Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IKBest

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
San Francisco
I'm a freelance Film Editor and I'm looking for a RAID configuration that would be best for a Macbook Pro setup. I've been looking at the G-RAID setups but I'm looking for more options. Recommendations? :confused:

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
At the adobe road show today Gteach and Drobo were out...Drobo is having a thunderbolt model coming out probably next week that looked promising

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
Time Capsule w/ no optical drive

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT RAID 1 OR 0????????????
Use a time capsule for RAID one. (of sorts)
The automation is magical

For both raid 1 and raid 0, you can take out your optical drive, replace it with a hard drive caddy and place another hard drive in your macbook pro.

Babybandit

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I love Drobos. The only issue I have with them is their proprietary nature. But they do an amazing job. Given that they are teasing a new Thunderbolt version, I would wait and see what they have to offer in the near future. And in reality, what other vendors have in terms of Thunderbolt. Give them a look!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I believe it's a 2010 MacBook pro, pre thunderbolt
Is it a 15" or 17"? If it's the 15" w/o the ExpressCard slot you are limited to FW800 speeds which will be the bottle neck of your RAID. If it's the 17" you can buy an eSATA card which gives you more options and, more importantly, more speed.

Lethal

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
G-Tech eS Pro

Not cheap especially when you add the SAS card but man its fast :)
Oops did not read the Mac Book Pro part :(

eSATA all the way with any G-Tech RAID2 or miniRAID2 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.