Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple to Introduce Third MacBook Line with Retina Display at WWDC?

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today issued a new report outlining his belief that Apple's thinner, Retina-equipped Mac notebook will arrive next week as a new model, referring to the machine simply as a "MacBook". Kuo believes that this MacBook will be offered alongside upgraded versions of the existing 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, with Apple being reluctant to do away with the current 13-inch design in particular due to its massive popularity.
Quote:
We expect Apple (US) to unveil a new MacBook series independent from the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines at Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June. We expect the new MacBook to have the following features:

(1) Basic 13" model to be priced at US$1,199
(2) No disc drive
(3) To come in both SSD and HDD
(4) Lighter and slimmer than MacBook Pro, with equal computing power
(5) Retinal display with tapered edge, larger battery capacity
Kuo also reiterates his earlier claims that Apple will discontinue the 17-inch MacBook Pro this year, citing estimates that the model makes up only 1% of Apple's notebook sales.

The introduction of this new "MacBook" model would leave Apple with a lineup of six notebooks, although Kuo predicts that issues with display yield and heat dissipation will push the release of the 13-inch MacBook back until August, leaving only the 15-inch model to make its debut next week.

Mention of an independent graphics chip on 13" MacBook Pro is an error - should be integrated graphics
We should note that this configuration of models is not accounted for in our speculation on part numbers that leaked earlier this week, but we did receive an unconfirmed tip of a different configuration that would match up with Kuo's claims fairly closely. In that scenario, new iMacs are not accounted for in the list and the J30/J31 model numbers represent updated 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models while the D2 model represents this new Retina-equipped 15-inch MacBook.

Kuo believes that Apple will wait until next year to re-simplify its notebook lines with Intel's Haswell platform, at which point the company will merge the MacBook Pro and this new MacBook model, leaving a set of four models: 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs and 13-inch and 15-inch MacBooks.

We do find Kuo's claims to be somewhat difficult to believe, as we fail to see how this new "MacBook" model is substantially different in performance from the MacBook Pro and thus do not see why users would be interested in a non-Retina MacBook Pro given the existence of this new MacBook line. Given the scenario outlined by Kuo, the only "advantage" of the thicker MacBook Pro would be an included optical drive, but users are finding such a feature to be increasingly unnecessary and easily replaceable by digital downloads such as through the Mac App Store, direct file transfers, and cloud-based storage, with an external optical drive available to be connected only on the rare occasions when necessary.

Still, Kuo has offered accurate information on Apple's notebook plans in the past, being the first to outlined the MacBook Air redesign that included the new 11-inch model, and thus we feel that his claims are worth some consideration and discussion.

Article Link: Apple to Introduce Third MacBook Line with Retina Display at WWDC?
MacRumors is offline   -9
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

That's just silly.
CausticPuppy is offline   32
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
ciociosan
macrumors member

If it has a retina display, I hope they man up and call it the EyeBook
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
ugru
macrumors regular

Science Fiction....
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #5
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Not happening.
cmChimera is online now   16
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Paix247
macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it make more sense that the new ones would be the Pro machines and then the current 13" (and maybe the 15") MacBook Pro would just drop the Pro?
Paix247 is offline   8
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:01 AM   #7
rmwebs
Banned

I hope we dont see ANOTHER line up of MacBooks.

I'd rather they consolidate it more.

The difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro is now very minor. Just have a MacBook line that is the thickness of the Air, and then offer a wide range of performance options (e.g still have a 11" at 1.6ghz, but also have a 15" with an i7.

It just seems to be silly to me to have such a wide range when they could just have a single lineup of laptops that are as thick as the air (or slightly thicker).
rmwebs is offline   20
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Really couldn't imagine this happening.... Doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
WoodNUFC
macrumors 6502

what he's describing is a bigger MacBook Air really. His comment about the same computing power as a pro makes me scratch me head. How could they cool such a computer in such a small form factor? I could be wrong, but that seems to be a rather large hurdle.
WoodNUFC is offline   7
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
I hope we dont see ANOTHER line up of MacBooks.

I'd rather they consolidate it more.

The difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro is now very minor. Just have a MacBook line that is the thickness of the Air, and then offer a wide range of performance options (e.g still have a 11" at 1.6ghz, but also have a 15" with an i7.

It just seems to be silly to me to have such a wide range when they could just have a single lineup of laptops that are as thick as the air (or slightly thicker).
Hence this part of the story: "Kuo believes that Apple will wait until next year to re-simplify its notebook lines with Intel's Haswell platform, at which point the company will merge the MacBook Pro and this new MacBook model, leaving a set of four models: 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs and 13-inch and 15-inch MacBooks."
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

That's stupid.

If the new Macbook line is as powerful as the Pro line, WHY keep the Pro line? What advantage does the Pro offer? A CD drive? Not exactly tempting in today's day and age. I'd rather take thinner and retina over a stupid CD drive, especially since it looks like it will be priced cheaper than a pro.

Just Axe the old Pro line and rebrand the new Pro line as this thinner/Retina one.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #12
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Apple does a lot of things that don't make technical sense, but they do them anyways for marketing purposes.

Last edited by kjs862; Jun 8, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
kjs862 is offline   8
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #13
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Maybe it will be next year that they Merge happens. But why not simply have a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro with the retinal display, and all the goodies, (same price point) but w/o the optical drive. The only time I use my optical drive is to import CDs into iTunes (I use the AIFF setting for HQ) I can always use an external drive or another computer and then coy them over for those rare occasions. I would love a MacBook Pro to have the battery occupy the optical drive area.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:05 AM   #14
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

We know it's a lie because the 13 MBP is listed as having dedicated nVidia graphics. Apple would NEVER do that. right?

keysersoze is offline   1
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:06 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Make a separate line for Retina Displays? That would be stupid.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:06 AM   #16
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Doesn't Apple believe in keeping the number of choices low to avoid confusing the consumer?

This would add MORE models, which is precisely what Steve Jobs taught Apple to not do...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #17
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Make a separate line for Retina Displays? That would be stupid.
They're not gonna do that. Apple would become like Dell or HP-- having multiple laptop lines of the same size, each of which has multiple standard configurations, PLUS bto configurations.

At some point the Macbook Air or Macbook Pro branding would go away, replaced by just "Macbook", maybe that's possible-- but that's just a branding change. The Air would remain the consumer laptop and the pro would remain, well, the pro laptop.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   2
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
andrewzz
macrumors member

Nonsense.
andrewzz is offline   5
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #19
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

Nobody will buy the Air or the Pro if this "retina" notebook will come in August...
Mjmar is offline   4
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #20
Black Belt
macrumors 6502

Ridiculous. And if they drop the 17 I'd be pissed.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #21
japjoe7
macrumors member

The Macbook, if true, would be aluminum right...not plastic??
japjoe7 is offline   2
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #22
jasontll
macrumors newbie

This can't be true...
Thinner, MBP level processing power, and with Retina Display?????
I can't see why people would want to buy MBP anymore, so why bother having a MBP line where the new "MacBook" is better?
jasontll is offline   1
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #23
Skika
macrumors 68020

Hm maybe the difference isnt just the Optical drive, but ethernet and firewire as well...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #24
pgifford
macrumors member

But I have a 17" MBP

I guess that makes me part of the 1%?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #25
KPOM
macrumors G3

Perhaps what he is calling "MacBooks" are simply configuration options for the MacBook Pro (i.e. low-end configurations to maintain a price point). If any line were to be renamed simply "MacBook," it would be the MacBook Air, not the MacBook Pro.
KPOM is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion