Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Hi, I know the common sense at this point is to stick with what you have until the next iPhone is released later this year, but I'm wondering if you guys think it makes any sense to move from a 4 to a 4s at this point. I'm not talking about renewing a contract. From what I see on Craigslist I could sell my 32gb 4 for roughly the same price a 16gb 4s would cost me, so id be losing very little or money. I like the 4 and am sure it would tie me over til later this year, but the techie in me wants the latest/greatest, and since there's a good chance I won't be getting the new one right away anyway, I was thinking I might sacrifice my storage (mainly for music) in order to get the snappier 4s. Any suggestions or thoughts?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do you feel you will make use of Siri?
The camera is the significant upgrade, do you use the camera a lot?

For many people, that isn't enough to upgrade
Yes, the speed is somewhat faster, but is it worth the trouble (and loss of storage)

At this point, I wouldn't bother if I was you

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Do you feel you will make use of Siri?
The camera is the significant upgrade, do you use the camera a lot?

For many people, that isn't enough to upgrade
Yes, the speed is somewhat faster, but is it worth the trouble (and loss of storage)

At this point, I wouldn't bother if I was you

Well Siri isn't really crucial to me. Kind of thing where if I had it I would use it, but definitely don't need it.

Main reasons for wanting to bump up to the 4s: better camera (as you pointed out). But the big selling point for me is the speed increase, both faster data (hspa+) and faster performance with the A5 dual core. The 4 works well, but it still hangs up/sticks every now and then, and I think I would appreciate the extra processor speed (not a hardcore gamer, more in terms of day to day usage). Of course losing half my storage is the bump in the road. Would have to drastically cut my on-phone music, but since I don't listen to all that music every day, I'm thinking it may be worth the hassle of having to manually manage my music when I want to switch it up in order to get the faster phone. As it is now with my 32gb, I tend to go in cycles of listening to the same few albums for a week of so and by and large don't access my full library on a regular basis. I do use GarageBand though, so I could see the listed storage being an issue there.

Also-I am on Straight Talk service, and unless I sign up with a new contract with one of the big guys, I doubt I will be getting the new iphone roght away, as I doubt I will immediately buy it at full retail when it comes out.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Well Siri isn't really crucial to me. Kind of thing where if I had it I would use it, but definitely don't need it.

Main reasons for wanting to bump up to the 4s: better camera (as you pointed out). But the big selling point for me is the speed increase, both faster data (hspa+) and faster performance with the A5 dual core. The 4 works well, but it still hangs up/sticks every now and then, and I think I would appreciate the extra processor speed (not a hardcore gamer, more in terms of day to day usage). Of course losing half my storage is the bump in the road. Would have to drastically cut my on-phone music, but since I don't listen to all that music every day, I'm thinking it may be worth the hassle of having to manually manage my music when I want to switch it up in order to get the faster phone. As it is now with my 32gb, I tend to go in cycles of listening to the same few albums for a week of so and by and large don't access my full library on a regular basis. I do use GarageBand though, so I could see the listed storage being an issue there.

Also-I am on Straight Talk service, and unless I sign up with a new contract with one of the big guys, I doubt I will be getting the new iphone roght away, as I doubt I will immediately buy it at full retail when it comes out.

Keep in Mind:
- 16GB iPhone 4S - You only get 13.4/13.6GB as usable space
- each picture takes up 3-5MB
- Video recording....12GB/hour so u can do your math to break it down....3GB/15min.....600MB/5mins.....200MB/min

I went with a 16GB 4S then ended up bumping up to a 64GB....now I am using ~22GB on my 64GB 4S with ~2GB in Music, ~17GB in Apps, ~400MB in Video(only made one), ~2.5GB in pictures....I honestly wished apple had dropped the 16GB for the 4S.

~ = around/approx

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I am concerned with the limitations of only 16gb, but otherwise yes - it is an upgrade of the device itself.

I would essentially be losing more than half my usable storage, from 28/29 gigs to 13 gigs, which is a big loss. I'll most likely keep my 4, I just want a little snappier performance...but I'm not about to spend any significant money getting a 32/64gb 4s with the new one coming out in 4/5 months...guess I'll likely stick with the 4 for now, thanks for the feedback.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Keep in Mind:
- 16GB iPhone 4S - You only get 13.4/13.6GB as usable space
- each picture takes up 3-5MB
- Video recording....12GB/hour so u can do your math to break it down....3GB/15min.....600MB/5mins.....200MB/min

I went with a 16GB 4S then ended up bumping up to a 64GB....now I am using ~22GB on my 64GB 4S with ~2GB in Music, ~17GB in Apps, ~400MB in Video(only made one), ~2.5GB in pictures....I honestly wished apple had dropped the 16GB for the 4S.

~ = around/approx

You know, I am finding a few good deals on a 64gb 4s for between 500/600 bucks. I should be able to sell my mint 32gb 4 for around $350, which means I could get a 64gb 4s for a net cost of ~$200. What do you guys think of that option? For ~$200 I'd be doubling my storage AND getting the other upgrades the 4s provides. Again keep in mind I am not planning to go out and spend $700/800 right away on the iPhone 5, so whatever I wind up using (4 or 4s) I will most likely stick with for a while.

Haha I know this is one of those threads where I am asking permission/validation to do something, and ultimately it's just up to me, but I'm just bouncing some ideas around.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You know, I am finding a few good deals on a 64gb 4s for between 500/600 bucks. I should be able to sell my mint 32gb 4 for around $350, which means I could get a 64gb 4s for a net cost of ~$200. What do you guys think of that option? For ~$200 I'd be doubling my storage AND getting the other upgrades the 4s provides. Again keep in mind I am not planning to go out and spend $700/800 right away on the iPhone 5, so whatever I wind up using (4 or 4s) I will most likely stick with for a while.

Haha I know this is one of those threads where I am asking permission/validation to do something, and ultimately it's just up to me, but I'm just bouncing some ideas around.

It depends on what you can justify. Is $200 to upgrade the phone a lot of money for you? Regardless of what everyone else thinks only you can decide if it's worth the cash. The 64GB storage is great... if you need it. I am coming to realize I wish I had gone with a 64GB instead of the 16 I went with. Next go around I am going for more storage.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

if you can ask AT&T to unlock your iPhone 4 32GB....it should be able to get you around $450....here in Toronto factory unlocked iPhone 4 32GB easily sells for $450....they sell locked iPhone 4S here for around $570-$600.....so you can get a pretty nice upgrade if the prices are like that on your end....thats how I went...

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
if you can ask AT&T to unlock your iPhone 4 32GB....it should be able to get you around $450....here in Toronto factory unlocked iPhone 4 32GB easily sells for $450....they sell locked iPhone 4S here for around $570-$600.....so you can get a pretty nice upgrade if the prices are like that on your end....thats how I went...

Thanks for the tip. Will AT&T unlock your iPhone even if you are not their customer? Because I use straight talk (prepaid monthly service).

And considering the normal upgrade price of a 64gb 4s through one of the big providers is $400, the $200 difference I'd be paying sounds pretty good...just can't make up my mind if I need/want the benefits of the 4s that badly right now...I read someone else post that the insides of the 4 are actually closer to the 3GS than the 4s, which makes the 4s sound like even more of an upgrade. Plus the 4s will be more future proof for updates, not to mention I don't think I will EVER have storage issues with 64gb...hmmm, I've got some mulling over to do...

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for the tip. Will AT&T unlock your iPhone even if you are not their customer? Because I use straight talk (prepaid monthly service).

And considering the normal upgrade price of a 64gb 4s through one of the big providers is $400, the $200 difference I'd be paying sounds pretty good...just can't make up my mind if I need/want the benefits of the 4s that badly right now...I read someone else post that the insides of the 4 are actually closer to the 3GS than the 4s, which makes the 4s sound like even more of an upgrade. Plus the 4s will be more future proof for updates, not to mention I don't think I will EVER have storage issues with 64gb...hmmm, I've got some mulling over to do...

they should as long as it is not on a contract/ETF has been paid for already. Even if you don't have a account....as far as i read around this forum some people have had it successfully done. if not u can always go activate a AT&T prepaid account for the cheapest option...as long as your a customer for 30days+ you will be able to and thats a small price to pay....i think minimum top up is $15....should be fine.

imeth

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Get the 4s. Had my 4s replaced not too long ago went back to my 4 temporary.. My god it was depressing times.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
they should as long as it is not on a contract/ETF has been paid for already. Even if you don't have a account....as far as i read around this forum some people have had it successfully done. if not u can always go activate a AT&T prepaid account for the cheapest option...as long as your a customer for 30days+ you will be able to and thats a small price to pay....i think minimum top up is $15....should be fine.

Wow good to know, because I actually already got a 3 month prepaid sim from them a couples months ago before switching to straight talk for permanent service, so hopefully they'll do it for me. If I can bump up my asking price to $400/450, then the 4s would cost me that much less. This is getting more tempting!

----------

Get the 4s. Had my 4s replaced not too long ago went back to my 4 temporary.. My god it was depressing times.

Thanks for the input, I've read similar comments from others as well, that once you use a 4s the 4 feels slow.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah I am concerned with the limitations of only 16gb, but otherwise yes - it is an upgrade of the device itself.

I would essentially be losing more than half my usable storage, from 28/29 gigs to 13 gigs, which is a big loss. I'll most likely keep my 4, I just want a little snappier performance...but I'm not about to spend any significant money getting a 32/64gb 4s with the new one coming out in 4/5 months...guess I'll likely stick with the 4 for now, thanks for the feedback.

I had the same oppertunity: I currently own an iPhone 4 32 GB en was offered a free 16 GB iPhone 4S.

I played with it and I refused. Apps are becoming bigger (nowadays a lot of apps save data for the older iPhones, the retina iPhones, the older iPads and the retina iPad). So that will be an issue.

Photos? Bigger than on the iPhone 4 because it's 8 megapixel
Video recording? Bigger than on the iPhone 4 because of the higher quality.

I made the decision not to stay with the 4S simply because of these issues. I would go from 32 GB to 16 GB, while at the same time video and photos will take up more space on a 4S.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I had the same oppertunity: I currently own an iPhone 4 32 GB en was offered a free 16 GB iPhone 4S.

I played with it and I refused. Apps are becoming bigger (nowadays a lot of apps save data for the older iPhones, the retina iPhones, the older iPads and the retina iPad). So that will be an issue.

Photos? Bigger than on the iPhone 4 because it's 8 megapixel
Video recording? Bigger than on the iPhone 4 because of the higher quality.

I made the decision not to stay with the 4S simply because of these issues. I would go from 32 GB to 16 GB, while at the same time video and photos will take up more space on a 4S.

Definitely makes a lot of sense. I think I could do it, it would just require having to manage the storage on a near-daily basis.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I have a 16gb iphone 4 and have no issues with video or photos taking up space. I bought the app Web Albums and use Google Picasa storage. I upload photos to storage and can download or share them if i like from any device. I paid 3 bucks for the app and 5 bucks a year for an addition 20 gigs of storage on Google. Win win

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I have a 16gb iphone 4 and have no issues with video or photos taking up space. I bought the app Web Albums and use Google Picasa storage. I upload photos to storage and can download or share them if i like from any device. I paid 3 bucks for the app and 5 bucks a year for an addition 20 gigs of storage on Google. Win win

Thanks, yeah cloud storage definitely makes storage management easier. I think I'd be okay, would just have to either move all pics/video to cloud storage or my iMac like once/week.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I do it on the fly if i have a lot of photos (wedding, birthdays etc). I upload them as original size and they are up there. I love having it as its a great way to back them up. I also have a 50gb box account (free from HP) thT i use for various other files. Technically you also wouldnt need music as there is iTunes match and spotify, but depends on your data package and if you have wifi (to not eat data )

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I do it on the fly if i have a lot of photos (wedding, birthdays etc). I upload them as original size and they are up there. I love having it as its a great way to back them up. I also have a 50gb box account (free from HP) thT i use for various other files. Technically you also wouldnt need music as there is iTunes match and spotify, but depends on your data package and if you have wifi (to not eat data )

More good tips, thanks. I would need to keep at least some music on the phone though, because most of the time I actually listen to music, I don't have service, either in my gym or on the subway (NYC).

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
More good tips, thanks. I would need to keep at least some music on the phone though, because most of the time I actually listen to music, I don't have service, either in my gym or on the subway (NYC).
If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade. You'd lose over 50% of your space. And at the same time everything is becoming bigger (apps are becoming bigger, the photos will be bigger (8 megapixel) and video will take up more space (about 2,25 as much space)).

You are already saying you can't move everything to the cloud.

If you are upgrading to an iPhone 4S, at least get a 32 GB model. Else, just wait.

And thanks to all the recent leaks about an "iPhone 5", I do believe that there is a small possibility that they are going to announce an new iPhone during the WWDC 2012 in just two weeks.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade. You'd lose over 50% of your space. And at the same time everything is becoming bigger (apps are becoming bigger, the photos will be bigger (8 megapixel) and video will take up more space (about 2,25 as much space)).

You are already saying you can't move everything to the cloud.

If you are upgrading to an iPhone 4S, at least get a 32 GB model. Else, just wait.

And thanks to all the recent leaks about an "iPhone 5", I do believe that there is a small possibility that they are going to announce an new iPhone during the WWDC 2012 in just two weeks.

Yeah I've already kind of come to the conclusion that I will only jump up to the 4s if I find a good deal on a 32/64gb model. While I think I could make the 16gb work, I don't think I want the extra headache of having to constantly monitor my storage. But at the same time, I kind of do want to get the 4s, because I take a lot of pics/video and think I'd really appreciate the better camera, not to mention the other speed bumps and Siri. I have a DSLR, but obviously don't always carry it around with me, and I'd like for my cell pics (which IS always with me) to be as good as possible since that's mostly what I shoot with.

And very exciting re: the possibility of the new iphone!! Even though, my current funds are limited. I could see myself spending a hundred bucks or so to upgrade to a 4s, but not dropping the $500 it would take for me to get an entry level iphone 5 (both factoring in the money I would get by selling my current ip4).

The more I think about it, the more I think I will wind up getting a 4s. I think the 4s is a bigger processor/speed bump over the 4 than I had been giving it credit for.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I keep finding good deals on 32gb models in the right price range (5-600), but they're all white!! argh! Really want a black one haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.