also believe it could be a key iOS feature in iOS6, much like multitasking (was) where it is limited to certain devices, including bringing it to the new iPad.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I am gonna repeat the post I wrote in another thread in order to express, once more, a feeling similar to that above.

I want to make it clear that I am probably one of the most vocals "fanboys" out there, having converted at least 15 people to Mac over the last 5 years.

Moreover, I absolutely hate Windows in all its forms. However, the point I am trying to make is that Apple NEEDS to devote further resources to the OS X team in order to: (i) fix outstanding issues; (ii) come up with new features on the basis of experienced users' feedback, and NOT on automatic presumptions that whatever appears on iOS must be replicated on OS X.

I also noted above a number of other problems which are being either deliberately ignored by Apple, or for which there are no specific resources available, such as:

- the pathetic Airport Utility (the availability of version 5.6 notwithstanding);
- the less-than-ideal implementation and performance of OpenGL/GPU drivers;
- lack of built-in video codecs for Safari and QuickTime (why do I have to install the now-dead Perian for that?);
- lack of possibilities to tweak settings such as mouse polling rates (so as to avoid jumpy cursors in third-party mouses);
- resolution-independence options as referred to above - I mean, Apple has ALWAYS been at the forefront of handicapped people's needs;
- 64-bit awareness and multithreading across the board (I have EIGHT cores waiting to be used and only HandBrake or a handful of pro apps employ them!);
- dual/triple monitor unified desktop support;
- iMessages' disk space bug (which ends up consuming all RAM plus all available space in the startup disk);
- better WebDAV and so on;
- a growing disregard for Apple UI standards across the board.

So there you go; or do you really want me to care about on-screen reminders? For this we already have Growl. And you must agree with me: Launchpad was definitely not Apple's finest hour.

Apple's releases lately have been more lackluster, Simply because there's not much more they can dd to OSX. aside from bug fixes, stability, and better performance.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
I am gonna repeat the post I wrote in another thread in order to express, once more, a feeling similar to that above.

I want to make it clear that I am probably one of the most vocals "fanboys" out there, having converted at least 15 people to Mac over the last 5 years.

Moreover, I absolutely hate Windows in all its forms. However, the point I am trying to make is that Apple NEEDS to devote further resources to the OS X team in order to: (i) fix outstanding issues; (ii) come up with new features on the basis of experienced users' feedback, and NOT on automatic presumptions that whatever appears on iOS must be replicated on OS X.

I also noted above a number of other problems which are being either deliberately ignored by Apple, or for which there are no specific resources available, such as:

- the pathetic Airport Utility (the availability of version 5.6 notwithstanding);
- the less-than-ideal implementation and performance of OpenGL/GPU drivers;
- resolution-independence options as referred to above - I mean, Apple has ALWAYS been at the forefront of handicapped people's needs;
- dual/triple monitor unified desktop support;
- better WebDAV and so on;
- a growing disregard for Apple UI standards across the board.

So there you go; or do you really want me to care about on-screen reminders? For this we already have Growl. And you must agree with me: Launchpad was definitely not Apple's finest hour.

Don’t be dramatic.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006

<snip>

I agree with you. I'd rather see a stable OS than one with a wealth of features wobbling on top of jello. I keep expecting to see that Lion has been made stable, but it seems everyone is really being flogged to get Mountain Lion out the door no matter what condition it may be in. At least make OSX as bug free as iOS.

I'm still on Snow Leopard and cooling my heels.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm still on Snow Leopard and cooling my heels.

I just jumped off a workstation still running Snow Leopard and was amazed at how it does seem to run considerably faster and smoother than Lion. I'd downgrade my MBP back to SL if I wasn't holding out some hope that ML will actually debut soon.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I speak very clearly already, and Siri understands my voice when I speak that little bit slower than I normallly do. There are some commands that I want to ask Siri for faster though. There should be a way to train Siri by typing in a phrase like "call mom" and then recording yourself saying "call mom" in whatever unclear voice you can think of. This way, if Siri does not understand you, after trying to transcribe your voice, she will try and match it with one of the "call mom" lessons you programmed into her. If your voice is changing (awkward times) you can just browse your list of teachings and delete ones that don't sound like you for faster Siri action. Just a theory.

Siri is beta, which is to say that Siri is being trained as we speak.

Please pardon that tiny joke. :D

----------

Flagship product? Really? Safari is not even on a level of iTunes or iPhotos when it comes to importance for the platform. Safari is above TextEdit, leveled with iCal and below any of the iLife/iWork apps. Note that WebKit is needed for a lot of the iTunes Store functionality but the browser itself is still lower in terms of importance.

As a Web Developer, I need to have all of the browsers on my computer, including Firefox and IE (via VM and CrossOver) but all of my leisure browsing is done on Chrome. It's mainly due to stability but I have used Safari at times for non-work related functions.

I read this month that Chrome is beating out IE as the most used browser. I'd consider using it if it weren't for Google using my browsing history to throw ads at me or sell my info to the highest bidder.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Anyone know if there are two distinct Command buttons, as interpreted by OS X? If so, I'm hoping Apple lets us change the shortcut, as some third-party keyboards may just implement two 'LeftCommand' or 'RightCommand' keys instead of one of each (I know they do this for Shift keys sometimes).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I really hope they hold out some great new features in ML that come with iOS 6 , otherwise it looks like OS X is again a version behind iOS 6 from a feature perspective.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Im hoping on the new macs one of the Function keys would be it. Or where the disk eject button is if the new macs really don't have a superdrive anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.