Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Okay a while back I encrypted my iPhone 3G's backups, but the password I THOUGHT I used doesn't work. I've tried every password I can think of and it won't allow me to uncheck the 'Encrypt iPhone Backup' checkbox to turn off the encryption.

Is there anyway to get rid of this? I don't care about loosing the backups.

This setting must be saved on the iPhone, since it keeps the setting if I goto a new PC (my usual system is a Mac) and plug the phone in. Is the data actually encrypted on the iPhone when you use this setting?

So, I could probably do it by reformating my iPhone and setting it up as a brand new device, but is there anyway to avoid that?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
There’s no way around this. Otherwise encryption would be useless.

Yes, but I don't care if I lose the encrypted backups.

Does this mean the data is encrypted on my iPhone as well?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
No, the data is not encrypted on the iPhone.

I see what you want to do now. Just delete the backups, make a new backup and this time don’t choose to encrypt.

Tried that, but iTunes won't disable the checkbox even if the old backups are gone. And the setting traveled to a new iTunes setup without any data from the old itunes folder.

I guess I'll have to do a complete wipe when I install iOS 4 and start from scratch.

farbod

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I found a solution to your problem, as I was having the same problem for about a year. if you are using Mac, then go to Applications -> utilities -> keychain Access. once the program opened, type iphone. you'll find the device and login in this list. click on one of them, the new window will open. click on show password, enter your mac administrator password, then you can see your iphone encryption password.

hope it helps you.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
You are THE MAN.

I found a solution to your problem, as I was having the same problem for about a year. if you are using Mac, then go to Applications -> utilities -> keychain Access. once the program opened, type iphone. you'll find the device and login in this list. click on one of them, the new window will open. click on show password, enter your mac administrator password, then you can see your iphone encryption password.

hope it helps you.

I really should have thought of this myself. THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.