Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2010
i have a 3gs which i wanna upgrade to 5.1.1.
its presently on ipad baseband so i need to use ultrasnow also..

i am stuck as to how will i be able to activate the phone after upgrading it as i do not have an at&t sim with me..

can someone help me out with this??

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
i have a 3gs which i wanna upgrade to 5.1.1.
its presently on ipad baseband so i need to use ultrasnow also..

i am stuck as to how will i be able to activate the phone after upgrading it as i do not have an at&t sim with me..

can someone help me out with this??

If you make a custom firmware to preserve the baseband, upgrade it and then jailbreak it, it'll be activated.

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2010
If you make a custom firmware to preserve the baseband, upgrade it and then jailbreak it, it'll be activated.

i could not find that option on the latest redsnow..i know it exists in pwanage tool but they have not released a version which supports 5.1.1...

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2010
if i am using the new pwnage tool 5.1.1 to hactivate an iphone without a sim,

while the ios is being installed and hactivated, do i need to have a sim in the phone or can the sim tray be empty??

i know this is a very trivial question, but i wanted to be sure before i went through with the process??

waynef89

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Why don't you downgrade the baseband? Then do custom firmware while preserving the 05.03.04 bb?

siege1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Redsn0w Has a beta version 0.9.13dev2 that supports the older devices and will jailbreak your 3GS thru DFU mode I used it on my 3GS with iOS 5.1.1 and it worked with no SIM card installed it did still try to activate the phone and failed but Cydia was now installed and could be accessed thru the emergency call work around many videos posted on youtube if your not sure how to do the work around so now you can access and run SAM or any other app from Cydia to unlock and activate your phone to your specific carrier. If you have the issue where you have upgraded your baseband and your phone will not attempt to make the emergency call in order to use the work around you can use Redsn0w version 0.9.14b1 to downgrade your baseband as long as your phone is one of the older models Dev teams page has instructions on how to check phone modle and downgrade baseband using the Ultrasn0w link on their page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.