Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forensickle

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
The price increases in Australia suggest these will be MASSIVE upgrades for consumers looking for the best laptops in the industry. Once again Apple will lead the way in delivering a product that is true revolutionary.

the previously posted approx $100 increase to the macbook pro price due to a retina display i figure accounts for most of the $400 increase.
100 more for the US release chould be $250 more for the australian

yay american mac buying holiday!

keramidas

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Unfortunately those laptops are long gone. You will struggle to find a laptop with 1920x1200 16:10 resolution these days. There was a dip for a while and many laptops have been coming out with 1366x768, even 15" ones. It seems that higher resolution is back in vogue on the PC side again and there are more higher resolution displays available, but they are only 1920x1080 (16:9). Great for watching movies, but not as great as 16:10 for working.

The gain in vertical real estate is very important for productivity.

That Latitude was great for productivity reasons. Besides the resolution it was the first to sport a Pentium-M, the first Intel CPU designed for mobile. Before they offered a Pentium 4-M, that was just a desktop version roughly transferred to mobile.

All in all, that resolution was great. Only a TN panel, but still it was more than 9 years ago!!!

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Is it atypical for a price increase of this nature across the board? If this is real, it seems excessive doesn't it? I have been following Apple for a long while and i don't recall anything like this. At least in recent history. My curiosity is through the roof.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I'm crazy, but could the new SuperDrive be Blu-ray capable? :eek:

Apple hasn't supported Blu-ray all this time and is increasing the quality of their online offerings with higher level video AND more free redownloads etc. Highly unlikely they will suddenly turn around and put a blu-ray drive in their machines.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
the MBP price increased by $400 of the current mbp price in australia so i'm guessing the "pro" line will be "pro" again meaning it'll be the first do adopt the retina display. could explain such a major price increase of the mbp line

Well, has anyone even considered that those leaked laptops are a 15 Air and not a Pro at all?

The price would fit a 15 Air, not a Pro. If it is a Pro, which I am thinking it is, if it has a SSD those prices are not out of line, as the 13 Air top spec is $1700 US.

It may be for a 15 Air is a possibility.

keramidas

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
all that matters is that it seems that a lot of problem will probably have to find an extra ~10% in the money they had in mind for buying a new mac.

great for the upgrades, bad for the wallet.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What are you even talking about?! Jesus man.

you dont get it :rolleyes: current macbook pro 15 retails for AU $2.099 IN AUSTRALIA and the NEW macbook pro 15 supposedly starts at AU $2.499 IN AUSTRALIA so thats a $400 increase. this has nothing to do with currency rates

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Is it atypical for a price increase of this nature across the board? If this is real, it seems excessive doesn't it? I have been following Apple for a long while and i don't recall anything like this. At least in recent history. My curiosity is through the roof.

I thought, the jump in price was due to Australian currency conversion and their taxes.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
you dont get it :rolleyes: current macbook pro 15 retails for AU $2.099 IN AUSTRALIA and the NEW macbook pro 15 supposedely starts at AU $2.499 so thats a $400 increase. this has nothing to do with currency rates

Current high-end 15" retails for 2499 in Australia. They are likely just dropping the low-end 15" model.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The price increases in Australia suggest these will be MASSIVE upgrades for consumers looking for the best laptops in the industry. Once again Apple will lead the way in delivering a product that is true revolutionary.

Sadly, Apple's pricing schemes get silly outside of the US.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
the MBP price increased by $400 of the current mbp price in australia so i'm guessing the "pro" line will be "pro" again meaning it'll be the first do adopt the retina display. could explain such a major price increase of the mbp line

You mean pro price lol:p

Antares

macrumors 68000
God it must be good to know so many people are eager to just fill Apple's coffins...

No disrespect or bad intentions. It's just that you've got to applaud Apple's strategy this past decade. It made quite a few people just "wanting" to buy.

Last decade? I've been "just wanting to buy" Apple products since 1989. So, any strategy they do works on me.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I hope one of those is a Bluetooth keyboard with a number pad. Removing it was one of the dumbest things they've done IMO.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Backup files?
If the TC is connected via a cable and used for backup purposes mainly, you might as well just use a simple external HDD for that. If you need the NAS part (ie, want other computers to access it as well), you need to connect it via a networking protocol (WiFi, Ethernet). TB is not a networking protocol, though you can tunnel a networking protocol like Gbit-Ethernet or 10 Gbit-Ethernet or Fibre Channel over it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I haven't been excited about upcoming Apple products in such a long time. It's been so depressing to get nothing but iOS news, and now suddenly we have new Mac stuff coming! Woo!

I have a feeling I'll have a lighter wallet in the next weeks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.