Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few days, several leaks have surfaced showing an alleged front panel for the next-generation iPhone and a design schematic for what appears to be the same part.

iphone_5_front_panel_macotakara_2.jpg
Japanese blog Mac Otakara has now gotten its hands on one of those front panel parts and posted photos and a video comparing it to the current iPhone design. As has been shown by leaks so far, the next-generation iPhone would be somewhat taller than the current model, with estimates putting the difference in height at roughly 10 mm.

Roughly in line with the design schematic leaked yesterday, Mac Otakara measures the display opening at 10.33 cm (4.07 in) diagonally, allowing a 4-inch display as has been rumored to fit within the opening.

iphone_5_front_panel_macotakara_1.jpg

Article Link: Taller Next-Generation iPhone Front Panel Caught on Video

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Like it or not, fragmentation of the displays has begun.

edit: why so many negative votes? There's a huge difference between simply doubling the resolution in both width and height and completely changing the aspect ratio. It doesn't matter much for apps like an address book but it's going to be annoying to code for a third device with some kinds of apps like games. iPhone and iPhone Retina at 3:2, iPad and iPad@2x at 4:3, iPhone 5@2x at 16:9... if that's not fragmentation I don't know what is.

Thinking "it's not as bad as Android" is no excuse, it's fragmentation anyway.

Last edited:

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I'm quite interested to see how they pull off integrating apps of the old aspect ratio with this new ratio. I think I would have preferred the same ratio, only larger, so I get a larger keyboard in portrait mode (how I use my phone for typing).

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Is there much benefit to only changing the screen size in one dimension?

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Never before have we had their many "leaks" so early with video and non-blurry pictures of a new iProduct

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I'm quite interested to see how they pull off integrating apps of the old aspect ratio with this new ratio. I think I would have preferred the same ratio, only larger, so I get a larger keyboard in portrait mode (how I use my phone for typing).

It just means more vertical screen real estate, really. Same horizontal resolution. Existing apps will work fine, maybe with small black bars top and bottom.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
The black looks aesthetically sleeker now that it's taller; The back of the iPhone has me worried a tad, but part of me knows that Apple will conjure up a beauty nevertheless.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is there much benefit to only changing the screen size in one dimension?

redesigning non-game apps is probably easier... as most already adjust somewhat vertically, and also tend to use infinite scroll.

arn

djpuma

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I really was hoping for a wider phone not taller. hopefully these are just some old protos to throw us off of the real iphone 4SS/5/6

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
So we've got a new resolution and new aspect ratio with a cramped landscape mode.

But guys, it's 4"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.