Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I bought the new iPad and the viewing angle was pretty bad, even a slight movement and part of my screen would turn green. I am not complaining about the warm colors, that don't bother e as much as the awful tint I get when tilting my iPad for less than an inch.

I got a replacement and guess what? Now I have a puple tint. I have two other iPads and none of them suffer from that.

Is there any new iPad free of that issue?

Last edited:

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Mine does not do that. May want to examine in the store if you exchange this one.

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
What color does the iPad screen normaly gets when viewed from extreme angles?

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I have a horrible bleeding and a purple haze.. and the store is resisting to replace =[

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,068
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 237

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Mine does that ... I don't think they will replace it though. I had mine replaced for a dead pixels, but those can be clearly seen. This is only seen at an extreme angle. To be honest, if you look at it on a regular screen from that angle the whites seem whiter, and I'd prefer if that is how the screen looked regularly. I am not a fan of the warm tint.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
What color does the iPad screen normaly gets when viewed from extreme angles?

How often will you be holding you iPad at extreme angles? Most of us hold them flat in front of our face. Just curious what crazy way you'll be using this at these angles all the time, is there special apps or videos you need to hold the ipad at this angle with a completely black screen??/ just asking...

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
How often will you be holding you iPad at extreme angles? Most of us hold them flat in front of our face. Just curious what crazy way you'll be using this at these angles all the time, is there special apps or videos you need to hold the ipad at this angle with a completely black screen??/ just asking...

I think every iPad has this though... when viewed at THIS angle... Cause I tested it once at the Apple store. Again, this is only at an extreme angle. I think it is even present in my iPhone 4S.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have a horrible bleeding and a purple haze.. and the store is resisting to replace =[

My iPad does that too, when in a dark room and showing a totally black screen with 100% brightness. But it's perfectly fine under normal lighting, doing regular things like surfing the web, reading books, watching videos, etc. So if you are asking if all iPads look purple in a dark room at extreme angles, my guess is that they do. The question is, does the screen look okay under normal usage conditions?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

So you like to use your iPad in that angle?

Don't know about other people but I like to view my iPad as if I'm reading a Book; two hands equidistant from my eyes maybe about 12-15" and under normal lighting conditions. But that's just me.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA

That's not very bad at all. The light bleed is minimal. Also, the purple is only visible at max brightness, in the dark, and at extreme angles. Seriously, only worry about it if it hinders your NORMAL usage under NORMAL conditions!!

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
Are people OCD/picky or is this really a big problem/mistake on Apples part? I fix broken front glass on 15-20 iPad 2's and 3's a day and I never notice any sort of issue with the LCD's.

I can understand wanting to get your moneys worth, so do not get me wrong. But I personally feel that a slight tint or this and that with an LCD couldn't cause such discomfort.

Help me understand.

MacAuditor

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
I bought the new iPad and the viewing angle was pretty bad, even a slight movement and part of my screen would turn green. I am not complaining about the warm colors, that don't bother e as much as the awful tint I get when tilting my iPad for less than an inch.

I got a replacement and guess what? Now I have a puple tint. I have two other iPads and none of them suffer from that.

I said this like 1000 times before. It's dumb sticking with LCD technology for so long. The plasma technology is light years ahead of LCD. The difference is so huge, like by good 200 years? Let's put it this way. If these idiots (whoever runs the tablet business) plan to stick with LCD for 400 years, then the plasma technology would be ahead by over 400 years. That's substantial.

The current new iPad (iPad 3) technology is worse than the early 1900's CRT tech.
612px-Television_set_from_the_early_1950s.jpg

That old CRT TV will have better viewing angle than the iPad 3. That thing is over 60 years old, and STILL has better viewing angles.

iPad 3 is as ancient has late 1800's tech. This is pathetic. I told you and told you and told you and told you to drop LCD altogether. I bet you $10,000 that iPad 5 will use LCD tech. I guarantee it.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Are people OCD/picky or is this really a big problem/mistake on Apples part? I fix broken front glass on 15-20 iPad 2's and 3's a day and I never notice any sort of issue with the LCD's.

I can understand wanting to get your moneys worth, so do not get me wrong. But I personally feel that a slight tint or this and that with an LCD couldn't cause such discomfort.

Help me understand.

People crank the backlight in the dark and expect a perfect display. It's not going to happen. I get some bleeding when i do that, but under normal brightness settings in the dark, it looks perfect.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

So I guess your sweet spot is in a dark room, screen brightness a 100% and at an insanely imparacticle angle?

Also, I'm calling TROLL.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Exactly. My iPad 3 is perfect.

MacAuditor

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
So I guess your sweet spot is in a dark room, screen brightness a 100% and at an insanely imparacticle angle?
How is looking at a screen with less than an inch tilted considered impractical? MacAuditor doesn't understand this.

Also, I'm calling TROLL.
The OP's post has valid statements and was by no means trolling. Just because you read something you don't like is okay to call someone troll. I think you are trolling for calling someone a troll when he wasn't trolling, troll....

:eek:

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I got a little freak because my iPad and IPad 2 don't do that... The real thing that is bothering me is that when reading in a dark room with the baclight light at its dimmest and the iPad slightly tilted (like 6 degrees), the farther part of the screen gets darker, a little tinted on... iPad on a white page is hardly white. But ok, I thank you guys for opening my eyes for reality. I thought when people says "mine is perfect" would mean a screen as good or better than an iPad 2.

Last edited:

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
new iPad on the left, iPad 2 on the right.. also iPad 2 with almost no bleeding

Notice that the dimmest the backlight, the yellowish (and purple) the screen.. Is that a good screen?

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 178

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
How is looking at a screen with less than an inch tilted considered impractical? MacAuditor doesn't understand this.

Have you seen the pic the OP posted with the purple hue? You can't tell me he's only tilted the screen 2"?

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
@OP

The yellow tint eventually fades away. Be patient and give it some time. If you want to speed up the curing process, before you go to sleep...

1) Load up a plain white image in the Photo App

2) Plug in to charge

3) Brightness 100%

4) Auto Brightness Off

5) Auto Lock set to Never

6) Wrap in a bath towel and lay flat over night

You should see slight improvement the next day.

Repeat until you reach your desired result.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
new iPad on the left, iPad 2 on the right.. also iPad 2 with almost no bleeding

Notice that the dimmest the backlight, the yellowish (and purple) the screen.. Is that a good screen?

Looks like your new iPad has yellow tint, which might get more whiter in about a week or so. It's never going to be as white as the iPad 2, because the new iPad just has a more warmer tint.

Also, the new iPad gets a lot dimmer than the iPad 2 at its lowest brightness setting. I think that is a good change, because I always found the iPad 2 too bright in a dark room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.