Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Widgets (SBSettings or NCSettings) are my #1 reason for wanting a JB. I don't bother with many of the other tweaks / themes etc. any more.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I'm sure this gets asked every time there's a new jailbreak story, but what are some of the current benefits to jailbreaking?

The only one I think I'd be interested in is the quick-reply SMS feature that allows you to reply to a text without leaving an app. It'd be great if Apple implemented that, because I don't think I'm gonna bother jail breaking just for that.

But what else is there?

Adding Chinese-English Chinese-Japanese dictionaries to iBooks!

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I haven't Jailbroken my iPhone since the 3G, maybe 3Gs.

What are the reasons to jailbreak now? You get the apps for free, you can tether 3G to your laptop/iPad right? Anything else new that's happened in the last couple years?

Back then I seem to remember it being an issue. Glitchy, and always worried about the new software updates. Then again those software updates always seemed to bring out new "features" in some sense.

Appreciate any update on the whole jailbreak experience.

AirPrint to any wireless printer, FaceTime over 3G, tethering to take advantage of unlimited data, notification center widgets, using volume controls to control music, and most importantly, hiding Newsstand

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
It's funny how people think everyone wants a jailbreak just for pirating apps!! There are so many things you can do with a jailbroken phone that apple won't let you do WITH YOUR OWN PHONE!!!!

1. Sbsettings on notification center.
2. 3G unrestricted(FaceTime over 3G or 4G, no app download limit)
3. Zephyr (easier to multitask and exit apps without the need to constantly click the home button!
4. Emulators (Nes,Snes,N64,PSX and now with the A5 chip should be able to run PSX with no problem....well hopefully)
5. Tethering. Unlimited no charge tethering!! (no more paying more money to greedy carriers)

Those are the reasons I jailbreak!!
Thank you have a nice day!!

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
Downloaded 1st thing this morning, missed you JB... working marvelous!

Good job,thx... will be donating

emon878

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
This jailbreak will not work if you updated to 5.1.1 OTA (wireless through the device) you must restore to 5.1.1 via iTunes first.

slowpoke748y

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
broken maps?

is anyone else having issues with maps not being able to connect to the internet? i've updated and jailbroke both my 4s and ipad 2 and now neither maps work? :eek:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
All of you download Zephyr in Cydia and you will never go back to stock iOS.

No need to ever again use the home button!

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Is anyone else having trouble downloading SBSettings from Cydia? When I try, it says that it cannot locate the package.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
This jailbreak will not work if you updated to 5.1.1 OTA (wireless through the device) you must restore to 5.1.1 via iTunes first.

that explains why mine doesn't complete successfully then.
it didn't mention that on the site with the download link though.....

mine goes thru the process and after reboot, sits and then says device recovered if you want to try jailbreaking again disconnect and reconnect.

Jasontech

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
If I JB my AT&T LTE ipad 3 will I have the ability to Tether other devices to it so I can use the LTE speed off it?

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I'm sure this gets asked every time there's a new jailbreak story, but what are some of the current benefits to jailbreaking?

The only one I think I'd be interested in is the quick-reply SMS feature that allows you to reply to a text without leaving an app. It'd be great if Apple implemented that, because I don't think I'm gonna bother jail breaking just for that.

But what else is there?

The only thing i jailbreak for are free tethering and last.fm live scrobbling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.