Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook_ios_icon-150x150.jpg

TechCrunch reports that iOS 6 will include system-level integration of Facebook, similar to the integration seen with Twitter in iOS 5. The report comes just days after Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke positively about Facebook at the D10 Conference, closing his thoughts on the relationship between Apple and Facebook with the suggestive phrase "stay tuned".
After much speculation, Facebook integration will indeed be baked into the latest version of iOS, we've learned. [...]

To be clear, Twitter will still very much be a part of the new iOS (presumably named "iOS 6´´ and codenamed "Sundance"), and that company will be holding sessions at WWDC to chat more about the continued partnership (including the integration into the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion). But Facebook integration will be very important for iOS -- tons of apps use Facebook for sign-ups and authentication (many use Facebook as the only way to do this, to the dismay of some). Apple was undoubtedly watching this activity and realized that it was time to formally bring Facebook on board.
TechCrunch notes that Apple and Facebook are still working out how sharing items to Facebook will be integrated, given the varying levels of permissions on Facebook posts. The report also includes the caveat that Apple has been known to change its mind in the past, but as of right now Facebook integration is reportedly set to be unveiled in iOS 6 at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference later this month.

Article Link: iOS 6 to Bring Systemwide Facebook Integration

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
No thanks. My personal information stays close to me. There is no need to put it all over the web.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Wow. That's a step in the wrong direction.

I see why Apple feels like they have to do it (Google has Google+), but facebook is one step away from a hot mess.

I got rid of the facebook app on my (android) phone because I grew tired of getting notifications everytime someone invited me to play farmville, et al.

rafaltrus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Champaign, IL
I had FB for a while, but stopped using it after it went on Wall Street at such an outrageous price. The more I read about FB's practices, the less likely I...liked it. It has become such an intrusive parasite! Frankly, I am not interested in having FB integrated system-wide in my iPod Touch (poor college student...can't afford an iPhone -__-).

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
No thanks. My personal information stays close to me. There is no need to put it all over the web.

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean others don't. Many apps use Facebook to login (thereby preventing the ordeal of going through signing up for a new account with the app itself). If you don't like the integration, you can simply choose not to use it.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I like but rarely use Twitter integration and although I'm on Facebook I, for one, do not want to see it integrated into my iOS or OSX environments, hopefully one can assume that this can be switched off in preferences.

Bradllez

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2012
Orlando
Wow. That's a step in the wrong direction.

I see why Apple feels like they have to do it (Google has Google+), but facebook is one step away from a hot mess.

I got rid of the facebook app on my (android) phone because I grew tired of getting notifications everytime someone invited me to play farmville, et al.
You can block notifications from such apps...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This was always going to happen. Apple would be unwise to ignore facebook. They've already integrated twitter.. so adding more social networks, especially the largest, makes sense.

Social Networks, in whatever form, is here to stay.

If you don't use Facebook, you don't have to use the functionality.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Who cares. Not using FB and looking at the majority of comments not many people at least here are either. FB doesn't get my private information to make money (if they can even make money with it).

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
All these people not wanting facebook, did you ever think that not everyone uses Twitter?

As social networking becomes more and more popular, more options are always a good thing.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Yep, i'd love to add the fact that Facebook has virtually no privacy guards. They virtually give any info to gov't and corporations.

Hell, Facebook makes it really hard to delete anything from their servers. once in facebook, they have it and share it how they see fit.

Not really a great idea to me that this will be baked in at the IOS level. What privacy protections are there????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.