Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
How do you restore from an iCloud backup after jailbreak?

So, I restored to stock iOS 5.1.1 thru iTunes.
Tried to run Absinthe but said I needed to "register" the iPad first. So I went thru the original setup but chose to setup as a new iPad.
Ran Absinthe and let it do its thing. Jailbreak successful.

Now, how do I chose to restore the iCloud backup? I know how to do it from iTunes with local backup on my computer.

Thanks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No can do. If you read the instructions for Absinthe, it says to make a local backup first. This is why. You now have to restore your iPad, restore from iCloud backup, make a local backup, then restore again, redo the jailbreak, and finally, restore from local backup. :(

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
That sucks. I'm not going to bother. I actually did do a local backup in iTunes but I didn't sync any of my apps. The strange part is after jailbreaking I did a restore with my local backup but as I hadn't synced my apps thru iTunes only the stock apps got restored with all my data.

The interesting part is when I went to reinstall my apps from the App Store all my data was already there, including 2gb of my PDFs in GoodReader! I don't quite get it.

I'm actually asking as I'm thinking to jailbreak my wife's iPhone and want to do it properly. She wouldn't be too pleased with me if she lost some important data.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, app data is part of your backup, so they were copied to your iPad during the restore process, but the apps themselves have to be synced from a computer or redownloaded from the app store. Once you did that, voil, the data was there!

But yeah, when jailbreaking your wife's iPhone, first, make a local backup and transfer her apps to the computer. In case you haven't done this before, first, make sure to authorize the computer with your (wife's) iTunes account. Then right click on the iPad icon in iTunes and select transfer purchases. Then, when you restore from the backup, the apps will copy back over along with their data. Much simpler, faster, and less chance of data being lost.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
It is possible to restore from backup after you jailbreak. I was able to do it myself.

After jailbreaking, make sure you are not signed into iCloud and then reset your iPad (reset all settings). You will then be greeted with the setup again after the reset finishes. Log onto your iCloud, restore from backup, and you're good to go.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It is possible to restore from backup after you jailbreak. I was able to do it myself.

After jailbreaking, make sure you are not signed into iCloud and then reset your iPad (reset all settings). You will then be greeted with the setup again after the reset finishes. Log onto your iCloud, restore from backup, and you're good to go.

And you are still jailbroken after that?

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Well, app data is part of your backup, so they were copied to your iPad during the restore process, but the apps themselves have to be synced from a computer or redownloaded from the app store. Once you did that, voil, the data was there!

But yeah, when jailbreaking your wife's iPhone, first, make a local backup and transfer her apps to the computer. In case you haven't done this before, first, make sure to authorize the computer with your (wife's) iTunes account. Then right click on the iPad icon in iTunes and select transfer purchases. Then, when you restore from the backup, the apps will copy back over along with their data. Much simpler, faster, and less chance of data being lost.

Thanks I'll give it a go.

But if my app data was copied over to my iPad, does that mean if I never install those apps, the data stays on my iPad forever (taking up space)? And in my backup forever?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks I'll give it a go.

But if my app data was copied over to my iPad, does that mean if I never install those apps, the data stays on my iPad forever (taking up space)? And in my backup forever?

I've always assumed that they get overwritten after a while, but I'm not sure how to check if this is true. I know once you make a new backup without the apps you didn't reinstall, then that backup no longer contains data from non-installed apps.

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
No, do not do contents. Just RESET SETTINGS only.

+1. This will make your device go into an infinite loop and you'll have to do a complete restore.

But I didn't know RESET SETTINGS would get you back to the setup screens! Thanks vega07 for this info. I won't need to worry about a local backup then.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
yup just reset settings. That is what I did and got all my stuff back up and running fine :] takes a while though

chako

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
yup just reset settings. That is what I did and got all my stuff back up and running fine :] takes a while though

I just tried this on an iphone 4S but was not given the opportunity to restore from icloud during setup this time. I was offered the chance to login to icloud and setup the phone as a new device but that was it.

I got it to work by doing the following:
  • Backup to iCloud (and to PC if you have the time...i'm impatient)
  • Restore using iTunes to 5.1.1
  • During setup, restore the phone back to that iCloud backup you just created
  • When the phone reboots, cancel any login prompts, etc. and go right to the Settings to put the phone in airplane mode. This keeps all the apps you had from loading. They may appear in that shaded mode that you see before they install, but no data can load while in airplane mode.
  • Jailbreak your device at this time.
  • Once you have the jailbreak ready to go, let those apps install (Exit airplane mode)
  • Enjoy!

----------

I just tried this on an iphone 4S but was not given the opportunity to restore from icloud during setup this time. I was offered the chance to login to icloud and setup the phone as a new device but that was it.

I got it to work by doing the following:
  • Backup to iCloud (and to PC if you have the time...i'm impatient)
  • Restore using iTunes to 5.1.1
  • During setup, restore the phone back to that iCloud backup you just created
  • When the phone reboots, cancel any login prompts, etc. and go right to the Settings to put the phone in airplane mode. This keeps all the apps you had from loading. They may appear in that shaded mode that you see before they install, but no data can load while in airplane mode.
  • Jailbreak your device at this time.
  • Once you have the jailbreak ready to go, let those apps install (Exit airplane mode)
  • Enjoy!

OK, because my method above works but sucks, I tried the first method once more. Turns out that if you just through the wifi connection portion too fast and it doesn't have a chance to connect before you hit 'next', you don't get the restore from iCloud option. Make sure you give it some time and this works great. Thanks!

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, so I tried this on my wife's iPad and it didn't work. This is what I did:

1. Backed up to iCloud.
2. Restored to stock 5.1.1 thru iTunes.
3. Went through the setup screens but setup as a new iPad.
4. Ran Absinthe 2.0.4.
5. Did a RESET ALL SETTINGS on iPhone.
6. Went through the setup screens but this time chose iCloud backup to restore from (This took a very very long time!!!)
7. Launched Cydia and it did it's thing with the filesystem and automatically did a respring.
8. All my apps (including Cydia - and I assume my jailbreak) except the stock ones were removed and strangely left only Safari in the dock.

What did I do wrong? Should I have ran Cydia first before restoring backup from iCloud?

Ended up just restoring back without jailbreak so my wife could have her phone back for the day. Thinking to try again tonight, but any idea what might have gone wrong?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok, so I tried this on my wife's iPad and it didn't work. This is what I did:

1. Backed up to iCloud.
2. Restored to stock 5.1.1 thru iTunes.
3. Went through the setup screens but setup as a new iPad.
4. Ran Absinthe 2.0.4.
5. Did a RESET ALL SETTINGS on iPhone.
6. Went through the setup screens but this time chose iCloud backup to restore from (This took a very very long time!!!)
7. Launched Cydia and it did it's thing with the filesystem and automatically did a respring.
8. All my apps (including Cydia - and I assume my jailbreak) except the stock ones were removed and strangely left only Safari in the dock.

What did I do wrong? Should I have ran Cydia first before restoring backup from iCloud?

Ended up just restoring back without jailbreak so my wife could have her phone back for the day. Thinking to try again tonight, but any idea what might have gone wrong?

While I'd be interested to know what happens if you run Cydia first before doing the RESET ALL SETTINGS, the quickest way to end up with a working jailbreak would be to backup to your computer and restore from that backup, rather than involving iCloud. As you found out, restoring from iCloud takes a lot longer than restoring from a backup on your computer. Was there some reason you didn't want to backup your wife's iPhone to your computer?

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
While I'd be interested to know what happens if you run Cydia first before doing the RESET ALL SETTINGS, the quickest way to end up with a working jailbreak would be to backup to your computer and restore from that backup, rather than involving iCloud. As you found out, restoring from iCloud takes a lot longer than restoring from a backup on your computer. Was there some reason you didn't want to backup your wife's iPhone to your computer?

Yah, looks like I'll have to create a local backup using iTunes. I wanted to avoid this cuz seems I also need to sync her apps and arrange them in the proper order with folders and all. Silly that iTunes doesn't just take the current setup from the iPhone but makes the user manually do this.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yah, looks like I'll have to create a local backup using iTunes. I wanted to avoid this cuz seems I also need to sync her apps and arrange them in the proper order with folders and all. Silly that iTunes doesn't just take the current setup from the iPhone but makes the user manually do this.

What do you mean? Yes, when you create a backup, you should transfer her apps to your computer (right-click iphone icon in itunes, transfer purchases), but as far as I know, that shouldn't do anything to the arrangement of the apps on her iPhone. App order and folder arrangement are backed up, so when you restore, everything should go back where they were. Oh, and make sure "automatically sync new apps" are unchecked for both your iPad and her iPhone, so you don't end up with each other's apps. Oh, and if your wife has her own iTunes account, make sure to authorize your computer with her account first, before trying to sync and backup her iPhone.

number84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
What do you mean? Yes, when you create a backup, you should transfer her apps to your computer (right-click iphone icon in itunes, transfer purchases), but as far as I know, that shouldn't do anything to the arrangement of the apps on her iPhone. App order and folder arrangement are backed up, so when you restore, everything should go back where they were. Oh, and make sure "automatically sync new apps" are unchecked for both your iPad and her iPhone, so you don't end up with each other's apps. Oh, and if your wife has her own iTunes account, make sure to authorize your computer with her account first, before trying to sync and backup her iPhone.

Yup, you're right. The sync went ok and the apps were arranged properly. Not sure why previous every time I checked 'Sync apps' it would re-arrange everything. But all's good now. And successfully jailbroken now. :) Thanks for the help.

Btw, I ran Cydia before doing the restore this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.