Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
I know what I would like I'm just horrible with photoshop. Anybody take pity and help me?

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Well the Picture of Pistol Pete I would like as the Background.

The Picture with the Ride Em' Cowboy. I would like to actually say Ride Em' Cowboys and be in the upper left hand corner and slanted. I kind of would like to see how it would look with Pistol Pete off center and to the right.

If its not too much trouble I would like to see how it is with Pistol Pete in the middle and these first Football hemet on the bottom left and the second football helmet bottom right and the white Basketball in the upper right. Also with the Ride Em' Cowboys the same. And throw in a Dobsie with the same font somewhere not to big, but visible.

Also you can throw in your artistic style if this sounds stupid. I just am horrible at photoshop and the iPad app is not my best friend. Thanks for your time. As you can see I like OSU and would like a background to show it off.:D

Attachments

• OSU.jpg
    OSU.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 608
  • ridem.jpg
    ridem.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 161
  • OSU Helmet.jpg
    OSU Helmet.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 432
  • Okie State helmet.jpg
    Okie State helmet.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 529
  • bball.jpg
    bball.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,783

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
First, it's good to see someone enthusiastic about something.

I think the problem here might not be that you are not sure how to incorporate all of these images together, as much as it might be that doing that might not be the best approach.

I think any of these images of the helmets or PP himself are probably a lot stronger on their own than together. Having lots of stuff removes the focus on what you are trying to say; there is a point of diminishing returns in anything, and for this that line is crossed just after you try to put more than one of these images into the same background.

If it were me, I would forget PhotoShop, and create three individual backgrounds of the 2 helmets and PP and then rotate them in a screen saver program, or rotating wallpaper program, or both. I'm not sure the screen saver is that easy on Windows, but it is pretty simple on a Mac. On either platform you can have the wallpaper target a folder with multiple images in it and have them rotate. The Mac OS screensaver app will even do "Ken Burns" zooms and dissolves, which is pretty neat

Last edited:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
First, it's good to see someone enthusiastic about something.

I think the problem here might not be that you are not sure how to incorporate all of these images together, as much as it might be that doing that might not be the best approach.

I think any of these images of the helmets or PP himself are probably a lot stronger on their own than together. Having lots of stuff removes the focus on what you are trying to say; there is a point of diminishing returns in anything, and for this that line is crossed just after you try to put more than one of these images into the same background.

If it were me, I would forget PhotoShop, and create three individual backgrounds of the 2 helmets and PP and then rotate them in a screen saver program, or rotating wallpaper program, or both. I'm not sure the screen saver is that easy on Windows, but it is pretty simple on a Mac. On either platform you can have the wallpaper target a folder with multiple images in it and have them rotate. The Mac OS screensaver app will even do "Ken Burns" zooms and dissolves, which is pretty neat

I realize that this is just for a desktop, but you are still dealing with the limitations of copyright.

Link

Here is one that I found on DeviantArt.

Dale

http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/wallpaper/?qh=&section=&q=oklahoma+state

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
Well I'm not 100% sure on copyright, but the Pistol Pete photo is my friends creation and the writing is a sowing pattern style. Thanks though.

That doesn't really answer the question though.

Your friend could draw Mickey Mouse, and Disneyland would still come after you / him.

Is your friend the creator of Pistol Pete?

Or did he have permission to recreate the character?

Edit: I don't think there's a need for permission to recreate Pistol Pete for your own personal use. However, I think issues could arise if you tried to distributed and sell that image.

Last edited:

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
What is your screen resolution?

My 20 iMac is 1680 x 1050. My 27 inch no clue.

----------

Your friend could draw Mickey Mouse, and Disneyland would still come after you / him.

Edit: I don't think there's a need for permission to recreate Pistol Pete for your own personal use. However, I think issues could arise if you tried to distributed and sell that image.

Understandable.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006

There is such a thing as derivate work that it okay to do. That's when you take a public image and manipulate it enough so that it becomes a new work of art. Warhol's Marilyn comes to mind. But the changes have to be significant enough to justify calling it something new.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Here are a couple of desktops I put together -- I used Illustrator to trace a hi-res logo I found and then PS'd it. Hope you like. It will fit a 27" Apple display which is 2560 x 1440. It's quite a bit different from what you were requesting but I just didn't have time to follow the instructions to the letter.

It's the next day and played a little more with Pete. I think this third one's the best yet.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 170
  • desktop2.jpg
    desktop2.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 188
  • desktop3.jpg
    desktop3.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Dobbs2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Here are a couple of desktops I put together -- I used Illustrator to trace a hi-res logo I found and then PS'd it. Hope you like. It will fit a 27" Apple display which is 2560 x 1440. It's quite a bit different from what you were requesting but I just didn't have time to follow the instructions to the letter.

It's the next day and played a little more with Pete. I think this third one's the best yet.

Awesome! Thanks for everything. I wasn't too sure about the private messages. I've never sent those on macrumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.