Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EQ7G3307-M.jpg
Image from AllThingsD
Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher spent time interviewing Apple CEO Tim Cook tonight on a range of topics. The interview took place at the All Things D conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. We have a full transcript of the interview available.

When asked about what Cook has changed at Apple, he discusses that he plans on doubling down on secrecy on products.
We're going to double down on secrecy on products. I'm serious.
Cook, however, does goes on to say that he is going to be the most transparent company on other topics such as social change and supplier responsibility.

Apple's secrecy surrounding its product line is legendary. Apple cofounder Steve Jobs even identified secrecy as one of the specific tenets at Apple that has been responsible for its success. Apple's ability to keep products secret has been hampered in recent years by Apple's reliance on Foxconn and other 3rd party manufacturers. Just earlier today, part leaks seem to have revealed the look of the next generation iPhone.

Article Link: Tim Cook at D10: "We're going to double down on secrecy on products."

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Good luck with secrecy in this day and age! And as much as secrecy plays a role, hype and speculation also raise Apple's cache....

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
We're going to double down on secrecy right after we let go of a few fake pics of the New iPhone to get all you blogs to stop talking about the Galaxy S3.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Double down on secrecy? Since they haven't been secret since the iPhone 4S leaked case in January 2011, I'd say...that means they might get back a prototypical SIM tray.

afin

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I feel that secrecy adds to the appeal. It's all in the chase...

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Just take a look at RIM - they are legendary in product secrecy as well. So good in fact, no one expects them to come out with anything new. And they have succeeded in launching nothing!

All I know is that the leaked iPhone design is real and yes, I will buy 2.

:D

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Tim Cook said:
We have one phone with one screen size and one resolution. It's pretty simple if you're developing for this platform.

This was a very interesting quote to me in light of the recent rumors about a new iPhone screen aspect ratio. It would seem to refute that rumor.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The rumour level can remain constant if they release twice as many products :)

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Just take a look at RIM - they are legendary in product secrecy as well. So good in fact, no one expects them to come out with anything new. And they have succeeded in launching nothing!

in that case, couldn't you argue that they launched exactly what they leaked? :D

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Tim Cook said:

This was a very interesting quote to me in light of the recent rumors about a new iPhone screen aspect ratio. It would seem to refute that rumor.

Not to defend any rumors, but he's referring to current products. Throughout the questioning he's been quick to dodge any un-released product speculation.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
KFC launched the Double Down last year, at least here in NZ. It didn't last long - it just wasn't good for people. I think the same would be true if this comes to pass - and to think we were hoping things might swing the other way. Even if they could just be less secretive about whether the Mac platform was a viable option for professionals now, they would make a lot of people happy ... in a nice ironic way.

----------

The rumour level can remain constant if they release twice as many products :)

Doesn't seem like that would be too hard right now.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
So did he just confirm that todays iPhone leaks were in fact real? If so, when's the preorder? :D

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Sounds to me like a challenge... 9to5 Mac, Digi Times, and all the other popular (albeit mostly inaccurate) rumor sites that seem to leak product pictures have just been put on notice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.