Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You guys should check out the EscapeCapsule from Catalyst Lifestyle (http://www.catalystlifestyle.com/). Their case looks way better and is fully waterproof to 2 meters.
But it has no built in battery, which is the obvious draw of cases like this. I use a juicepack air. It's saved me running out of batteries so many times its ridiculous. I use the internet or game a lot away from home - it's been totally worth it despite the added bulk.

BigSaintDogs

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Rhode Island, USA
Should be WATERPROOF for the size

With the size of this case offering "Water Resistant" is missing the mark. Life proof offers a case a fraction of the Otter Box cases that is 100% Water Proof. It is quite feasible to make a case like this actually offer more protection to be a true auxiliary power/phone protection case.

I guess we will need to wait for Lifeproof to slip a battery into they're cases.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
What exactly do they mean by "staying off the grid all weekend"?

Their marketing geniuses should probably reconsider if they think being on your internet-connected phone constitutes being off the grid.

OH, you don't have to plug it in. Got it. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they mean being off the power grid.

This would come in pretty handy when I'm in the back country. Battery life is an issue when using the gps.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011

Their marketing geniuses should probably reconsider if they think being on your internet-connected phone constitutes being off the grid.

Grid noun - a system of electrical distribution serving a large area, especially by means of high-tension lines.

Is English your first language?

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Why would we buy the latest and greatest iPhone to look hip and cool and then slap this monstrosity of a case on it? It's truly hideous and damaging to the Apple brand.

The point isn't to have it look good. This, like the otterbox, and that waterproof case are meant to provide a very high level of protection and the only way to do that is to sacrifice the looks.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012

Grid is short for power grid, obviously.

Smaugg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2007
Why would we buy the latest and greatest iPhone to look hip and cool and then slap this monstrosity of a case on it? It's truly hideous and damaging to the Apple brand.

Because some people don't buy their phones as fashion accessory; they use them to communicate, get information on the road, track their sports activities, or for directions while hiking, cycling, etc. Some of these uses can consume the built in battery very quickly.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I have the juice pack plus and LOVE it. Couldn't live without it. I was excited when mophie sent me the email this morning but it's only 50% more power and 150% uglier then I would ever put on my phone. Plus the 6th gen is coming out soon so no point in buying a new case now.

Why would it be pointless to buy a new case now? I mean, is the 4(s) in your pocket going to magically transform to iPhone 5, making your old case useless?

Besides, iPhone 5 will be introduced in around october, months away.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Why would it be pointless to buy a new case now? I mean, is the 4(s) in your pocket going to magically transform to iPhone 5, making your old case useless?

Besides, iPhone 5 will be introduced in around october, months away.

I should of clarified. I'll be getting the new iPhone whenever it comes out.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Good Luck putting the phone on "silent"... that is all.

edit: nevermind...

Last edited:

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
For that price why not just buy AppleCare for the iPhone? Then you can have peace of mind without hauling around a brick.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
For that price why not just buy AppleCare for the iPhone? Then you can have peace of mind without hauling around a brick.

Because AppleCare won't do crap if you are in need of your phone while outside who-knows-where. It's not a matter of replacing the phone for the cheapest amount, it's a matter of protecting the phone so you can use it when you need it.

I agree it's ugly, and I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not an avid outdoorsman, and I can clearly see why it would be a necessity for some people.

s4ndm4n

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
South Chi-Town
Real excited about this one......

While many don't like the aesthetics of the case, I like it. I don't mind the bigger cases as I'm in the trades and you need a good case that can take a beating. Also, being in certain plants or factories, like the steel mills for instance, you need great battery life and a solid case. I understand that this case isn't for everyone, but will definitely appeal to contractors, outdoorsman and those who are just generally brutal to their iPhones and want to have the added bonus of a 2500mAh battery along with it. I have one of the Mophie Juice Pack cases and it's got a 1500mAh battery in it and I have enjoyed having it for backup. I ordered this case and am expecting it to be waiting for me when I get to work on Monday.

Being water resistant as dust, element resistant, etc. is good and I do understand the difference between this and an actual waterproof case. Lifeproof's case actually has o-rings and seals on it to actually allow you to submerge the case (which I have), whereas this big boy has covered ports to prevent a water splash or drips getting in the ports, but would fail miserably at being submerged with pressure. I like the bigger cases as I feel like my baby is safe while I'm welding, grinding or whatever at work.

I am actually starting a new channel on YouTube, under the name MillwrightTech and I'll be putting up a video review of this case when I get it at the beginning of the week, so feel free to check it out.

I've tried the Otterbox Defender, Ballistic HC, Griffin Survivor and Lifeproof cases, with the Lifeproof case being the only one of the bunch to be waterproof. I'm stoked to give this one a go.

DocStone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
You are probably not in the target market for this case anyway, especially if your number one concern is appearance.

You do not know if I am the target or not. Furthermore Mr. Happy Pants, you don't know my number one concerns and assuming it is appearance just shows how small you are trying to be with such an asinine comment.

Appearance is not my number one concern. That case is ugly and IMO many others do a better job at not making my phone look like it was used by Zach Morris. Many companies, like Apple, have proven that you can design stylish and nice cases AND have great functionality too. This has good functionality and does what I need, but the design sucks. I will look for something else.

Be good.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
You do not know if I am the target or not. Furthermore Mr. Happy Pants, you don't know my number one concerns and assuming it is appearance just shows how small you are trying to be with such an asinine comment.

Appearance is not my number one concern. That case is ugly and IMO many others do a better job at not making my phone look like it was used by Zach Morris. Many companies, like Apple, have proven that you can design stylish and nice cases AND have great functionality too. This has good functionality and does what I need, but the design sucks. I will look for something else.

Be good.

I don't find it ugly at all. The rugged look may not be what you like, but it may be what others do like.

I didn't assume ANYTHING. You STATED that you won't be buying it because it is UGLY.

So you're being asinine, not me. Understood!?

DocStone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
I don't find it ugly at all. The rugged look may not be what you like, but it may be what others do like.

I didn't assume ANYTHING. You STATED that you won't be buying it because it is UGLY.

So you're being asinine, not me. Understood!?

Exactly, it's something I don't like and I shared an opinion. No need to go and quote me and say I am not the target. I can share here and if you don't agree, then post your own ideas instead of trying to shoot someone else down.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Exactly, it's something I don't like and I shared an opinion. No need to go and quote me and say I am not the target. I can share here and if you don't agree, then post your own ideas instead of trying to shoot someone else down.

Point taken. Peace my friend.

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
Mine will be here tomorrow. I found a $20 off promo code online and am taking a trip to Chicago at the end of the month.

Being in a city where I'm relying on my phone for everything and not having access to a car to charge it in, I felt this might fit the bill for the weekend trip.

Rugged if I drop it walking around in an unfamiliar place, good battery life to get me through the day and night and water resistant if I get caught in a shower, etc.

I'll let y'all know how it works out. Not crazy about the size, but love the Mad Max look. :)

cowscrtacher

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I don't like the size, but the charger is cool

The size of the case is way too rugged and large for me, however, I do like the battery charger and find it to be useful as the battery life for my iphone is rather poor. I read an article on http://www.gnomeescape.com describing how there are other battery enhancing alternatives

Last edited:

JoeSixPack

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2008
This looks like a War gadget:eek:

Make sure ur advert puts it focus on soldiers, mountain climbers, red cross etc
cos thats not gonna look good in a suit or a board meeting

I always wondered where the engineers went when GM's Hummer division closed.

Sena for the boardroom but maybe keep one of these in the box in the garage marked "In case of Zombie Apocalypse."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.