Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lokoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
So i just checked my storage on my Macbook Pro, and it says i have 145 GB on backups?

I can't seem to find the backups anywhere on my computer, does anyone know where they are located?

Screenshot of my disk:

2ikql2e.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

Lokoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Amazing! just got it removed, using sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Thank you, so much!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

This has to be one of the most ridiculous pre set replies I've ever seen. Can't you just tell him what the backups portion of the space indicator means instead of spewing all that nonsense for things he didn't even ask about? There's no need to answer everything there is to know about storage on Lion for this question.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Lokoso,

How did you get that graphic image? I know you get similar on iTines …. but then for iPhone/iPod etc.
On Lion, click  > About This Mac
This has to be one of the most ridiculous pre set replies I've ever seen. Can't you just tell him what the backups portion of the space indicator means instead of spewing all that nonsense for things he didn't even ask about? There's no need to answer everything there is to know about storage on Lion for this question.
When you answer thousands of posts asking related questions, you'll find the value in covering all bases. The OP got the answer they wanted, obviously.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So i just checked my storage on my Macbook Pro, and it says i have 145 GB on backups?

I can't seem to find the backups anywhere on my computer, does anyone know where they are located?

Screenshot of my disk:

It is just temp Time Machine backups from when your machine was away from a backup destination. Lion will delete (shrink) that space if the system needs it, so you can ignore it. If you want to manually reclaim the space, just turn Time Machine off then back on and it will zero out that backup space you see in your screen cap.

----------

Amazing! just got it removed, using sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Thank you, so much!

You may not want to disable that. It will leave you without temp backups when away from an external backup source. Say you are away from the backup drive and discover you want to retrieve a file you deleted a couple hours ago... with this feature turned on you would be able to go into Time Machine and get the file back from this temp storage area. Lion manages this space so there really is no harm in leaving it turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.