Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

virgina_mobile_usa_logo-150x112.jpg

MarketWatch reports that Sprint will announce later this week that it will begin offering the iPhone on a prepaid basis through its Virgin Mobile brand. The announcement will come just days after Leap Wireless announced that it would begin offering the iPhone on a prepaid basis through its Cricket brand beginning June 22.
The Overland Park, Kan., carrier will announce this week it will offer the popular smartphone on its Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go brand starting as soon as July 1, according to people familiar with the company's plans. Sprint follows Leap Wireless International Inc. in selling the device with prepaid service.

By offering the iPhone, Sprint may help satisfy its commitment to Apple to buy $15.5 billion of the phones over four years, an aggressive bet as more carriers are getting access to the once-exclusive device. Sprint's prepaid service, which also includes the Boost Mobile brand, has been its lone area of growth as contract customers have fled.
Virgin Mobile's pricing for the iPhone remains unknown, and it is also unclear whether Sprint's Boost Mobile brand will also gain access to the device. Boost had been rumored last week to be adding the iPhone in September.

Virgin Mobile's existing smartphone plans begin at $35 per month with unlimited data (throttled after 2.5 GB), although the report notes that it is unknown whether the iPhone would be eligible for the carrier's cheapest plans.

Article Link: Sprint to Launch iPhone Through Prepaid Brand Virgin Mobile in Coming Weeks

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wonder if they'll get the iPhone 5....anyway this is good for everyone. More PayGo options we get, the cheaper these other plans will come down.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
$35 / month sounds really sweet.
I'm guessing we're going to have to buy the phone up front though so not sure if I'll jump. If they're going to be almost the same price in the long run, I'd rather have AT&T.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
With the iPhone coming to all these pre-paid and regional carriers, I wonder if this is Apple's response to Android and its dominant market share...? :confused: Just theorizing.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
$35 / month sounds really sweet.
I'm guessing we're going to have to buy the phone up front though so not sure if I'll jump.

What is bad about buying the phone up front when you save a ton over two years compared to everyone other plans.

I'd love a $35 option but I guess is it will be around $40 or $50 for the plan. In reality, that is all I need if even that. Im near Wifi 90% of the time and barely even talk via voice anymore since most conversations for hooking up with people and meeting them come via either email, or chat/texting.

----------

With the iPhone coming to all these pre-paid and regional carriers, I wonder if this is Apple's response to Android and its dominant market share...? :confused: Just theorizing.

It should be. The iPhone should be on every carrier. It should be up to the buyer to choose his plan/carrier. The majority of carriers are r-ping everyone.

On average you are looking at $2K over 2 years with Sprint/AT&T/Verizon. If you have the unlimited plan its almost $3.2K. That's fricking ABSURD.

I want a paygo option. I shouldn't have to pay for more if I don't use, need it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm not with VM for my iPhone service, but have been tempted a couple of times. I do have the BB service, and apart from really lousy (and i Mean lousy) customer service, the speeds are constant and as advertised. I've been with O2 for my phones for years now, and maybe it's time to take another look at VM, trouble is, like all service providers they HATE folks who buy their own phones.

I'm contract free, buy all my phones, and can walk when I like....This they hate. But might take a look at VM...I'm thinking about changing my landline over too....Only kept it when my Mother was still with us...It was about the only thing she could remember in the end. The entire package from VM, minus the TV stuff which I don't want, seems good...Be interested to see what others here think.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA

I absolutely think it is. These carriers get a solid phone on a great OS. If people do have the option, i think about 3/5ths of people looking to buy a phone if they had the choice between an iPhone or Android would choose iOS. I think this is great news, more voices, more opinions, more users, more control. Good move apple! :D

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm glad the iPhone is expanding to the prepaid realm in the US.

Agreed..it's already like this in Europe and other countries.

Can't wait if it's true. Can finally spend upfront on a nice phone and then have a bill that makes sense for my usage.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Wonder if they'll get the iPhone 5....anyway this is good for everyone. More PayGo options we get, the cheaper these other plans will come down.

It makes sense that the next generation iPhone will be launched with many more providers given that the fifth generation Qualcomm Gobi radio chipset will support nearly every Cellular technology including Voice over LTE (VoIP like; packet switched Voice).

The fifth generation chip supports TD-SCDMA, TD-LTE, LTE on FDD and TDD networks worldwide and embedded GPS capability, plus HSPA+ and EV-DO, this covers even China Mobile's different cellular technologies (TD-SCDMA) and they have 655 million subscribers now, well above all the subscribers for every carrier in the US combined.

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Do Americans need everything done for them by the carriers?

You get a PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-Card.

You buy an iPhone

You put the PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-card in the iPhone.

It just works.

Xcelerate

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Virgin Mobile is great. I'm on them right now with an LG Optimus V at (grandfathered) $25 per month for unlimited data, unlimited text, and 300 minutes. And since mine was the first edition of the Optimus, I have free unrooted tethering as well (they disabled this really quickly in the next batch of Optimus's).

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Do Americans need everything done for them by the carriers?

You get a PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-Card.

You buy an iPhone

You put the PAYG Virgin Mobile SIM-card in the iPhone.

It just works.

And you also pay full price for the phone. This won't be full price but $150 cheaper.

You can do that on TMobile right now because its GSM and uses a SIM Card. The issue is you are on the Edge network and don't get 3G speeds even.

Also isnt Virgin Mobile USA on a CDMA network, similar to Verizon and Sprint? The unlocked iPhone 4S can only be used on other GSM networks like T-Mobile.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
This is both thoroughly exciting and thoroughly depressing to me. I'm with Virgin now on a grandfathered $25/mo plan with an LG Optimus V and while I love what I get for the price I pay, I was really wanting to move to a bigger carrier that allows roaming like Verizon or Sprint. One of my justifications for paying more for a bigger carrier was the ability to get an iPhone. All my defenses are broken down.

The only thing is going to be when Sprint launches LTE. Their current 4G is just WiMax, so even if they launched the iPhone 5, we'd be on 3G speeds. The good news is that since they are a CDMA carrier, they at least have to offer the iPhone 4. :)

Therbo

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2011
United Kingdom
And you also pay full price for the phone. This won't be full price but $150 cheaper.

You can do that on TMobile right now because its GSM and uses a SIM Card. The issue is you are on the Edge network and don't get 3G speeds even.

Also isnt Virgin Mobile USA on a CDMA network, similar to Verizon and Sprint? The unlocked iPhone 4S can only be used on other GSM networks like T-Mobile.

I've used T-Mobile on the iPhone, 3G worked fine.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I absolutely think it is. These carriers get a solid phone on a great OS. If people do have the option, i think about 3/5ths of people looking to buy a phone if they had the choice between an iPhone or Android would choose iOS. I think this is great news, more voices, more opinions, more users, more control. Good move apple! :D

Not when they see the price. I doubt many people are gonna wanna shell out 500+ dollars on a phone in the US. Especially now that the nexus is only 399.99 without a contract.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

So do you live in those select tiny areas where it's available? Because you can't get 3G on Tmobile on an iPhone unless it's in those few areas where T-Mobile has changed spectrum.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
T-Mobile UK and T-Mobile US are two different networks.

T-Mobile UK uses the same network frequencies as all of the other UK mobile operators.

T-Mobile USA does not run on the same frequencies as the other GSM-based North American mobile operators like AT&T. For 3G data service, T-Mobile USA uses the AWS band which is not supported on the current nor previous iPhone models.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Oh wow. I left Virgin Mobile and switched to AT&T to get the iPhone back in 2009. Now Virgin Mobile is getting the iPhone. I wonder if I should switch back ...

They were crazy cheap, and didn't charge me for services I didn't use or want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.