Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Not sure why everyone is so upset. This would be a solid machine. This is why you shouldn't get too attached to rumors. Sets unrealistic expectations and leads to disappointment with perfectly good updates.

13" Pro users have wanted the Air's screen for 2 years now.

VSLRA

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Czech republic, Czech Budweis
My opinion on why this is a fake and reason to create a fake label is:

When everyone expects a high parameters and they doesn't show up. Stock go down.... Then you can buy cheap stock and after WWDC you will earn a lot of money.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
WTF is "Turbo Boost?"

I remember in the Pentium 1-2 days you could push a giant button on the front of your PC called "turbo" and change the clock speed from 100 to 133MHz.

Is Apple really using some old PC term from the 90's?

Steve would be pissed.

Wow. Try reading about current CPU tech on intel's web pages to educate yourself.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
Look at the past to be your guide.

I have never been blown away by a Apple update to an existing product line. They tend to move very slow in incorporating change. To hear of all the rumored changes supposedly occurring in one instant makes me step back and look at the past updates. I believe Apple is working on these updates, but not for just one massive unavailing.

I tend to think Apple works on updates to their product line behind locked doors that will not see the light of day for years (if at all). Some of these get leaked when a product comes close to updating since the press and blogs are looking for anything sensational to reveal, but they may not be targeted for the closest update. Their timeline may be for the update a year away.

Think about it. If you were to fake the specs to garner attention. Why would you fake mediocre specs? It is way more logical that these are the real specs. Look at past updates. Let them be your guide to the changes Apple makes to it's product line.
I guess people get blown away by different things. Cyclones, for example. But I was blown away by the first line of Intel Macbook Pros, and then similarly winded by the unibody Macbooks (the design anyway). The iMac has been called the iMac for quite some time, and I was in consumer lust when I first saw the current iteration (design) 27" in store.

I agree with your point, just not how you got there.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It could be that only computers with discrete graphics getting higher resolutions and the ones using IGB (HD4000) were deemed to not be powerful enough?

That too. Though I think the integrated Intel graphics are pretty decent now, they still may want to hold the Retina displays for the ones with dedicated graphics cards.

Makes sense.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I believe this to be real, and honestly- no big deal.

This really says nothing actually; other than they are filling the niche of the consumer market by adding the 13" base model to the MacBook they killed last year.

usb 3 is a nice addition-

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
£1000 for 1280x800, a dual-core i5 and a 500Gig 5400 HD.

oh dear..

No prizes for guessing that Apple wants us to use BTO.

Last edited:

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I haven't gone through all the pages of comments, so this has likely been brought up, but this screenshot proves nothing. If real, it's for the base model. In addition to the retina display, there's no mention of a 7200 rpm hard drive or SSD, 8 GB RAM option, or an i7. This wouldn't be the first time Apple's offered an optional upgraded screen. It's not time to panic yet.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Those specs seem about right for the education-market model. Probably priced at $999 ($200 cheaper than the current low-end MBP).

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I haven't gone through all the pages of comments, so this has likely been brought up, but this screenshot proves nothing. If real, it's for the base model. In addition to the retina display, there's no mention of a 7200 rpm hard drive or SSD, 8 GB RAM option, or an i7. This wouldn't be the first time Apple's offered an optional upgraded screen. It's not time to panic yet.

It proves no redesign and only a speed bump.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I believe this to be real, and honestly- no big deal.

This really says nothing actually; other than they are filling the niche of the consumer market by adding the 13" base model to the MacBook they killed last year.

usb 3 is a nice addition-

There have been rumours floating around about Apple wanting to introduce a $799 laptop to compete on price with other makers. It make sense for this to be that machine for students etc.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Not sure why everyone is so upset. This would be a solid machine. This is why you shouldn't get too attached to rumors. Sets unrealistic expectations and leads to disappointment with perfectly good updates.

IMHO it's because not only does this not meet the rumored expectations, but this still puts the 13" MBP slightly behind the high end MBA in terms of speed, weight, size, and screen quality. It's using the same resolution that was introduced in 2004 (maybe 2006) in the original plastic MB.

MacMiller12

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
No, it's not at all strange. USB 3 is backwards compatible so all USB 2 devices will work. What do you find strange about this?

Right, but Apple would have to change the wire that they provide with every iPod, iPad, and iPhone. Having adapters for a standard things like a 30-pin wire is very un-Apple like. I would at least expect them to keep one USB 2.0 port.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Sadly this looks very real to me. I can tell from some of the pixels...

I can see the 13 incher staying pretty basic to keep its cost down for folks who dont need to spend big$ on the 15 or 17... the 13 inch i5 is already a great machine as is and users who need massive power would generally want the bigger 15 or 17 sizes any way

The resale value on mac book pros is very very high even on crappy old cor2duos

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Right, but Apple would have to change the wire that they provide with every iPod, iPad, and iPhone. Having adapters for a standard things like a 30-pin wire is very un-Apple like. I would at least expect them to keep one USB 2.0 port.

My GF's iPhone cord works just fine in USB 3.0 already. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.