Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

logo-sketchbookink.jpg

At the introduction for the third generation iPad this past March, Apple invited a number of developers to showcase their apps designed for the Retina display-equipped new iPad. One of these was Autodesk, a major developer that has been prolific at writing apps for iOS. Their new app, Sketchbook Ink, has finally arrived on the App Store.
Powered by a brand new engine, Autodesk SketchBook Ink introduces unique technology for artists to create stunning, high-resolution ink-style artwork. The SketchBook Ink addition to the SketchBook family increases the number of choices available to artists to express their creative visions in a digital environment.
The app offers 7 different strokes to users with virtual ink that doesn't simply appear on the page -- instead, it leaves "interesting little imperfections as if it were seeping into the paper", says Harry McCracken writing for Technologizer:
And Ink has one noteworthy feature which SketchBook Pro doesn't -- the drawings you create aren't bitmaps. Instead, they're resolution-independent, so you can zoom in as much as you like and can save them to the iPad's Photo Library, Dropbox, iTunes or email at resolutions that go beyond even the new iPad's 2048-by-1536 pixels without introducing any jaggies. You can opt for up to 11,336-by-8727 resolution; that's especially useful if you plan to eventually print your creation.
mccrackensketchbookink.jpg

Untitled Crocodile Drawing by Harry McCracken
SketchBook Ink is available for iPad for the introductory price of $1.99, going up to $4.99 eventually. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Autodesk Releases 'Sketchbook Ink' iPad Drawing App Demo'd at New iPad Launch

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
So much lost potential without the *OPTION* for a proper stylus. I keep an old Toshiba Portege Tablet PC around solely to use with Sketchbook Pro, because I prefer not to draw with an oversized pen tip. It is also quite important to be able to properly rest your wrist on the surface.

Here's to hoping Apple expands their product line to include an iPad Pro someday soon, complete with a built in digitizer for the "professional" crowd.

appahappa

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2010
I bought it but it is by far not as good as Procreate. And it's pretty slow.

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Can these be exported in some vector format that Illustrator can open, like .pdf, .eps, or .ai? That would be awesome.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Can these be exported in some vector format that Illustrator can open, like .pdf, .eps, or .ai? That would be awesome.

Nope! PNG..............but at least you get to pick a resolution on export.......still a little lame. Even Adobe's Ideas app has a PDF export. This does have better brush options though. I was hoping for more. :(

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
It's a pitty I'm a hopeless painter, so I guess it doesn't matter how good or bad this piece of software is as I ain't gonna make any good out of it and I guess it's the oposite for someone who knows something about painting. But oh well, I hope this is gonna be a good tool for someone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No iPad here, but this looks great. I hope they push it out for Android since I'm probably not getting an iPad until the next refresh/7in comes out. Does it not do export to PSD like Sketchbook Mobile/Pro does?! Does it even do layers?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
What these developers are missing out on is they need to make their software read and write to other formats. I MUST have support for Adobe Illustrator complete with layers, etc. If they can't do it, the software is just a pretty notepad.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Very disappointing initial release. No layers(!?), can't even position the reference image, no opacity, no vector output, no brush controls, no line smoothing, does not run smoothly on the iPad 3, can be glitchy, no ability to take advantage of the vector-ness and edit or move lines after the stroke, etc.

The color palette is well implemented, the interface that is there is fine, and it's a vector based app with ink flow tech so it's unique but that's about it. I love vector stuff but without even havng real vector output where i could work around the in app flaws properly I'd jut stick to a decent res normal art app with 10x the features.

Hopefully it gets significant updates in a timely matter, I was excited for this app and checking for news regularly. Was expecting more from a major company like Autodesk, must have been a very small team working on this.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Steve Jobs ;)

Nope. Steve never blocked the use of a stylus in any of the iOS devices. Hell they were selling Pogos and such in the stores for a while. Probably dropped them because they were getting 5 finger discounted too much.

Folks just like to scream that Apple is anti stylus because of Steve's early comments which were about requiring a stylus. And they say that until Apple puts in support for use with a stylus that has a tip the size of a pen and 1000 levels of pressure sensitivity like it's a freaking Cintiq (and costs $2 to buy of course) then it doesn't 'support' a real stylus.

Meanwhile you have folks like Jim Lee from DC comics doing rather dang good drawings on the iPad as it was when it came out 2 years ago and still doing them. Often with his fingers. If a pro artist isn't complaining about the iPad being defective it makes you wonder

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I was waiting for this app since it was demoed, but now that I have it, it was a real disappointment.
It lacks a lot of functionality, and it's very slow, even on the new iPad. :mad:

Good thing it was on sale, but unless it doesn't improve, it will end up at $ 0.99 or even free.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Nope. Steve never blocked the use of a stylus in any of the iOS devices. Hell they were selling Pogos and such in the stores for a while. Probably dropped them because they were getting 5 finger discounted too much.

Folks just like to scream that Apple is anti stylus because of Steve's early comments which were about requiring a stylus. And they say that until Apple puts in support for use with a stylus that has a tip the size of a pen and 1000 levels of pressure sensitivity like it's a freaking Cintiq (and costs $2 to buy of course) then it doesn't 'support' a real stylus.

Meanwhile you have folks like Jim Lee from DC comics doing rather dang good drawings on the iPad as it was when it came out 2 years ago and still doing them. Often with his fingers. If a pro artist isn't complaining about the iPad being defective it makes you wonder

I'm a pro and I absolutely NEED/WANT a true stylus for drawing and painting. If other artist's don't mind learning a new skill set then that's great for them. However, I don't have the time or need to dedicate myself to learning an entirely new set of skills. I'd rather spend that time making money.

The technology for implementing a precise stylus is available, it's not like the entire paradigm has to be created from scratch. All Apple has to do is implement a precision mode in iOS that 3rd party developers can access for their apps. It's rather simple actually.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I'm a pro and I absolutely NEED/WANT a true stylus for drawing and painting. If other artist's don't mind learning a new skill set then that's great for them. However, I don't have the time or need to dedicate myself to learning an entirely new set of skills. I'd rather spend that time making money.

The technology for implementing a precise stylus is available, it's not like the entire paradigm has to be created from scratch. All Apple has to do is implement a precision mode in iOS that 3rd party developers can access for their apps. It's rather simple actually.

It is simple that Apple would have to buy Wacom first in order to implement pressure sensitivity on iPad because Wacom holds the patent.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I would have got this instead of SketchBook Pro if it were out when I got my iPad (March). Now I am probably gonna get suckered into buying 'Ink' because it is on sale. Oh, those Autodesk guys are good. :p Though, I should have probably did more research before I purchased 'Pro'. Probably some other product out there that would have been more suitable for what I wanted. Oh well.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
It is simple that Apple would have to buy Wacom first in order to implement pressure sensitivity on iPad because Wacom holds the patent.

Sure, pressure sensitivity would be nice but at this stage I'd be happy with a precise stylus.

I don't understand all of the push back on the idea of a precision based stylus. It's not like the artists asking for it expect the entire operating system to be re engineered based upon a stylus. All we want is an app paired with a precision stylus that would give us the opportunity to utilize our iPads as digital canvases and sketchbooks.

And before you or anyone else says it I'll go ahead and respond, no, I don't want to finger paint.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What these developers are missing out on is they need to make their software read and write to other formats. I MUST have support for Adobe Illustrator complete with layers, etc. If they can't do it, the software is just a pretty notepad.

No they don't NEED to do anything. You want them too, not same. Just like you think it is just a pretty notepad. If you think that, don't use it.

Hell go make your even better app that does have what you must have etc.

rebelmac

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
I would have got this instead of SketchBook Pro if it were out when I got my iPad (March). Now I am probably gonna get suckered into buying 'Ink' because it is on sale. Oh, those Autodesk guys are good. :p Though, I should have probably did more research before I purchased 'Pro'. Probably some other product out there that would have been more suitable for what I wanted. Oh well.

What requirements do you have? There are definitely better apps than Ink. I'm confident Ink will get better and be useful someday ;)

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
What requirements do you have? There are definitely better apps than Ink. I'm confident Ink will get better and be useful someday ;)

I guess I just wanted traditional painting (brush strokes). Sketchbook Pro has many drawing tools. I'll probably check out Ink.

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
The brushes are interesting...kind of trippy how your brush strokes deform after you draw a line.

Just like Sketchbook Pro, however, it's really slow and laggy on my 'new iPad'. I get the feeling this problem will be magically solved with the release of the New New iPad and its faster processor :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.