Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

phil_schiller-150x171.jpg
Bloomberg Businessweek publishes a new profile of Phil Schiller, Apple senior vice president of marketing who served for years as Steve Jobs' right-hand man regarding the company's public presentations and comments, but who has also been intimately involved in product development and positioning.
He helped Apple's late CEO work through the meat-and-potatoes of creating new products: Defining target markets, determining technical specs, setting prices. It was Schiller who came up with the spin-wheel interface on the original iPod, and he was a champion of the iPad when other executives questioned its potential. "Because Phil's title is marketing, people believe he's focused on what's on the billboards," says Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray (PJC). "He's much more important than people give him credit for."
The profile notes that while Schiller and Jobs appeared vastly different in their personal lives and interests, the two were always on the same wavelength with regard to Apple's plans, earning Schiller the internal nickname of "Mini-Me". Like Jobs, Schiller has also been known to be ruthless in shooting down ideas considered not good enough for Apple to pursue, earning him another nickname of "Dr. No".

Schiller is one of the key executives responsible for helping Apple maintain its momentum as it transitions away from Jobs' influence, and he knows that he will be one of those held most acutely responsible if Apple's future products fall short.
Schiller shares many of Jobs's passions and impulses. The big question is how well he can channel them into new ideas and products. Four former Apple managers say many consider him overly controlling and worry that he lacks the bold creative instincts needed to maintain Apple's edge. Particularly in his expanded marketing role, some fear he will be a more conventional leader, prone to hyping products in ways that tarnish Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.
With the iPad now over two years old and experiencing booming growth, the pressure is on Apple to set the stage for its next breakthrough product, which some believe to be television. But regardless of Apple's plans, Schiller will be playing a key role in nurturing Apple's progress and serving as a public face for Apple to help spread its message.

Article Link: Apple Marketing Chief Phil Schiller Profiled as Key to Apple's Future Success

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
This doesn't surprise me. I've always liked Schiller, does his best to make keynote presentations interesting and fun.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Nobody doubts Steve's contributions into bringing Apple to where it is now. But most people forget that he didn't do it alone. I remember he always mentioned "we" on interviews, and I'm pretty sure Schiller is a big part of that we.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm never surprised when uninformed folks assume Marketing means Advertising. Interesting to see that Jobs, of all people, saw eye-to-eye with a Marketeer.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Something about Phil's overall demeanor that I am a fan of. I think Apple will do just fine with him as an executive.

Last edited:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I would think he is the least capable for apple's future success. But with the money he has he can certainly purchase a profile or two to mend his public image over his juvenile comments on instagram.

If marketing take over apple over creatives and programmers, which so far it seems this is the trend apple will have a problem.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
As soon as the projects Jobs developed roll out of the pipeline Apple will be done. You can see them entrenching already - all they're doing with the iPhone is copying Android and Windows Mobile and then filing lawsuit after lawsuit claiming they were the ones who were copied.

Apple, once the pirates of Silicon Valley doing battle against stodgy corporate giants like IBM has become IBM. And like IBM they will slowly fade from the scene. It's ironic that Jobs chose Orwell's 1984 theme for the 1984 Super Bowl, when another of Orwell's books matches Apple's evolution more closely - Animal Farm.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Nobody doubts Steve's contributions into bringing Apple to where it is now. But most people forget that he didn't do it alone. I remember he always mentioned "we" on interviews, and I'm pretty sure Schiller is a big part of that we.

I love the current executive team, but I just feel like Steve has that extra something that all of them combined don't.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I'm never surprised when uninformed folks assume Marketing means Advertising. Interesting to see that Jobs, of all people, saw eye-to-eye with a Marketeer.

If by eye to eye you mean inciting him to jump from a few metres on a matress for a product launch, he sure did...:rolleyes: To be fair Steve saw eye to eye with very few people. I don't doubt that Phil is excellent at this job, I just don't think he has what it takes at all for carving out a creative way for apple in the future. Apple needs disruption if it is to survive without diluting itself. It doesn't need someone going make os x and atv look like ios so we sell more to the detriment of both of them, especially so the latter.

weaponEX

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
UK
The key line here is:
Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.

It's easy to forget that how loyal the fans are and how much hard work it must have taken to earn.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Like the others in the Apple pantheon, Schiller has made mistakes but he clearly has the ability to learn from them. Introducing MobileMe, new iPhone software and the 3g all on the same day, worldwide, almost caused Apple to turn into a black hole as servers struggled. That was the turning point when Schiller and Jobs woke up to the fact that Apple was no longer a toy company but a major tech player. That day, everything at Apple changed and the company gained a new focus and that's when the phenomenal growth really began.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I would think he is the least capable for apple's future success. But with the money he has he can certainly purchase a profile or two to mend his public image over his juvenile comments on instagram.

If marketing take over apple over creatives and programmers, which so far it seems this is the trend apple will have a problem.

Your opinion based on ?.........NOTHING

You must not want democracy. He can't say what he thinks?

Think differently. In your case a little deeper would help.

Please apply immediately for these top positions at Apple and right what is wrong. They are really doomed without your open minded expertise.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
It was Schiller who came up with the spin-wheel interface on the original iPod

I didn't know that. But if it's true, he had a gigantic hand in putting Apple where they are today. It was the iPod that really got them into the portable device market, and it was the click-wheel that made the iPod stand out and turned it into a must have item among a sea of mp3 players that were already available. Just look at how copied that wheel design was on almost every player that the competition launched once the iPod took off.

It's arguable that if the iPod hadn't been the success it was, we may not have seen the iPhone or the iPad. It really isn't possible to overstate just how important that wheel was for the company's fortunes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
According to Ken Segsall Schller wanted to call the iMac MacMan, thank goodness Segall came up with iMac or we could be living with MacMan, PodMan, PhoneMan and PadMan. :eek:

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Particularly in his expanded marketing role, some fear he will be a more conventional leader, prone to hyping products in ways that tarnish Apple's hard-won brand loyalty.

Epic bulls*it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.