Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Hey, everyone!

I'm looking for a great wide angle lens for a Nikon D5000. Right now, I have a 18-55mm, but I'd love to get a wide angle lens that is nicer than the 18-55mm.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
I'm really no expert but I've been researching this as well. I have a D5100 and want a wide-angle in the future.

As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm. Apparently the older 12-24mm is quite good as well.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
I'm really no expert but I've been researching this as well. I have a D5100 and want a wide-angle in the future.

As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm. Apparently the older 12-24mm is quite good as well.

Thanks for you help, dude.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey, everyone!

I'm looking for a great wide angle lens for a Nikon D5000. Right now, I have a 18-55mm, but I'd love to get a wide angle lens that is nicer than the 18-55mm.

The BIG question is "Where will you use this lens?" If it is indoors with available light then go with the faster lens, maybe even the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 because it goes to f/2.8

You can also look for a used nikon 12-24mm f/4.0 It is a stop faster then the current one and is a better lens. It is built well enough that if might last 50 years. That is the reason so many people buy Nikon for the available used lenses.

My opinion is 12mm is "wide enough" and 12mmis WAY wider than your 18mm lens even if 6mm does not sound like much, it is. I think a 10mm lens is bordering of a "special effect".

But any advice is not worth much unless you tell use where you will shoot. For example land scopes are fine with a f/5.6 lens. But for indoor people shoots you will really like the f/2.8 lens two stops is a 4x reduction in shutter speed or ISO setting and you can almost isolate the subject (Indoor shots are many times cluttered.)

----------

As per my limited research, the best wide-angle seems to be the Nikon 10-24mm.

"Best" for what kind of subjects? People, archeticure, landscapes?.... I really prefer NOT to use an f/5.6 lens for people. It works for other subjects

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
The BIG question is "Where will you use this lens?" If it is indoors with available light then go with the faster lens, maybe even the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 because it goes to f/2.8

You can also look for a used nikon 12-24mm f/4.0 It is a stop faster then the current one and is a better lens. It is built well enough that if might last 50 years. That is the reason so many people buy Nikon for the available used lenses.

My opinion is 12mm is "wide enough" and 12mmis WAY wider than your 18mm lens even if 6mm does not sound like much, it is. I think a 10mm lens is bordering of a "special effect".

But any advice is not worth much unless you tell use where you will shoot. For example land scopes are fine with a f/5.6 lens. But for indoor people shoots you will really like the f/2.8 lens two stops is a 4x reduction in shutter speed or ISO setting and you can almost isolate the subject (Indoor shots are many times cluttered.)

----------

"Best" for what kind of subjects? People, archeticure, landscapes?.... I really prefer NOT to use an f/5.6 lens for people. It works for other subjects

Sorry for my poor word choice. As I expressed, I am not an expert.

bobt

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I've been very pleased with the Nikon 12-24, actually have purchased two (bought one for my son, borrowed it for too long and ended up buying another). Both have been great lenses for our needs, really didn't give too much consideration to buying the 10-24 when I bought mine even though it was out.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011

I mostly photograph people, trains, buses, cars, etc.

Any more help? I appreciate everyone's replies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I mostly photograph people, trains, buses, cars, etc.

Any more help? I appreciate everyone's replies.

With those subjects I'd want the f/2.8 lens.

Also a 10mm lens is so wide it is hard not to get distortion that really draws attention to itself. You almost need to keep a bubble level on a 10mm lens. I'd buy a 12-24 for your subjects. I think you can find these used.

I also like to use a size extra-small "soft box" that is maybe 12" wide. I see to use that setup with Agfa portrait film. Now with digital I try for that same kind of color with people.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Consider the Nikkor 10.5mm, 2.8 Fisheye and use Fisheye Hemi when you want a super wide view without the fisheye distortion.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Back before I jumped to full frame Canons, I had a Nikon D90 just for use with my old sigma 10-20mm lens, that lens was my favourite and never came off the D90, it was so nice, it's the only lens I miss, sometimes I feel it was better than my 17-40 f4 canon lens, it's worth checking out, just my thoughts ;)

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I've been really happy with the Tokina 11-16mm on a D7000.

+1

Absolutely love this lens. I use it all the time. I've never used the Nikon wide angle, but read a bunch of comparative reviews before buying (was getting one or the other). So happy with the purchase of it and no regrets at all.

I use it primarily on a D7000 as well, but recently did quite a bit with it on my D40 in manual focus. So much of what I shoot with it is focused all the way out it isn't any issue at all, but really easy in any case.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Just understand that with your D5000, you will not be able to autofocus with the Tokina 11-16 as it does not have a focusing motor in the lens body like Nikons AFS lenses. The new Tokina 11-16 will but it has been delayed until September. I have a D5000 also and this was a lens I was interested in until I found out I couldn't AF with it.

3mj

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Seeking help

Hi everyone

This is my first time at blogging and I am seeking some advice.

I am a student photographer and I am looking at getting a wide angle lens for my D5000. I want something low to mid range price with AF. I have been told that other then Nikon Sigma is also a good brand. I mainly photograph landscape and architecture. I have noticed there has been talk about the 12mm-24mm lens would this be the best one to go with? Can someone please guide me into which direction i should take. As I am a little lost at the moment.

Emma-Jane :)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Hey, everyone!

What is your budget?

If you have deep pockets, you could go with the Nikkor 10-24mm or the 12-24mm. However, if you don't have deep pockets, then you can easily go with the Tokina 11-16mm or 12-24mm lenses.

logicalways

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2012
I love the 12-24 for my Crop D3200 and the 14-24 F/2.8 on my D700 but have used the Tokina 11-16mm as well and was quite surprised at how great the shots turned out. Way above my expectations on third party lenses. If you're on a budget you can find a great deal on the Tokina's and you wont be let down. For other people reading this thread, My experience on lens manufactures puts a ranking like this. Again, this is just based on my experience and so everyone else's might be or will be different:

1st choice for my Nikon Cameras are as follows:

1. Nikkor Lenses
2. Tamron
3/4. Tied between Sigma & Tokina

It all depends on your budget and what you shoot. Sometimes you only use a certain lens for 1 type of shot and so it's not worth spending huge bucks to use it once every 6 months so you find a third party lens. Sometimes you spend more because you want better weather sealing and durability but still only use the lens once every 6 months so you spend the money on the more expensive lenses. Or you just have tons of cash and you want to buy all Nikon lens haha it's all about what you shoot, and what your priorities are.

3mj

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Budget wise I was looking at $600 max the 12m-24m is the one I am keen on any ideas where I could get it for a good price? I am heading over to Singapore at the end of the month and have been told they have a really good selection of lenses over there as long as I know what I am looking for. Has any one been to Singapore before and purchased a lens if so where?

Hi everyone

This is my first time at blogging and I am seeking some advice.

I am a student photographer and I am looking at getting a wide angle lens for my D5000. I want something low to mid range price with AF. I have been told that other then Nikon Sigma is also a good brand. I mainly photograph landscape and architecture. I have noticed there has been talk about the 12mm-24mm lens would this be the best one to go with? Can someone please guide me into which direction i should take. As I am a little lost at the moment.

Emma-Jane :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.