Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Well they're at least half right. Apple TV runs iOS and iOS 6 will be released to developers at WWDC. Hopefully Apple TV becomes a full fledged member of the iOS family this time around.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Here's a clue...

I have been famous amongst my circle for my steadfast opinion that there is no way in hell that Apple would EVER build a TV. But the stars seem to be aligning and such a thing now seems possible. But as Tim said last night at D10, Apple will not do this with out some compelling value add over the TV we have today, So I'd like to share this link to a BOSE TV that they sell today and say if you start with something like what Bose is doing and add the Apple advantages (IOS, Siri, iTunes and the iTunes store, IPads and iPhones as remotes and others we do not yet know) this thing starts to seem real. so check out this link:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/televisions/videowave/index.jsp

The Apple advantage is simplicity -It Just Works!

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I presume this means the Apple TV will be able to control set-top boxes, surround sound systems, etc. connected to the Apple television if they have the api. I hope it also means an app ecosystem for the TV, so that developers can extend functionality.

IF the boxes are made to take those commands. That could be what this API is about.

That said, it could be for the set top box not a 'real' TV. Consider the market, consider the licensing they would have to do to put in TV tuners etc. Few folks would buy this TV if all it can do is the same stuff that the set top box can.

So they make a revised Cinema Display lineup that is their test bed for the Retina Display, has at least 2 size choices and includes HDMI etc for using with a blu-ray, the ATV box, computer, game consoles etc.

They create this API and perhaps others that allow you to use bluetooth or wifi based controllers in your apps so that you can make a game that uses a 'Nintendo' style joystick and button pad for those that want physical controls. Maybe even a Wii like steering wheel for your Real Racing HD.

And yes perhaps they allow developers to create games designed to go right on the Apple TV box. So you can buy Real Racing and rather than Airplay it is there on the box. Perhaps they might even bump the next box model up to 16 GB or even 32GB if the component costs are down enough to keep it at that $99 model (or maybe they keep that one as it and make an Apple TV plus that is the higher and can take the games for like $149).

Who knows maybe Tim Cook has convinced Nintendo to release their classic titles for iOS and he will invite the head guy up to introduce that release. If it is well created I'd go as high as $9.99 each for the original Super Mario trilogy. Especially if I had the option of using my iPhone, iPad or a 'real' controller. Hopefully they would be Game Center linked and sync scores and levels across the system. So then if I'm traveling and I use my iPad version to get 4 more stages ahead I can pick up there when i'm back home.

And so on.

Also more content deals need to be in the system. Get the back seasons on the store, get the prices knocked down $1 across the board for tv. Features on the movies. Extras working on the ATV and iPad. Credit when you buy a movie inside those Warner Bros apps, the last of the movies in iTunes in the Cloud. All shows on the store after first OTA and at 720p at least (1080p also preferred) and so on. Which really just needs the box, not a real TV.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I almost forgot the OS could take iOS gaming to the next level (for serious gamers)! I'm hoping there's something for gamers on this OS. I'm excited! Imagine developing games for this, the fun begins!! :D

Siri Controlled Games? not so fun...

I thought the idea was this wouldn't have a remote, let alone something for gaming with.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
what good is a TV with no content to watch on it... Last I checked, all the content that you can watch or stream via iOS... ie, HBOgo, ESPN, etc,etc.. you have to be a paying subscriber to begin with....

When rumors start breaking that Apple is negotiating with these providers I may start to get a little more interested.. as it stands now this new TV will just be a suped up version of the current ATV models..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's bout time somebody though of this, having multiple remotes is a stupid thing, remote for TV, remote for Apple TV, remote for cable box, remote for DVD/Blu-ray player, etc...

Yep all you need is your 7 inch iPod Touch and an app for that.

Hell I'm shocked that Apple hasn't revamped their own Remote app so you can hook it to an Apple TV and it basically mirrors the UI. Hella better that that little silver remote if you could just tap and go.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
As evidenced by the huge growth of television series box-sets, the way we view television has changed. Nobody wants to sit through endless hours of advertising and any OS that will allow me to stream content when I want it and how I want it will get my vote. Current on-demand set-top boxes (be it cable or satellite) have the processing power of a very slow Nokia phone from the late 90s. Give me speed and iOS like UI and you can have money

I know a lot of people- maybe all- feel this way. I don't like commercial interruptions either. However, as things are- and have been- it's those commercials that pay for the creation of most of what we watch on television. Kill the commercials and either we consumers must make up the difference in the cost-per-show or in onerous subscription pricing (higher than you would expect- as in not $10 or $20 or $30 or $40/month) or most of the production of new shows goes away.

Commercial-free programming is YouTube quality programming (where the writer/producer/actor/director/etc don't typically have a monetary objective (and are often all the same person)) or it's HBO where just a few channels costs $12+/month (and I could argue that HBO has an awful lot of commercials- albeit touting other stuff to watch on HBO- too. So, at one end you get a massive quality (of programming) downgrade because all that commercial revenue is eliminated in this "TV has changed" world OR we consumers have to make up the difference. I can tell you with certainty: the latter is not a cheap option.

In a nutshell, commercials are someone else paying for the production of the programming you get to watch for as little as free or as much as your current cable/satt subscription. It's just like the "free wifi" model at McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc. The wifi is not really free; it's someone else paying for it to give it to us for free (hoping we'll buy enough burgers, coffee or books, etc to justify the cost). Eliminate those TV commercials in some "new model" and WE become the "someone else"... or most of the great programming we love (and note that list can widely vary person-to-person) goes away.

Last edited:

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i Wish people would stop referring to it as an iTV, the name is not going to happen, iTV is the second major broadcaster in the UK after the BBC (free to air, not including sky or cable) and is not going to allow apple to use iTV as a brand name, they might get away by branding it :apple:TV , but the i Prefix is most certainly not going near this product at all.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
People replace TV's so much less frequently than computers. I assume that if Apple make a full OS complete with Apps etc, that they will also make a new AppleTV box/upgrade the old ones right?

Fully agree regarding replacement time, let alone shipping costs and inventory problems for these huge TV sets in Apple stores.

I still don't get why Apple isn't just releasing a new AppleTV box, ie. upgrade the current "hobby" box, add an app store and upgrade the OS in general.

A TV set should just be that in my opinion - a "dumb" TV displaying content, only replaced every five years or so.

The "logic" can be in the AppleTV box, the game console, the cable box or the iDevice connected wirelessly.

It can't be that hard for consumers to connect the Apple TV box with a single HDMI cable to an HDTV.

Why produce a TV set? What's wrong with picture quality, Toshiba and Sony will be out with 4k resolution sets and Samsung and LG have great OLED TV sets soon. What can Apple improve here? And how can they protect their huge gross margins producing TV sets (AAPL shareholders should be worried) ?

I'll let Apple surprise us all, but I still think producing a TV set is a dumb idea for Apple - stick to the hobby box and upgrade that.

Last edited:

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Seems like a lot to be releasing at WWDC.
iOS 6, OSX Mountain Lion, New MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and now the Apple TV set (or just it's OS)?
No way we're going to get all of these things at once.

Not so many releases...

iOS 6 Beta &iOS 6 Apple TV Beta
OSX Beta
Maybe new macs

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Will that be another open SDK or only open to content providers?

Wouldn't need to be. The Apple TV is based off iOS so those apps would work on the device if they got the deals to be able to put it on there. If the nets created player apps for their stuff like MLB has then we could subscribe directly sans cable. I love several shows on Showtime and HBO but I'm not playing TWC $60 a month for the privilege of paying another $40 for those two networks because I don't really watch anything that's non broadcast channels other than those shows. I would happy pay that $20 each a month to the nets for their package. Same with NBC cause I do watch several things on USA, Syfy, etc when they hit netflix. If I could pay them $10 a month for that package that would be okay.

Or simply get the shows on iTunes at first OTA and drop the dang prices. I mean The Borgias etc are good but really are they worth $5 an episode. No not really. $2.99 should be, in my opinion, the top level and used only for really special stuff that should be 1080p, with multi audio, subtitles etc. And toss in the commentaries and features you would have saved for the disk sets if I go season pass.

elvetio

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
The rumor says: the apple TV OS might be shown at the WWDC which is an event where apple show off new stuff.

and my opinion is that the rumor that says that apple TV OS MIGHT be shown at the wwdc doesnt make much sense. that's it

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
It's bout time somebody though of this, having multiple remotes is a stupid thing, remote for TV, remote for Apple TV, remote for cable box, remote for DVD/Blu-ray player, etc...

Now all this new Smart TVs doesn't look all that smart, eh?

so now we just have to buy a new TV, new cable box, new bluray player? Much better...

remotes from the same manufacturer often work across devices - so a Sony remote will work a Sony TV/receiver/bluray. Plus HDMI CEC is designed to do something similar too.

I'm sure Apple wants everyone to build in some proprietary system like airplay or airprint, and we'll all need brand new equipment that all needs to be networked up to communicate with the TV.

Or just buy a universal remote.

I'm curious what they come up with, but I want a paradigm shift in how people interact with the TV. I don't want a sales pitch to why I should watch all my TV from itunes. Apple needs to really open things up to make this work

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I would NEVER buy an integrated TV - set top box. When one breaks you get to replace both. This WOULD get me to finally buy an Apple TV as I want Apps on an Apple TV

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Siri Controlled Games? not so fun...

I thought the idea was this wouldn't have a remote, let alone something for gaming with.

Well if they integrate it to the entire ecosystem, and give options for apps wouldn't it make sense to add some games. I don't think the "no remote" concept apply to iOS games.

It's probably a long shot anyway.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of rumors prior to WWDC, most of which are probably BS.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I have been famous amongst my circle for my steadfast opinion that there is no way in hell that Apple would EVER build a TV. But the stars seem to be aligning and such a thing now seems possible. But as Tim said last night at D10, Apple will not do this with out some compelling value add over the TV we have today, So I'd like to share this link to a BOSE TV that they sell today and say if you start with something like what Bose is doing and add the Apple advantages (IOS, Siri, iTunes and the iTunes store, IPads and iPhones as remotes and others we do not yet know) this thing starts to seem real. so check out this link:
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/televisions/videowave/index.jsp

The Apple advantage is simplicity -It Just Works!

I hope Apple doesn't build anything close to that piece of crap.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Seems like a lot to be releasing at WWDC.
iOS 6, OSX Mountain Lion, New MacBook Pros, new iMacs, and now the Apple TV set (or just it's OS)?
No way we're going to get all of these things at once.

No we won't. WWDC is a software developers conference so iOS 6 and Mountain Lion are a given. PERHAPS this new Apple TV OS which could just be additional features from iOS that they are turning on for the TV system and not a fresh OS or a 'real tv'

those iPhone details that would be leaked by the developer preview will be mentioned but nothing about the hardware and nothing beyond "fall" or such on a release date. Same as last year.

Same notion with computers. Or we might see an overnight silent drop of the computers depending on the level of change. Frankly I don't really see a major redesign in the works for anything other than perhaps the Mac Pro if it isn't being slowly dropped out. so a silent release for a specs upgrade is how they would go

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I do enjoy spaghetti on the wall report. I think it is more likely we see some sort of Siri API than a TV OS preview (maybe both but I'm still a bit skeptical of the TV direction seeing as how Apple is being very slow in this area).

And as far as hardware, I doubt they'll ever show hardware at WWDC again unless there is something the devs have to do to be compatible with it (different iPhone screen size doesn't need to show the hardware, you just need to give the devs a reason to make their apps follow the guidelines that are already in place...so many apps are not height flexible and instead scroll off the screen...so annoying).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm curious what they come up with, but I want a paradigm shift in how people interact with the TV. I don't want a sales pitch to why I should watch all my TV from itunes. Apple needs to really open things up to make this work
I had to laugh last night when Tim said something about most people getting their content from ATV (I don't remember the exact quote). The only reason I use it is for Airplay. If I want to rent a movie it's just as easy to do it with DirecTV as ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.