Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Here's hoping for a new mbp with retina display, the minue I see that is happening, my credit card leaves my wallet. Regarding the Mac Pro, I hope we see one new model before they discontinue it (if that is the case), my current one is a 3 year old model that while still gets the job done, I want to move home permanently and upgrade my workstation. The 11th can't come soon enough.

valleydesign

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
"At least 4".....

The Mac (mac pro). iMac. The MacBook (one congruent line air to pro). The Mini.

Now THAT would be impressive.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
exciting! i can't wait for a slimmer 13' MBP! (which i really hope will not be taken over by the 13 MBA) :(

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
I'd like to see all five updated. I can see it more as one or two talked about on stage and the rest refreshed on the site. Mac Pros are most likely going to be updated, there is a market for them and with Apple's thunderbolt, it's time to use that in the Pro, among system upgrades in general.

MadMitch89

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Given how big a deviation Windows 8 is from previous iterations, perhaps Apple is preparing an onslaught of new hardware with a new OS (10.8) - "if you have to change, why not change to a Mac". Might be a marketing/market share/sales ploy...

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Why is there a question mark at the end of the article title?

Of course most all will be updated. Duh....
The fact that most Macs will be eventually updated is not in question.

The question here is whether or not Apple will use the upcoming WWDC event (in a week) to make a change across multiple Mac families. It is already expected that Apple will refresh at least one of the Mac product lines.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
It would make more sense to release these tomorrow as they indicated in the D10 interview ("what's being released next week?"). There is no way that in an hour and a half, they could go over iOS 6 and Mountain Lion AND introduce new hardware.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
This is how it will go down hardware wise me thinks:

Updated 11 and 13 in ivy bridge mba with retina displays.
Updated 15 in ivy bridge mbp with retina display, thinner unibody enclosure.
13 in mbp is discontinued.
Updated ivy bridge imac without retina displays.
Updated ivy bridge mac mini.
No mac pro announcements.

Fixed that for ya. ;)
Otherwise a good prediction.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
A keynote is maybe 2 hours?

Since this is WWDC, the keynote will be software focused. iOS 6 demo, AppleTV API demo, various developers demoing their games on the AppleTV. That, in addition to the introduction/recap of how incredibly awesome iOS is doing, will easily take up 2 hours.

I have a feeling, barring any significant redesign, that the hardware will be updated via press release. Maybe a mention of retina displays across the board.

---------------------

Just a thought - If the AppleTV gets apps - would it include games? Perhaps one of these accessories is a wireless controller? Or maybe we use our iOS device as a controller. I guess it would depend on how seriously Apple would want to take this. Maybe a third-party controller?

I think Apple could very much compete with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in the game space - especially with their existing mobile game ecosystem. Cheaper games - all downloadable - no physical media. Could be interesting.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
It would make more sense to release these tomorrow as they indicated in the D10 interview ("what's being released next week?"). There is no way that in an hour and a half, they could go over iOS 6 and Mountain Lion AND introduce new hardware.

You know, that is true. I remember hearing that. Can you expand on this a little more? I'm really curious to see why tomorrow will make more sense. (I'm being serious, not sarcastic)

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Forgot to mention- there have been keynotes that have lasted 2 hours (WWDC 09) where they announced an updated MBP (15"), Snow Leopard, iOS 3.0, and iPhone 3GS. It is possible.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The more likely scenario would be a keynote address focusing on iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

The new hardware would be given a few minutes, or possibly relegated to a press release. Apple periodically releases new Macs without a live presentation from senior management.

After all, WWDC is a developer event, it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the new features of the operating systems.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I'm torn, I want it to be the Mac Pro but I just got a new Mac Pro Around Christmas. Which will tick me off cause I want a thunderbolt!

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Here's hoping FINALLY for the Powerbook G5!

powerbookg5.jpg

Never gets old!...well...

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
The more likely scenario would be a keynote address focusing on iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

The new hardware would be given a few minutes, or possibly relegated to a press release. Apple periodically releases new Macs without a live presentation from senior management.

After all, WWDC is a developer event, it would make more sense for Apple to focus on the new features of the operating systems.

But all-new designs for the pro. I'm sure there will give it at least five or 10 minutes. Not a big deal, but some time.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Forgot to mention- there have been keynotes that have lasted 2 hours (WWDC 09) where they announced an updated MBP (15"), Snow Leopard, iOS 3.0, and iPhone 3GS. It is possible.

Good point. But that was 2009.

We can eliminate the iPhone and iPad, since they are on different product cycles.

They've already announced and demoed Mountain Lion. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a more specific release date.

I really think that moving the iPhone refresh to September was an attempt to put the focus on software and developers at WWDC.

If the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are significant tech advances, they might warrant a mention. But I don't think a form factor change and a retina display are enough to dwell on.

valleydesign

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
My prediction. ML and IOS6 take up the entire time slot. Cook comes out to sign off and just when you think we aren't getting anything, he drops the entire new mac lineup behind him and walks off the stage without saying anything.

I can dream right??

Honestly though, Apple hardware doesn't need an event or even an explanation. Redesign or not. Might as well just walk off stage with an entirely new lineup behind you and the words "Get Mountain Lion Today" slapped on top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.