Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lumpysolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2012
I've had this problem for possibly 4 months now and it is super annoying! It all started in the middle of Febuary. I started up my mac and up came the flashing folder. So I unplugged my mac and everything worked fine. Maybe a month later the real issue began. I started up the mac and the same thing happened. I unplugged my imac then plugged it back in and started it up. Same thing. I waited maybe 15 minutes and tried again. Then 30 minutes. Eventually it worked. Almost every time I start up my imac it gives me the folder/question mark, and I sigh to myself, because I know I have to wait like 30 minutes for it to work again. I called apple and they said it was something to do with a corrupt file, but there are none. I even had someone come over and check. This problem is really frusturating!

Here is my info:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): -cut-
Hardware UUID: -cut-

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: -cut-
User Name: -cut-
Time since boot: 10 minutes

It's a 10.5.8 Leopard too.

I really want help!

I also do not have the installation disk, so don't suggest anything about that.

Also my mac sometimes freezes when it wakes from sleep or screensaver. That's when i get pissed cause I know I have to wait 30 minutes again and I LOSE ALL MY FRICKEN WORK!!! GAAHH!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

lumpysolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2012
I have read all that support stuff and nothing worked. Also i can't order one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't wish to reveal anymore information than needed
Well, if you have a legitimate (non-pirated) copy of Mac OS X on your computer, you have every right to request replacement discs from Apple. If that's the reason, you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard for only $29 to get legit, and to resolve your problems.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
I lost my 10.5 leopard disk, had to install a new hard drive in my g4 powerbook aluminum, took it in to the apple store near me and they installed leopard for me in the store at no charge, actually not once but again the next day since there was a power failure the same night they installed it when i was doing updates and corrupted the disk. maybe take it into the apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.