Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
7 mm taller than the current iPhone...that's less than a third of an inch. Keeping nearly the same size as the 4/4S with a bigger screen would be ideal. I'm glad to see less bezel on the top and bottom.

Still strange how much is coming out so early, assuming Fall release. We don't even know what iOS6 is all about yet!

...maybe apple will say "screw developers, iOS6 ships without public beta" (doubt it).

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
What happened to Ima double down...DOUBLE DOWNNNNN YO!?

Looks like someone is going to extreme lengths with this hoax. At least case makers aren't buying into it this time. ;)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Dang, we basically have a great idea how the phone looks now. I'm surprised so much has leaked if the phone plans to come out in Octoberish...makes us wonder if its coming sooner.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
First off, I have to say I'm one of the 3.5" protagonists, and I would have bet a paycheck a month ago that it wouldn't change. Evidence lately however, definitely seems to be pointing in the direction of the larger screen. Ho hum, I guess I'll have to get used to a bigger phone. :(

Second, its probably just the drawing but it really seems to show a minimized border around the sides of the screen. Not sure it could be called an edge to edge, but it looks much closer.

Third, I don't think I would call this design a huge change (which is great since I love my 4S!) but I'm surprised we aren't hearing the whining yet. "Where is the tapered design?" lol

Finally, and I know I'll get panned for this, but I love my glass phones! They feel so seductive! If/when I break my phone, I'll just replace the glass. You can get it done all over the place, no biggie. (But it didn't happen to my 4, and it hasn't got my 4S yet!) That being said, the picture of the two tone back is horrible. It reminds me of my original iPhone. Awesome at the time, but I've moved on. I really hope they do something about that.

Of course, this could all be controlled leaks that have no valid information at all! We'll see this fall.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Does seem a little odd doesn't it?

Maybe all these pictures being leaked are fake? (hope not)
It is rather odd that all of these leaks in quick succession are dovetailing so cleanly.

In previous years, there have been a wide range of leaks, only a few of which ended up being relevant to the actual shipping product. Many of the others were just prototype parts (or fakes).

The inherent nature of product rumors is for most of the rumors to be false, probably between 95-98% for Apple rumors.

In any case, there would have to be schematics for prototype parts. Apple tests dozens of prototype designs for each product cycle and each one would require a full set of schematics even if the component provider would only be making a hundred or so actual parts from that design. Heck, this schematic could easily be for a rejected prototype of a 4" iPhone 4S.

It is likely that Apple has in their labs a number of iPhone prototypes in all manner of screen types and sizes. Only one design will go to manufacturing and get put in a pretty box with Apple's logo. The rest of them will get studied for a while and most will be scrapped confidentially.

In any case, I am very suspicious. The real world is way too messy to have a succession of rumors that fit almost perfectly. It may very well be a leak directed by Apple to confuse the media and the competition.

Last edited:

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Awesome rumour but u aint fooling me

1. tim said double its effort and he is very serious
2. thought the camera is now on top and not beside
3. maybe these guys are just trying to make jokes on what Tim say :mad: not funny

4. Still asking where the hell is the other rumoured iphone5 of last year with silicon cases everywhere gone to;)

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Yeah, I'd say the details are falling into place.

Only question, really, remaining for me is June/July or September/October?

I always believed the fall, but with so much news slipping by, could it be earlier?

I hope its earlier. It truly does seem to soon for all these leaks if the release will be in the fall.

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
This will be part of WWDC

My prediction:

The iPhone 5, in some capacity, will be a part of WWDC. It has a 16:9 screen. App devs MUST be ready to accommodate this with live, released apps before the hardware is even on our shores. Apple is going to want many, many apps that can take advantage of this new aspect ratio at launch. They will want it to "just work" and not looked stretched/cropped/letterboxed, etc.

So, will the hardware be shown? Maybe not, but there will be discussions of making your apps "resolution independent" as part of iOS 6. The purported 7" iPad would possibly benefit from this as well.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited:

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Still don't really believe this.

Especially when Tim said: "We're going to double down on secrecy on products. I'm serious."

This article is about a controlled leak, not an uncontrolled leak.
Lost iPhones, uncontrolled leaked (maybe?).
Parts being released by unofficial channels? uncontrolled leak.
Yesterday's case? controlled leak.
this design? controlled leak.

It is pretty hard to know what is a controlled and uncontrolled leak from outside of Apple's walls. Apple is a company that will put new employees on fake projects for 6 months to see if they leak information.

The Apple cult is strong within the company. Many people that work for the company believe in the company and follow secrecy with all their will. Apple tries to make sure all their employees are faithful to them.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
1. tim said double its effort and he is very serious
2. thought the camera is now on top and not beside
3. maybe these guys are just trying to make jokes on what Tim say :mad: not funny

4. Still asking where the hell is the other rumoured iphone5 of last year with silicon cases everywhere gone to;)

Look again - it is on top. The other hole is a prox sensor.

Last edited:

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
First off, I have to say I'm one of the 3.5" protagonists, and I would have bet a paycheck a month ago that it wouldn't change. Evidence lately however, definitely seems to be pointing in the direction of the larger screen. Ho hum, I guess I'll have to get used to a bigger phone. :(

Second, its probably just the drawing but it really seems to show a minimized border around the sides of the screen. Not sure it could be called an edge to edge, but it looks much closer.

Third, I don't think I would call this design a huge change (which is great since I love my 4S!) but I'm surprised we aren't hearing the whining yet. "Where is the tapered design?" lol

Finally, and I know I'll get panned for this, but I love my glass phones! They feel so seductive! If/when I break my phone, I'll just replace the glass. You can get it done all over the place, no biggie. (But it didn't happen to my 4, and it hasn't got my 4S yet!) That being said, the picture of the two tone back is horrible. It reminds me of my original iPhone. Awesome at the time, but I've moved on. I really hope they do something about that.

Of course, this could all be controlled leaks that have no valid information at all! We'll see this fall.

1) I respect your opinion on having a 3.5" Screen phone. Every man for himself.

2) *A very detailed schematic. It's also consistent with the previous leaks uptill now.

3) Because we all have grown up now and doesn't live in fantasy world. The Design of iPhone 4/4S is pretty good except the glass which, according to rumors, is already replaced by Aluminium.

4) They feel good as long as they don't get shattered because once they do, the phone doesn't look really good to look at. I am all for Metal-Plastic Combination. But then, it's just my opinion.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Wonder what they will name it. 16:9 lends itself to the HD name, but HD is a defined term advertisers can only use for displays greater than 720p. I suppose they could get away with it if the iphone was "HD", not the display. There's also the pervasive "5" moniker. I think it will partly depend on what the SoC in there is too.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
It's a step in the right direction. I know I'm one of the few but I'd like a bit more screen real estate. I know I'm in the minority but I think the perfect screen size is somewhere in the 4.3 to 4.5 inch range. Any bigger is definitely too big. It would be nice if they continued to carry a 3.5 inch model and a 4.5 to appease everyone.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Yay I welcome this change :). I love the longer design, but I'm on the fence about the chromeish back.

I guess it's time to start adjusting my app mockups to allow for the potential change in aspect ratio.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Refresh?

I really hope this isn't real.

Since 2007 we've seen five iterations of the iPhone. That's a new iPhone every year. In those annual offerings, three redesigns. I don't just mean upgrades, but radical redesigns that somehow encapsulates the iconic look of iPhone, but still look completely different from the previous form. On average that's a new direction in aesthetics every 1.6 years.

A schematic of the sixth generation iPhone, and it's showing the same design since 2010 with a slightly larger screen? If that's the case, Mr. Ive is losing his touch.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
The design is fine but part of me wants that 3GS->iPhone 4 leap, and this don't feel like it.

me too and i hate the ida of a longer iphone the 4/4S design is already looong enough as is... I just got a 4S so i am in no rush for the 5 and will only get it next year when it is fully jalbroken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.