Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plughugger

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Tim Cook said it yesterday.

"Apple doesn't buy companies for revenue streams".

So they bought this company to integrate into Logic Pro and Garage Band.

Which would mean the existing product line would become terminated? That would do some serious harm to my Apple love.

/C

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
As a longtime Steinberg user, I am not so stoked. If they keep Redmatica's product line intact, great. If it becomes a Logic-only thing, grmph.

Zephonic,
Since Logic didn't maintain PC support after accousition from emagic, I think you might be in for a little bit of disappointment concerning the Steinberg support. For your sake and the sake of others I hope these fears are not realized.
If not maybe give logic a go? I know it sucks to have to change when you are comfortable with your setup. We get used to our DAW and develop a workflow. There is a lot of customization within logic regarding screen views and setup. Hopefully regardless of the outcome you will find a solution that works well for you.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
great news for Logic Pro users!
this means expanded exs 24 functionality.

and it means more Logic Pro updates,

good news!

best,
SvK

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
As a longtime Steinberg user, I am not so stoked. If they keep Redmatica's product line intact, great. If it becomes a Logic-only thing, grmph.

Prepare to be upset. This will be Logic-only really soon. Apple bought this so that Logic users get Redmetica for free but no one else gets it for any price. I thing they also bought this company for the employees so they can put them on other projects as well. No longer supporting Kontact and Reason will free up a few people for things like iPad sort

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I don't understand the equation here.

Apple buys an audio editing software company that specializes in portable devices and this means the Pro is dead ?

How so ?

This looks like they are trying to make Garage Band better.

Can't speak for anyone else but my post was completely sarcastic. (Thought it would be obvious considering how the story says nothing about Mac Pro cancellation but I guess we're to the point where you can't tell what is parody and what isn't on this forum.)

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
agreed. good sign, unless they convert it for the ipad . . :eek:

But the new iPad is the replacement for the Mac Pro. The combination of the iPhone & iPod Touch takes care of the Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air. This purchase is just another one in the continuing replacement of all Macs with the many iToys.

I guess that my Mac Pro with 4 3 TB hard drives & 6 30+' displays is not needed anymore. Just 1 or 2 3.5" displays & a sub 10" is all that wee need anymore.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

They also don't promise features (vaporware) or clone other's software (microsoft). They make good acquisitions.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
But the new iPad is the replacement for the Mac Pro. The combination of the iPhone & iPod Touch takes care of the Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air. This purchase is just another one in the continuing replacement of all Macs with the many iToys.

I guess that my Mac Pro with 4 3 TB hard drives & 6 30+' displays is not needed anymore. Just 1 or 2 3.5" displays & a sub 10" is all that wee need anymore.

Clearly you don't have a clue.

Redmatica doesn't make iToys. They've got a sample manager for iPad but their area is Logic Pro and other higher end DAW.

I guess you can see whatever you want though.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
This could be good news for Logic users. Still, I don't trust Apple with Pro Apps at all anymore. Hopefully I will be proved wrong by Logic X not pulling a Final Cut -> iMovie style transition, but I don't hold out much hope. Will Apple continue to justify producing both Garage Band and Logic, or will they pull some more mainstreaming crap by merging up the low end and down the high end to produce a single mediocre product aimed at the mass amateur market? It is indeed a trend, but only time will tell. I would bet this acquisition was more people oriented then product oriented.

PS - If they do sample management and there has been mention of siri, perhaps this has to do with integrating and managing language databases? Just a thought.

PPS - interesting article on Apple's Pro App Graveyard from last year:

http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=322

Last edited:

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Gotta love the "professionals" and their "end-of-the-pro/logic" sandwich boards..

bigtriece

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
It's For Siri

The purchase of Redmatica is definitely for Siri folks. Redmatica is basically a giant database management tool for organising your audio samples. It is useful for sorting and indexing massive amounts of audio samples. This purchase has got nothing to do with Logic which has most likely been dropped just like Shake.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
Gotta love the fanboi's and their blind trust in a company that has a bad reputation for purchasing, dumbing down, and EOL'ing professional media apps.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
It doesn't look like some folks here know what this software is. As a redmatica customer, lemme help.

This software cut its teeth on sample management and creation. For those of us professional sound designers and composers with MASSIVE amounts samlples and huge libraries for our EXS24 (the native logic sampler) managing all those files and keeping them optimized can be a major chore. Especially if you use external or additional internal drives.

redmatica sample managers have been a Godsend with regards to Logic. Apple acquiring this tells me that the manager may possibly be integrated, thereby furthering the development of Logic Pro. This, folks, is an AWESOME acquisition. Kinda like when apple first acquired Logic from a little German company called Emagic... It was the best thing to happen to the software.

Logic Pro users are stoked, trust me.

Joey B.
Apple Certified Master Trainer (Logic Pro advanced)

Yeah, first thought that ran through my mind when I read the article was "HUZZAH LOGIC LIVES".

natteaap

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2008
It doesn't look like some folks here know what this software is. As a redmatica customer, lemme help.

This software cut its teeth on sample management and creation. For those of us professional sound designers and composers with MASSIVE amounts samlples and huge libraries for our EXS24 (the native logic sampler) managing all those files and keeping them optimized can be a major chore. Especially if you use external or additional internal drives.

redmatica sample managers have been a Godsend with regards to Logic. Apple acquiring this tells me that the manager may possibly be integrated, thereby furthering the development of Logic Pro. This, folks, is an AWESOME acquisition. Kinda like when apple first acquired Logic from a little German company called Emagic... It was the best thing to happen to the software.

Logic Pro users are stoked, trust me.

Joey B.
Apple Certified Master Trainer (Logic Pro advanced)

I'm really looking forward to see this kind of integration baked in to the software. I'm a logic pro user and I'm stoked. It means that logic is not dead after all. I was not tearing my hair out just yet, but the doubt was slowly seeping in. Now I'm somewhat more assured that apple has plans for logic pro, let it go the X way big time.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area

I know. My knee-jerk reaction would be to buy Redmatica's existing software before it is discontinued, but support for it would likely be dropped the minute Apple acquires them.

Zephonic,
Since Logic didn't maintain PC support after accousition from emagic, I think you might be in for a little bit of disappointment concerning the Steinberg support. For your sake and the sake of others I hope these fears are not realized.
If not maybe give logic a go? I know it sucks to have to change when you are comfortable with your setup. We get used to our DAW and develop a workflow. There is a lot of customization within logic regarding screen views and setup. Hopefully regardless of the outcome you will find a solution that works well for you.

I have used Logic before, up to v8. IMO, it is not as well-rounded as Cubase/Nuendo, although it does offer better MIDI-timing. I think I'd leave OSX before I'd leave Steinberg, if it were to come to that.

Prepare to be upset. This will be Logic-only really soon. Apple bought this so that Logic users get Redmetica for free but no one else gets it for any price. I thing they also bought this company for the employees so they can put them on other projects as well. No longer supporting Kontact and Reason will free up a few people for things like iPad sort

Yup. I reckon that is about the size of it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The purchase of Redmatica is definitely for Siri folks. Redmatica is basically a giant database management tool for organising your audio samples. It is useful for sorting and indexing massive amounts of audio samples. This purchase has got nothing to do with Logic which has most likely been dropped just like Shake.

No it's not. DB management is a feature of Redmatica's product but what they do is edit and map samples and that has little to do with Siri

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

So you think Sirihas large sample of audio inside it some place? That is no how it works. The first step in all speech recognition software is to extract "features" from the audio and then toss the audio out. The stream o extracted features os MUCH lower bandwidth but more importantly it is a string of symbols and is no longer a time domain signal at all. I can't see any reason for Siri to maintain a large database of audio samples.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
Because the only way to ensure that no one is wrong on the internet is if he is the only one talking.

No, it's because people who don't understand what their products do make retarded conjectures.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
...a computer with that processing power with 4GBs OF RAM?! WTF apple? i'ts bad enough that you sell your laptops and imacs with 4gb of ram, it just doesn't make sence RAM is so cheap nowadays, i bought 8gb of ram for my 2011 mbp for a bit more then 30€...

Similar to having to pay an optional $200 for $15 worth of floor mats in your new car. The car will run fine without them, but you purchase them because you know for sure that they'll fit and work properly.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I don't understand the equation here.

Apple buys an audio editing software company that specializes in portable devices and this means the Pro is dead ?

How so ?

This looks like they are trying to make Garage Band better.

Improving Garage Band or even bringing Logic to iPad was my first thought too. I don't know why many people are jumping to conclusions about the Mac Pro being doomed as a result, though admittedly the line isn't looking good at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.