Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I am just gonna put it out there... I bet the front will not be as raised as the renderings show. Right now the 4/4S have the glass slightly extended outwards. I can't see them only having that on one side as depicted by the renderings.

They'll use the thinner glass, while using the elongated form factor, my best guess. If so, It'll look pretty slick.

The back design... Will probably grow on me (and the rest of us) if it's the legit final design.

Whatever they have to offer, the masses will love it. Look at last year... Ridiculous.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
So after all these years..we still have the horrible old ice cream sandwich-like design, when the 3G/S felt much better on the hand. Can't Apple find a good middle ground?

So 4" screen and same old horrible exterior design? Hmm I might just skip this.

Same here. It's not that the iPhone 4 design isn't pretty. But it's still far from perfect. It doesnt fit very well in the hand. And after all It's getting boring to me.

We've waited 2 years for a revision. and all we get is a lousy upgrade. Apple has to pay attention that it doesn't lose it's design lead.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
i have a super wild theory

the new iPhone 5 will have a larger, taller screen, but the main screen view will be the same resolution. the extra height in the screen will be dedicated to notifications, call status bars. if there are no notifications, those pixels will be off.

VanVeen

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Guadalajara
New iOS

What if the new tall screen is for a new layout on the next version of iOS?.. It does not make any sense to me to add that screen space just for an extra row of apps..

Does anyone really need an extra row of apps on their home screen?.. :rolleyes:

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California

the new iPhone 5 will have a larger, taller screen, but the main screen view will be the same resolution. the extra height in the screen will be dedicated to notifications, call status bars. if there are no notifications, those pixels will be off.

Wild, but it does make you think about your options.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So after all these years..we still have the horrible old ice cream sandwich-like design, when the 3G/S felt much better on the hand. Can't Apple find a good middle ground?

So 4" screen and same old horrible exterior design? Hmm I might just skip this.

Same here. It's not that the iPhone 4 design isn't pretty. But it's still far from perfect. It doesnt fit very well in the hand. And after all It's getting boring to me.

We've waited 2 years for a revision. and all we get is a lousy upgrade. Apple has to pay attention that it doesn't lose it's design lead.

I've got a solution for both of you.

prozac-dont-worry-be-happy.jpg

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I love the new unibody design, headphone jack placement makes so much more sense too. 16:9 screen works for me too!!

The major upside for me is when people want there screen replaced its the first thing that comes off!

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
What if the new tall screen is for a new layout on the next version of iOS?.. It does not make any sense to me to add that screen space just for an extra row of apps..

Does anyone really need an extra row of apps on their home screen?.. :rolleyes:

Think about it. It's not just about an extra row of icons.

More viewing space, more room inside, and enables a thinner form factor. 16:9 aspect ratio. Brah. ;)

steve.lawrence

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
This phone is not happening.

1) Too many leaks. Waaaaay too many leaks for an Apple product. They're a decoy leading us up the garden path, just like the so-called teardrop-shaped iPhone 5 last year. This many leaks just don't happen.

2) Tim Cook recently said in his D10 interview that one of Apple's key strengths with the iOS environment is the lack of fragmentation and specifically mentioned the fact that there aren't heaps of different resolutions for devs to have to code for as a key strength. Why would he say this and then undo it just a few months later.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
All I can say is I will not buy the iPhone 5 or anymore iPhone proceeding that unless it is a redesign. In particular the "tear drop" design.

so you want a design that is less functional and has a smaller battery, but looks different. got it.

i'd much rather see enclosure designs focus on durability and lightweight materials. dropping an iphone 2 feet onto concrete should not be a several hundred $$ mistake. the fortress cases people put their iphones in are ridiculous.

Aaargh!

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007

What if that area is for widgets ? It seems about the same size as the weather/stocks widget on notification center now. Swipe left/right to browse through widgets or pull down for notification/widget center.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K

That would be weird lol

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Why all the "leaks"?

Pretty easy to answer; The Galaxy S3. Apple is very worried, and if they aren't they should be. They are late to the party. S3 releases in China tomorrow. China has 610,000,000 customers on ONE telecom!!

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Seriously, this phone is just ugly / boring. It seems Apple wanted to make sure no one would copy that design... I've have had every single iPhone model ever released but I won't be getting this one. Apple needs to seriously re-work both the hardware design and software. Some minor changes in iOS and design are not enough.

jt562

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
Funny

I can see in october or whenever apple decide to release the iphone everyone being shocked to the design,it happens every year with mock ups etc and almost 100% of the time they are nothing like the real thing. Oh well we will see, although i think the rumours are part of the fun...so keep it up macrumors!

harry74

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Netherlands
Yes, we are expecting a redesign

Some people are saying, the Iphone 4/s design is the best, but with all the Patents Apple is getting in to this world, you would expect a better and other design.
Or, are they already having a Iphone 5S and Iphone 6 Ready for testing ?

Why having a Patent on Glass with a Curve ??, oh yes i forgot the Itv...can also look great with a curved Panel..:)
I think we all expect a Whattttt Woooow level of suprise, but it also can get very disapointing.
I also hope for a better thing than shown above..

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Pretty easy to answer; The Galaxy S3. Apple is very worried, and if they aren't they should be. They are late to the party. S3 releases in China tomorrow. China has 610,000,000 customers on ONE telecom!!

Apple leaks aren't through shoddy blogging sites and Asian suppliers. It's using through sites like WSJ, All Things Digital or Bloomberg.

Apple isn't a company that's in a position to be fearful. They control their destiny far more than Samsung does.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Antenna Redesign

No way will it look like this. The antennas on the side will not function if connected to a metal backing. The back will be some type of glass. I know they were developing a fibreglass which can have a glossy black finish with x times the strength of gorilla glass.

Apple use to leak dummy parts now they have these fools doing all the work..

I'm guessing all the antennas are inside the top and bottom of the phone where it is glass. The middle back plate is aluminum.

I don't think the frame is going to be the GSM, UMTS, etc. antennas anymore. If they are, then of course it won't touch the aluminum backing, and the glass top and bottom will just cover the internal WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. antenna. As it is now, the glass is covering an internal antenna. Yes, that is (likely) a black antenna just under the top of the back glass plate (not visible) in the iPhone 4 and 4S.

I also believe, along with many others that, again, there won't be a teardrop design. It may look cool, but I want a battery that'll last more than 2 hours in there. (A teardrop design seems to take out 30%-50% of the volume, meaning the battery would be less than half the current size.)

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i really wish (if this is the design), that the aspect ratio was kept the same. the device looks too long and un-proportional. i would have liked to see a wider screen not just a taller one

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'd prefer not. The current design makes it super easy to sit it on its side or bottom for video recording or skype video chats.

Funny you should mention this. I remember when I had to record myself teaching in class once. So I inverted a cardboard box on a desk, then propped my iphone on its side. Caught my whole lesson like a charm. :D

Easier than recording on a video camcorder and still having to export the entire thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.