Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Ok, to begin, this is NOT an Apple bashing thread. Here goes:

I think Apple's out of ideas. Forget who's running the show or how much Apple is worth right now, let's look at why I think Apple is quite possibly doomed for a crash:

1)Apple has been eating off the iOS gravy train for 3+ years now. The iPod, then the iPhone, and the last 3 years has been the iPad. Getting pretty old. It's the same 90% features on 3 different physical devices.

2)Building on #1, Apple hasn't introduced anything earth shattering since the iPhone and even then Apple released the iPod Touch which is the iPhone minus the phone. Again, iOS is the same no matter what device you're on, limited by hardware characteristics of course. The new Macs that roll out ever year? Nah...Apple has basically given up on the Mac line. And why has it been well over a year since an iMac update?...without even the foggiest hint of at LEAST a release date? Sure, Apple will gladly take your money if you choose a Mac, but Apple has clearly no intention of being a computer company...Apple wants to be a consumer electronics company like Sony that also dabbles in computers...and that's perfectly fine.

3)There have been rumors for a long time about how Apple is somehow going to revolutionize television. This started years ago when Apple released the AppleTV (which I just bought since they finally incorporated 1080p when the 1080p technology has been on every HD tv since 2001). The last year or so it's been more focused on some magical TV. So Apple is now going to kill AppleTV or???? There's going to be some expensive (let's face it, it's not going to be cheap) Apple branded HD tv that we buy that somehow makes us feel "wow, the last 20+ years of how I watched TV was sooooo difficult or annoying")? I don't believe it. I have my dvr functionality...I have hd offerings...I have a trillion channels on the lowest cable package...I have program guides to help me find things...I have premium channels if I want them. I really don't see how an Apple experience is going to make me that much happier...or what the backlash will be from my ISP if I now start "streaming" all my tv content over the "internet connection" instead of using their dedicated tv infrastructure.

Overall I think Apple, albeit with a ton of money in the bank, is scratching its head. Sure, iPad 4.0 will be out in 8 months or so...iPhone 5 will be out this Fall...and someday maybe an iMac update. But where are the NEW products? Apple can only keep "upgrading" its products for so long before a)market saturation (like the iPod line a few years ago hit) occurs for iPhone and iPad and b)consumers get bored of no new Apple products. Apple doesn't need to have 49 products, but really it has 2 families (iOS and Mac) with a total of 10-11 products (1 iPhone, 2 iMacs, 1 Mini, 2 laptops, 4 iPods, 1 iPad). It's also quite debatable just how different an iPhone is from an iPad as well as the iPod Touch...so really it's more like 7-8 products.

I like Apple...but I fail to see what Apple is going to spring on us next. If the rumors are right it is a TV. But do you really think folks are going to dump their beautiful (insert brand/size/style HD tv here) $800-$3000 HD tv for an Apple version?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

I think Apple's out of ideas. Forget who's running the show or how much Apple is worth right now, let's look at why I think Apple is quite possibly doomed for a crash:

1)Apple has been eating off the iOS gravy train for 3+ years now. The iPod, then the iPhone, and the last 3 years has been the iPad. Getting pretty old. It's the same 90% features on 3 different physical devices.

2)Building on #1, Apple hasn't introduced anything earth shattering since the iPhone and even then Apple released the iPod Touch which is the iPhone minus the phone. Again, iOS is the same no matter what device you're on, limited by hardware characteristics of course. The new Macs that roll out ever year? Nah...Apple has basically given up on the Mac line. And why has it been well over a year since an iMac update?...without even the foggiest hint of at LEAST a release date? Sure, Apple will gladly take your money if you choose a Mac, but Apple has clearly no intention of being a computer company...Apple wants to be a consumer electronics company like Sony that also dabbles in computers...and that's perfectly fine.

3)There have been rumors for a long time about how Apple is somehow going to revolutionize television. This started years ago when Apple released the AppleTV (which I just bought since they finally incorporated 1080p when the 1080p technology has been on every HD tv since 2001). The last year or so it's been more focused on some magical TV. So Apple is now going to kill AppleTV or???? There's going to be some expensive (let's face it, it's not going to be cheap) Apple branded HD tv that we buy that somehow makes us feel "wow, the last 20+ years of how I watched TV was sooooo difficult or annoying")? I don't believe it. I have my dvr functionality...I have hd offerings...I have a trillion channels on the lowest cable package...I have program guides to help me find things...I have premium channels if I want them. I really don't see how an Apple experience is going to make me that much happier...or what the backlash will be from my ISP if I now start "streaming" all my tv content over the "internet connection" instead of using their dedicated tv infrastructure.

Overall I think Apple, albeit with a ton of money in the bank, is scratching its head. Sure, iPad 4.0 will be out in 8 months or so...iPhone 5 will be out this Fall...and someday maybe an iMac update. But where are the NEW products? Apple can only keep "upgrading" its products for so long before a)market saturation (like the iPod line a few years ago hit) occurs for iPhone and iPad and b)consumers get bored of no new Apple products. Apple doesn't need to have 49 products, but really it has 2 families (iOS and Mac) with a total of 10-11 products (1 iPhone, 2 iMacs, 1 Mini, 2 laptops, 4 iPods, 1 iPad). It's also quite debatable just how different an iPhone is from an iPad as well as the iPod Touch...so really it's more like 7-8 products.

I like Apple...but I fail to see what Apple is going to spring on us next. If the rumors are right it is a TV. But do you really think folks are going to dump their beautiful (insert brand/size/style HD tv here) $800-$3000 HD tv for an Apple version?

Sorry, but I stopped reading after this.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ok, so if they're out of ideas then what would you bring to the table?
I love all the talk and absolutely no action.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008

In those 3 years Apple has completely revolutionized the way we use technology. The iPod was 7 years old before the iPhone was released, would you have posted this thread then?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
The future isn't about packing your bags with more hardware. It's about integration and connectivity and that's where all the good work is still yet to be done.

People in all jobs and in their daily affairs want to access information, make requests and get things done without having to wait for a queue. They want to be able to do that at any hour of the day or night and they want to be able to do it from any point they stand on the planet.

Huge amount of work to make all that seamless, and fast. I would say Apple have a long way to go yet. All tech companies do. What we have now is decent stuff, but nothing really is performing at a speed or precision that wows us.

You probably typed your original post from a device with an optical drive in it :D Stoneage ;)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008

Care to tell us what Apple released that was earth shattering? Please don't say the iPad...it's the iPhone/Touch that's 4 times the size. Yes, to the .001% of people who have lived in a cave since 2001 and never seen an iPhone or Touch, the iPad is amazing...but to the rest of society, it's that same thing on a much larger device.

Is the iPad worthless? Of course not. But let's be realistic...the iPad and iPhone and Touch share 90% of the features. Anything that is missing is simply due to lack of hardware (such as that the Touch and iPad cannot make phone calls).

You can't be talking about AppleTV. It's ok...I have it. There are ton of other devices on the market that a)do the same thing b)do more and c)were out much earlier than the ATV.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
3D is a waste of time (for me at least).

I feel like Apple's big thing will be 4K for TVs and hopefully do something about the cable/content providers' vertical integration.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
So.umm. Where does the MacBook Air creating the ultra book phenom come in here ?

And thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt! You're kidding. That's the best laugh I've had in months.

The MBA? What phenomenon? You're kidding there, too. You might want to look up the definition of phenomenon. Yes, it's a snazzy-looking lightweight computer...and?

Thunderbolt. I can't stop laughing.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

The MBA? What phenomenon? You're kidding there, too. You might want to look up the definition of phenomenon. Yes, it's a snazzy-looking lightweight computer...and?

Have you even looked at any of the new windows laptops lately ?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

Oh I don't know.. the fact that every computer manufacturer is trying to make an "ultra book" and they end up looking exactly like a mba?

And if you don't think the iPad changed the tablet industry when it was introduced you are just kidding yourself at this point.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Apple had better ___(pick one from Group A)__________ or ____(pick one from Group B)____________

Group A
make an iPhone with a bigger screen
add a Blu-ray drive
remove the optical drive
release a new Mac Pro
refresh iOS
bring back Spaces
add a file system to the iPad/iPhone
allow customization of their devices
offer a bigger iPad
offer a smaller iPad
unveil something new that nobody has ever thought or dreamed about

Group B
they are doomed
people will switch to Android
users will buy Windows
they will lose marketshare in the tablet wars
they will crash like ___(fill in the blank)___
users will buy a Windows 8 tablet

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Care to tell us what Apple released that was earth shattering? Please don't say the iPad...it's the iPhone/Touch that's 4 times the size. Yes, to the .001% of people who have lived in a cave since 2001 and never seen an iPhone or Touch, the iPad is amazing...but to the rest of society, it's that same thing on a much larger device.

Is the iPad worthless? Of course not. But let's be realistic...the iPad and iPhone and Touch share 90% of the features. Anything that is missing is simply due to lack of hardware (such as that the Touch and iPad cannot make phone calls).

You can't be talking about AppleTV. It's ok...I have it. There are ton of other devices on the market that a)do the same thing b)do more and c)were out much earlier than the ATV.

Yeah, it was iPad. It has taken away 90% of the uses my regular computer has, relegating it to only photo editing. Of course, it's not the same for everybody but it looks like a lot of people are using it, and it will only improve over the years.

If you were on Apple's board or in their research team, what would you be trying to do?

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Although I won't attack you for bashing apple. I will say your very uneducated in relation with Apple. To think they are out of ideas is just plain silly. The iOS has been a huge hit, the emergence of the ipad has been huge. Also TV will be huge. America is tv. Your just not using your imagination. Of course you think apple is out of ideas. That's why they are creating the products and software and we sit and wait. They aren't going to release the biggest game changer every year. Or they would be their own worst enemy eventually when they actually can't innovate at the same pace.. Silly thread

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe

Such a stupid thread, so unless Apple built rocket ships they're done for? What about all the other companies that just release new versions of the same products are they all done for too? Irrelevant of little things like market share and profit margins...

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Ok, so if they're out of ideas then what would you bring to the table?
I love all the talk and absolutely no action.

Ummm....did I say I had the ideas? It's not my job to run Apple as far as I checked.

This thread was to question what is APPLE DOING rather than what I may have for new product tips.

But here are a few ideas for Apple that I have had a few years now:

1)Where's the true living room experience? A real stereo receiver with loss-less quality and integration? All Apple has managed to do is let me plug my iXXX into my receiver's Stereo IN jack. Recently the Apple Air (or whatever it's called) has answered about 10% of the solution. Since Apple is very consumer electronics focused, why not be like Bose and have a nice lineup of home A/V products?

2)More personal computer desktop options. iMac is nice but it forces me to dump my nice LCD monitor and invest $1000+ in Apple. How about bringing back some more of the traditional desktops where I can buy the Apple box and use my wonderful monitor for years? The Mini is an answer, but it's about $900 once you add the keyboard, mouse, and any converters to work with your monitor...not to mention the deathly slow 5400RPM drive and obvious hardware limitations due to its size.

3)How about a gaming platform? Apple's been pitching games since the Touch arrived and there are no serious games. Why not have some $399 box like Xbox or PS3 or Wii or whatever else?

Again, I'm not here to give Apple all sorts of ideas. It's their business. But for all the naysayers of my original post, iOS is iOS. Apple can sell an iOS toaster and the naysayers would say it revolutionizes the world.

I'd really like to see what Apple is going to bring to market by late 2013.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Ummm....did I say I had the ideas? It's not my job to run Apple as far as I checked.

This thread was to question what is APPLE DOING rather than what I may have for new product tips.

1)Where's the true living room experience? A real stereo receiver with loss-less quality and integration? All Apple has managed to do is let me plug my iXXX into my receiver's Stereo IN jack. Recently the Apple Air (or whatever it's called) has answered about 10% of the solution. Since Apple is very consumer electronics focused, why not be like Bose and have a nice lineup of home A/V products?

You must not have been in the market for a AVR lately, because every receiver you can buy has either a dedicated dock/USB Port/Air Play/ iOS APP. I will stop buying Apple products if they try to be like Bose. Bose makes the most overpriced audio equipment on the market.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

2)More personal computer desktop options. iMac is nice but it forces me to dump my nice LCD monitor and invest $1000+ in Apple. How about bringing back some more of the traditional desktops where I can buy the Apple box and use my wonderful monitor for years? The Mini is an answer, but it's about $900 once you add the keyboard, mouse, and any converters to work with your monitor...not to mention the deathly slow 5400RPM drive and obvious hardware limitations due to its size.

3)How about a gaming platform? Apple's been pitching games since the Touch arrived and there are no serious games. Why not have some $399 box like Xbox or PS3 or Wii or whatever else?

Again, I'm not here to give Apple all sorts of ideas. It's their business. But for all the naysayers of my original post, iOS is iOS. Apple can sell an iOS toaster and the naysayers would say it revolutionizes the world.

I'd really like to see what Apple is going to bring to market by late 2013.

Of course, the whole premise of your post (aside from misrepresenting history) is that Apple is running out of ideas because you don't have any ideas of what they are going to do next. :D

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
And if you don't think the iPad changed the tablet industry when it was introduced you are just kidding yourself at this point.

I agree...and never said Apple did not revolutionize the tablet industry...

1)There really was no tablet industry in 2010

2)That was 2010. We're mid 2012 and well into the 3rd version of iPad. What do you think will be in the iPad 4 next spring? Let me guess...a newer iOS, some kind of Siri, faster CPU, maybe some more model choices.

And just like when the iPod revolutionized the handheld music device market, the iPad has revolutionized the tablet industry. That was years ago and version 1.0 while we're now on version 3.0. I'm not saying iPad will fail but while Apple is releasing versions 4,5, and 6 of the iPad over the next 2-3 years, what ELSE is Apple releasing or release in say, 2013 or 2014?

Many of the posts here say I don't believe XYZ was revolutionized or that Apple did a great job in the past. That's not what I'm saying. I'm questioning what Apple is GOING to release in the future that is NOT just another iOS handheld device.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010

The fact that you want Apple to be like Bose makes me realize you have no idea about anything audio related.

Not to mention I already can and do use my 2010 MBP's digital audio out all the time connected to my receiver.

#firstworldproblems

What sort of gaming platform are you looking for? A new MBP will run many games quite well. If you are going to do the "yeah but I can build a windows desktop for way cheaper and game" answer, well, I don't know what to tell you. Buy the console I guess.

I've never understood the "macs suck at gaming" thing. This was true years ago when no games existed for the mac OS. Not so much now.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
OP : I understand your questioning.

I dont think Apple wants to get into the audio receiver market. They will never be a Panasonic or Sony. This isn't what Apple does or ever did before.

Now if they get into the living room with a HDTV/Social Entertainment device wow !

But I think you should consider their lack of updates for most computers to be a sign of new things coming.

In other words I believe Apple is getting ready to burst at the seems with some new and revolutionary stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.