Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 30, 2012, 09:37 AM   #51
ganymedes13
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
they (Apple) are probably mixing things up, leaking now abandoned designs so confuse everyone
This would have to be the most incredibly detailed fake that ever came out of Apple.
ganymedes13 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:39 AM   #52
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
same width and only 7mm taller? not bad.
it is bad the damn 4/4s is too tall and narrow already

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menopause View Post
Wider and larger iPhone Tim, not taller
exactly..i think they will make it look slightly odd to differentiate it from all the other properly shaped phones out now..
Old May 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #53
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Figures ... Tim says "doubling down on secrecy" one day then the next, 'poof' iPhone 5 schematics appear on the net. Interesting if nothing else.
entatlrg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #54
JoeMcDirt
macrumors newbie

For a game developer as myself this really scares me. IPhone has made it easy for us to build for one screen and scale down but now to include a whole new aspect ratio along with most likely different res, doesn't sit well with me. That simple ease is the creating graphics and GUI layouts is why many developers avoid Android.
JoeMcDirt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:43 AM   #55
Foamsoup
macrumors newbie

How about this?:

Foamsoup is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #56
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamsoup View Post
How about this?:

ImageImage
Dude seriously, you couldn't have made those pictures any smaller? I down ranked you on that principle alone.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #57
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Only question, really, remaining for me is June/July or September/October?
frame for iPhone 4S leaked 9 months before launch.

iOS6 public release=fall=6th iPhone
MacFather is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #58
SeeHole
macrumors member

^^^ Close, but no cigar

Dock connector is too large...

Nice PS work :cough: But, as said they are a bit oversize lol

Last edited by SeeHole; May 30, 2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add pic...
SeeHole is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:50 AM   #59
Trhodezy
macrumors member

I believe Apple are leaking this on purpose to throw off the public & competition.
Trhodezy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:50 AM   #60
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRed View Post
I really hope this isn't real.

Since 2007 we've seen five iterations of the iPhone. That's a new iPhone every year. In those annual offerings, three redesigns. I don't just mean upgrades, but radical redesigns that somehow encapsulates the iconic look of iPhone, but still look completely different from the previous form. On average that's a new direction in aesthetics every 1.6 years.

A schematic of the sixth generation iPhone, and it's showing the same design since 2010 with a slightly larger screen? If that's the case, Mr. Ive is losing his touch.
apple can only be the greatest for soo long then they will falter its normal.. the 4S is what the 4 should have been in the first place.. so its like they had more time to make the 5 extra special... most people were not excited about the lack of a redesign on the 4S but its performance is great so we said okay but this time apple needs a new homerun..
Old May 30, 2012, 09:51 AM   #61
*Calypso*
macrumors regular

The 16:9 screen still feels weird. I don't see how a 4" screen which only grew in height would bring a significant improvement in user experience. Of course it is nice to have some extra space for web browsing, but even though most 4.x" Android phones are a bit too large for my taste, they make actual use of the screen size, while Apple seems to maintain the 4x5 (or now 5x5) icon design. With all GUI elements being the same size since the original iPhone there is a need to change screen width also, otherwise it still feels like a 3.5" screen with all these icons squeezed in.

To me it looks like Apple simply chose the cheapest way to hop over the 4" barrier that was set up by the media to distinguish those fancy large Android phones and the "feeling a bit outdated" iPhone. However, I doubt it is enough to reveal an iPhone that is 4" (or 3,999" as someone calculated) on paper, while it basically looks like an iPhone 4(S) with a weird form factor. Apple should do better than that.

In retrospective the combination of 3.5" and the "Retina" marketing was a bad idea, because it does not leave Apple with many options to choose a screen size that truly improves user experience, while avoiding fragmentation or a complete marketing disaster (with the meaning of "Retina" being completely arbitrary). They should have made a "cut" with the iPhone 4 and redesigned iOS back then to make it suitable for 4-4.5" screens instead of deluding customers with "Retina" on an outdated screen size (and actual GUI resolution). No matter what Apple does now, it either makes the new iPhone look forced and awkward or means more fragmentation to come.

Last edited by *Calypso*; May 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
*Calypso* is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #62
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeHole View Post
^^^ Close, but no cigar

Dock connector is too large...

Nice PS work though :cough: But, as said they are a bit oversize lol
i would like iphone5 to look like those epics.. but i hope ios6 does something new with the damn boring icon layout
Old May 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #63
Fazered
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
It is rather odd that all of these leaks in quick succession are dovetailing so cleanly.

In previous years, there have been a wide range of leaks, only a few of which ended up being relevant to the actual shipping product. Many of the others were just prototype parts (or fakes).

The inherent nature of product rumors is for most of the rumors to be false, probably between 95-98% for Apple rumors.

In any case, there would have to be schematics for prototype parts. Apple tests dozens of prototype designs for each product cycle and each one would require a full set of schematics even if the component provider would only be making a hundred or so actual parts from that design. Heck, this schematic could easily be for a rejected prototype of a 4" iPhone 4S.

It is likely that Apple has in their labs a number of iPhone prototypes in all manner of screen types and sizes. Only one design will go to manufacturing and get put in a pretty box with Apple's logo. The rest of them will get studied for a while and most will be scrapped confidentially.

In any case, I am very suspicious. The real world is way too messy to have a succession of rumors that fit almost perfectly. It may very well be a leak directed by Apple to confuse the media and the competition.
I logged in to say similar. Have we all forgotten the case schematic from last year? That resulted in hundreds of thousands of cases for a non existent phone going to landfill? Perhaps the body parts we saw yesterday are for a prototype which got leaked (potentially on purpose) and have been made by 3rd parties? The white/ivory part with the terrible iPhone logo might suggest so? Surely even on a prototype Apple would get that right?

My 2 cents of the screen size: I don't think it's a big an issue for developers as is being suggested if they just follow the same route they did with the iPad. The screen is just taller, effectively you've for the same 4/4S screen with an extra bar of screen. The apps run at their native resolution or they run stretched as chosen by the user. No need to re-release apps unless you want to use the extra real estate. It's a simple an elegant solution. It doesn't break apps but does offer extra opportunities. Just as the iPad did and give developers time to work on ways to make use of it. Unless of course Apple has plans for that space. Notification bar? Extra controls? Constant Siri button? There's plenty of options.
Fazered is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #64
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Was there ever any leak in Apple's history that shows the schematics of a non released product?

In the decade that I follow Apple/MR I never saw a leak like this.

I think it's more like a controlled leak now with all those stories coming in at a fast pace.
justperry is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #65
mp0890
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Yeah, I'd say the details are falling into place.

Only question, really, remaining for me is June/July or September/October?

I always believed the fall, but with so much news slipping by, could it be earlier?
What if it ships with iOS 5.5 and iOS 6 "Coming Soon"? Last year they unveiled an OS without a phone so now maybe it's a phone without an OS...
mp0890 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:56 AM   #66
drewisanapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamsoup View Post
How about this?:

ImageImage
Your concepts are, nice. However, you're missing features that already exist, like LED Flash on the back. Still, if the back was solid and the front was solid, it'd be great.
I see them still using an all glass display. Maybe a feature of the next iPhone is shatter proof glass(bullet proof glass like technique?).
drewisanapple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 AM   #67
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Calypso* View Post
The 16:9 screen still feels weird. I don't see how a 4" screen which only grew in height would bring a significant improvement in user experience. Of course it is nice to have some more space for web browsing, but even though most 4.x" Android phones are a bit too large for my taste, they make actual use of the screen size, while Apple seems to maintain the 4x5 (or now 5x5) icon design.

In retrospective the combination of 3.5" and the "Retina" marketing was a bad idea, because it does not leave Apple with many options to choose a screen size that truly improves user experience, while avoiding fragmentation or a complete marketing disaster (with the meaning of "Retina" being completely arbitrary). They should have made a "cut" with the iPhone 4 and redesigned iOS back then to make it suitable for 4-4.5" screens instead of deluding customers with "Retina" on an outdated screen size (and actual GUI resolution). No matter what Apple does now, it either makes the new iPhone look forced and awkward or means more fragmentation to come.
very true.. apple got lazy between the 4 and 4S.. but now they have to do something super big.. like LTE 12 mP camera super retina screen 400pixesl per inch.. audiophile DACs for sound .. thunderbolt drivers!!! 48 hour battery life
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 AM   #68
drewisanapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0890 View Post
What if it ships with iOS 5.5 and iOS 6 "Coming Soon"? Last year they unveiled an OS without a phone so now maybe it's a phone without an OS...
Doubtful, the release iOS first to ensure delevopment, and software fixes before general public gets it. That way it doesn't work extremely bad when launched.
drewisanapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 09:57 AM   #69
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRed View Post
I really hope this isn't real.

Since 2007 we've seen five iterations of the iPhone. That's a new iPhone every year. In those annual offerings, three redesigns. I don't just mean upgrades, but radical redesigns that somehow encapsulates the iconic look of iPhone, but still look completely different from the previous form. On average that's a new direction in aesthetics every 1.6 years.

A schematic of the sixth generation iPhone, and it's showing the same design since 2010 with a slightly larger screen? If that's the case, Mr. Ive is losing his touch.
You must have a short memory. People always criticize Jony every time a major product line is redesigned. People hated the iPhone 4. People hated the unibody MacBook Pros.

And now people love them. If anything, Jony knows what will look awesome in 6 months, not now. You could even argue that he's one of the most influential people in directing what's technologically fashionable.

Mr Ive hasn't lost a thing.
slrandall is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 10:00 AM   #70
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastercub View Post
Disappointing if true.... After 5 generations of iPhones I may not bother with this one
So you bothered with the minor cosmetic upgrade (some say downgrade) and addition of a 3G chip from the iPhone to iPhone 3G, then the minor spec bump of the 3GS, and the minor internal upgrade from the 4 to the 4S, but you're going to skip this one? Somehow I think you'll be first in line.
slicecom is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 10:01 AM   #71
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
You must have a short memory. People always criticize Jony every time a major product line is redesigned. People hated the iPhone 4. People hated the unibody MacBook Pros.

And now people love them. If anything, Jony knows what will look awesome in 6 months, not now. You could even argue that he's one of the most influential people in directing what's technologically fashionable.

Mr Ive hasn't lost a thing.
He lost when he failed to give he 4S a redesign over the 4.. what was he doing fro that whole year?
Old May 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #72
Fazered
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
He lost when he failed to give he 4S a redesign over the 4.. what was he doing fro that whole year?
Creating the fastest selling phone of all time? Creating the largest operating quarterly profits in history? Working across all of their product lines?

You're right. Probably just on holiday.
Fazered is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #73
Akarin
macrumors 6502

You'll notice that all these "real and legit" photos that are surfacing have huge watermarks through them with a website URL on them. That is an excellent way to advertise for a site, me thinks.

Let's try it.

Here is a legit photo of a piece of metal that is going to be used in the next iPhone. It was sent to us by a confidential source close to Apple:

On a more serious note, did anyone pick up what Tim Cook said yesterday at D10? "On iPhone, developers can design their app to target only one screen size".
Old May 30, 2012, 10:05 AM   #74
gri
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgnomo View Post
iPhone 5, iPhone HD, the new iPhone ... or what ???
iPhone L(arge / long)
Old May 30, 2012, 10:06 AM   #75
sicsicpuppy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse View Post
I'll swallow my iPhone 4 if that is made...
Strange diet .
sicsicpuppy is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion