Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opspin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
So, The New iPad has a resolution of 2048×1536 (3.145.728 pixels), which is currently the second highest resolution display that Apple makes, closely followed by the 27" iMac and Thunderbolt Display with their 2560×1440 (3.686.400 pixels) mind you, iPad has a few more pixels on one side than iMac.

The 15" MacBook Pro currently sports a 1440×900 (1.296.000 pixels) or 1680×1050 (1.764.000 pixels) display, far short of iPad, and there have been rumors of a retina display MacBook Pro since at least December 2011. If these persistent rumors are to be believed, the MacBook will receive a significant pixel boost to 2880x1800 (5.184.000 pixels) making it by far the most pixel heavy display in the apple lineup.

Now, do you seriously believe that iMac will just sit there and take it‽ do you really believe that iMac will be upstaged by an uppity MacBook Pro with its puny 15" screen sporting more pixels (2880x1800 vs 2560x1440) than the mighty 27" iMac‽

Or do you think that Apple will cement its status as a company at the intersection of of Technology and Liberal Arts and bulldoze away all competition with the first iMac 4K‽ (yes I'm officially calling it)

iMac will either stay 27" or go with Sharps example and go to 32" the display will be either 3840x2160 (8.294.400pixels) Quad Full High Definition (QFHD) or one of the other 4K resolutions. Look at Canon, they're coming out with the EOS-1D C 4K DSLR do you really think that Apple will let a puny little camera like that upstage them? 4096x2160 not a problem I say!

Think about it! The first commercial movie available in 4K is already here! granted it's 31GB and comes on a USB stick and is $100, or 140GB and comes on a freakin' harddisk for $300.

Does Blu-Ray do 4K? no! will Apple get rid of the gorram optical drive? hell yes! It's time to end this outdated tech, it's about 30 years old! Will they tout iMac 4K's ability to work with 4K video out of the box? hell yeah! Will iMovie do 4K? probably not, it's a consumer friendly program that comes free with every mac, but the often criticized Final Cut Pro X? they'll take your 4K video and eat it for breakfast, will you have to put your video on some kind of special harddisk or some kind of future optical media vaporware? fụck no, youtube already does 4K and has done so for almost two years now! Final Cut could probably get an update to upload 4K movies to youtube directly (if they haven't already, I haven't played with it yet)

So, to conclude, there is no way in hell, Apple will let the iMac get an update without seriously updating the display, it might not come out at WWDC, unless they also choose to tout Final Cut and its updates, the writing has already been on the wall, with the iMac 4K getting mediocre benchmarks, probably because it has to drive this new 8 megapixel display. This also lines up well with the lack of any iMac updates so far and the "There's a lot to look forward to" comment from Tim Cook.

what will replace the optical? well, it would be nice to have more harddisk space instead, but everything is moving to the cloud, I say it will give them room to make it ever so slightly thinner, get rid of the chin and make more room inside the cramped space to put the harddrive in a more accessible position and get better airflow.
iMac2012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin Chung

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Netherlands
You know, this would be fantastic! :D

Imagine a 32" 4k computer with a thinner design for the price of the current iMac, I'd buy that! But I just don't think such a machine is coming anytime soon.

Apple is more incremental in its ways.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Well good. The new iMac being retina wouldn't stop me from buying it, but I would probably have to find/write an AppleScript to change it to normal resolution quickly when I'm doing graphics stuff (especially 3D) because I don't want to sacrifice performance.

Also, the OP's zesty language makes the post a bit more interesting.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I'm not in the market for an iMac, but a Retina Thunderbolt Display would be great! (Yeah, TB could drive a single Quad-HD Display). Could anybody find information on how much a 27" Quad-HD panel costs?

I don't think they'll go 32" - it's a consumer device, after all.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Of course this is going to happen and soon.

NAB 2012 was all about 4k playback. RED showed their RED Ray recorder and spoke about their upcoming 4k Projector.

OLED 55" 4K screens were shown.

An 8K screen was shown where you couldn't see any pixels.

Sharps IGZO technology supposedly is affordable enough that a 32" iMac would work at the high end.

One of the reasons why I don't think Apple is going to work too hard on developing good multi-monitor support in future versions of OS X is because I suspect that for those that want multiple monitors there will be larger displays to choose and perhaps a 32" may just work for many.

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Someone found a new reason to repost his photochop design and fish for more compliments! Could you at least put in the time and effort to create other rendered views or should I assume it looks like the 27" ATD from the front? Show us something else or stop showing it.

I can't wait for this thread to devolve into another fight over Apple dropping the ODD.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
If retina iMacs do come, and I hope they do, then the 21.5 inch model will carry a 3840x2160 resolution, and the 27 inch model a 5120x2880 resolution.

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
If they're going to retina displays then it's certain that they will need to upgrade the whole lineup once, because nobody would buy 27 TBD nor iMac because it has less pixels than MB Pro.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If they're going to retina displays then it's certain that they will need to upgrade the whole lineup once, because nobody would buy 27 TBD nor iMac because it has less pixels than MB Pro.

Not the pixels matter but the usable area. You won't be able to actually pack more information onto a 15" display, no matter the resolution, if you still want to be able to read the text.

I am against 4K iMac. While technically possible, neither the hardware not software are ready for this. For tablet, high-res display is a great move, for a computer, macs already have some of the highest-DPI screens industry-wide.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
I (that don't yet own ANY Mac) would be happy with this on the new iMac:

SSD as standard
More RAM
Better CPU
Better GPU
USB3.0
Lower or equal pricing

What I don't want/need:

Thinner iMac (it's already ok, why sacrifice other stuff to gain a negligible amount of desk space)?
Gigantic screen (the 21' is great for me)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Someone found a new reason to repost his photochop design and fish for more compliments! Could you at least put in the time and effort to create other rendered views or should I assume it looks like the 27" ATD from the front? Show us something else or stop showing it.

I can't wait for this thread to devolve into another fight over Apple dropping the ODD.

Yes... a specific kind of fishing :D

trolling_pic.png

This argument has never been accurate. Laptop displays have been ahead of many desktop panels for the past several years. The desktop displays still look better. You don't have to view them from 6 inches away.

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
Not the pixels matter but the usable area. You won't be able to actually pack more information onto a 15" display, no matter the resolution, if you still want to be able to read the text.

I am against 4K iMac. While technically possible, neither the hardware not software are ready for this. For tablet, high-res display is a great move, for a computer, macs already have some of the highest-DPI screens industry-wide.

You would be able to read the text as you can read it on new iPad. Only software modifications would be essential then, aka HiDPl which they already have in Lion.
But I have to agree that it is a little bit too early because hardware isn't quite ready for such DPl. By ready I am considering that you won't see decreased performace compared with previous models.

Decked

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
I was just wondering if there was any more news about this?
Anyone heard anything? :cool:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I was just wondering if there was any more news about this?
Anyone heard anything? :cool:

No.

Speculating here, but I'd bet we see 4K as an option on Thunderbolt Displays first. The absolute soonest you could expect Apple to announce anything like that is June's WWDC, and that's if they're also ready to announce their Mac Pro upgrade/replacement.

Decked

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
No.

Speculating here, but I'd bet we see 4K as an option on Thunderbolt Displays first. The absolute soonest you could expect Apple to announce anything like that is June's WWDC, and that's if they're also ready to announce their Mac Pro upgrade/replacement.

OK Thanks.

I've been reading about the TB display... Now I know what it is! LOL

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
You know, this would be fantastic! :D

Imagine a 32" 4k computer with a thinner design for the price of the current iMac, I'd buy that! But I just don't think such a machine is coming anytime soon.

Apple is more incremental in its ways.

that's all we can do , is imagine ! I don't think that will ever happen at that price range .

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Once again. If you wish to stop using technology simply because of the year it was invented, you should bin your keyboard. And anything that uses, you know, electricity. And anything with wheels.

Actually laughed my head off at this.

In regards to the original post. I do think the iMac will eventually sport a higher resolution display, it's rather obvious actually. 4K will become the norm whether we like it or not in the next 5 years, just like 'HD' TV did 7-8 years ago. An updated iMac display will fit nicely in that 5 year window. Furthermore, It won't be anytime in the next year. It's already one of the finest displays on the market, why push to change it when there is nobody else around it seriously challenging it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.