Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your Prometheus Rating

• 1/5- Aweful

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 2/5- Barely Tolerable

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • 3/5- OK

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • 4/5- Good

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • 5/5- Great

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Not Gonna See It.

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you really want to proceed?​
I'm not using spoiler shielding...

Hard to believe the original movie was 33 frick'n years ago! Oh well... So what's the nitty gritty consensus? Thumbs up or down? I give it a solid thumbs up. I gave it a 4. Actually maybe a 4.5.

Weyland-Yutani_Corp._Logo.gif

For this chapter it's just Weyland Corp.​

Alien Timeline
Prometheus- 2093
Alien- 2122
Aliens- 2178 (I think)

In contrast my wife hated how it seemed to her to be very close the original movie themes, a bad corporation doing things behind the crew's back, screwing them over, keeping the real agenda secret, and that aspect is certainly there. But she also hated Avatar because it was Dancing With Wolves in Space. I disagreed with her there too. If you take all most any movie today it is somewhat difficult to find thoroughly original themes.

Regarding bad corporations, although David actually killed Charlie, I did not get the feeling he was really bad, just a prisoner of his programing, unlike the orignal bad robot (Ash) in Alien who I felt was really bad, although that is just emotions talking. ;) Once his boss was dead, he offered to help Elizabeth escape the planet. And this mission was not about finding weapons, but finding our creators who might help Peter Wayland cheat death, the fool, lol. :) Actually I'm not sure why David would be trying to kill his crew members?? It was not really explained was it?

I thought the premise was really good, humanoids who placed humans on Earth and then changed their minds. That the alien critters that Weyland Corporation always have been trying to obtain for weapons, in actuality were originally planned as weapons by their creators.

The caesarian scene was tense, but I thought a little unrealistic. Could a woman get up and move around lke that after having her belly and womb (assuming it was in her womb) cut open, even with pain killers? Maybe she had a laser seal? ;)

My major critique of the movie is the blatant disrespect for quarantine procedures by crew members in the field. "Oh look the air is breathable, let's take off our helmets!", although I admit once they contacted the alien critters, it made little difference whether their helmets were on or not. It's just the principle, damn it! ;) I was impressed that Capt Vickers was ready and able to fry an infected crew member begging her to kill him as he walked toward the ship's entry point.

I was pleasantly surprised that Janek was so willing to sacrifice himself, remaining crew members, and the ship to stop the alien humanoids from heading to Earth.

Amazing visuals and atmosphere.

What are the critiques? Don't worry I can take it. :D

Edit: Thanks Mods for moving this to the correct section!! :D:D

prometheus-3-1024x679.jpg

THEY'VE GOT THEIR HELMETS OFF! JUST ANYTHING COULD SLITHER INTO ANY EXPOSE ORIFICES!! Then watch'm wriggle! :)

Last edited:

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I just got home and though I'll preface by saying I'd give it a 4/5 I wasn't all that impressed. The initial story I heard had this as a prequel to alien. Then later I read it wasn't. It clearly was and they were so close to connecting the dots that I don't get why Scott didn't just do that. The visuals were spectacular and I just saw 2D. I'm not in favor of 3D. I don't think it adds that much. I don't see any chance for an in between prequel or sequel so it seems kind of wasted. I guess I'm back to being excited for dark knight rises.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just got home and though I'll preface by saying I'd give it a 4/5 I wasn't all that impressed. The initial story I heard had this as a prequel to alien. Then later I read it wasn't. It clearly was and they were so close to connecting the dots that I don't get why Scott didn't just do that. The visuals were spectacular and I just saw 2D. I'm not in favor of 3D. I don't think it adds that much. I don't see any chance for an in between prequel or sequel so it seems kind of wasted. I guess I'm back to being excited for dark knight rises.

The ending does allow for a sequel in another direction. I guess she's taking a real chance considering the one live Engineer she met, was intent on killing them...

InvalidUserID

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
I watched it a few hours ago and I thought it was good.

- The opening "waterfall" sequence was confusing.
- Yes, quarantine protocol or lack thereof.
- The "eel" scene was NUTS. Ugh!
- If the "engineers" and humans have the same DNA, why did the initial alien come out as a squid yet when it "pairs" with an engineer, it becomes the serpent alien we know of?
- God Charlize Theron is gorgeous without a lot of makeup. I wish I could look that great without makeup!

How were the lines for everyone else? Leaving the theater at 7pm, the line for the later shows was already around the front (Mercado in Santa Clara).

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Haven't see it (and didn't read the thread) but after watching Alien (and the rest of the series) and the latest preview on iTunes the plot is pretty obvious.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Saw it yesterday, and would give it a 3.5/5. There wasn't an option for that so I went for 3/5.

I thought it was a generally good movie. This is one of the better movies I've seen in theaters recently (better than MIB3 and Avengers).

It was "good", but not anywhere near great or amazing. A little cliche, but the story is what made this movie above average.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched it a few hours ago and I thought it was good.

- The opening "waterfall" sequence was confusing.
- Yes, quarantine protocol or lack thereof.
- The "eel" scene was NUTS. Ugh!
- If the "engineers" and humans have the same DNA, why did the initial alien come out as a squid yet when it "pairs" with an engineer, it becomes the serpent alien we know of?
- God Charlize Theron is gorgeous without a lot of makeup. I wish I could look that great without makeup!

How were the lines for everyone else? Leaving the theater at 7pm, the line for the later shows was already around the front (Mercado in Santa Clara).

For the waterfall:
Millions of years ago In the distant past, the spacecraft of an advanced humanoid alien race arrives on Earth. One of the aliens consumes a dark liquid, causing its body to disintegrate and fall into a nearby waterfall, thus seeding Earth with the building blocks of life.

I could be wrong about this, but my impression is that as a biological weapons lab they had a variety of creature types they were working with. I'm not sure what role the dna of the host played into creature development. Based on the original movies, I'd guess that the appearance of the phase one creature did not require what the phase two creature looked like.

From the original movies, the skitterers (baby aliens) would latch onto the victim's face, planting and embryo inside the victim. So I was a bit surprised that the alien that was implanted inside Elizabeth, forcibly removed, still had the need to implant an embryo into the alien humanoid. I'm sure the screen play was relying on some kind of logic, but it seemed elusive to me. I was surprised when she popped the door to the lab open, precisely at the right moment allowing it to grab the humanoid alien. :)

My bet is that Ms Theron had makeup on, but not as much makeup or a different style than what she wore in Snow White. :)

I saw the 11am show and the lines were longer than usual but manageable considering we showed up 10 before. The theater was not quite full.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Doesn't live up to the original films. To many unanswered questions. Good effects weak story. 1 out of 5. Don't bother with 3d not worth the money.

The original Alien is definitely the best. And I agree regarding the unanswered questions. There seems to be a lot of "holes" in the story that don't fully explain some things.

I had to see it in 3D because I had no choice (because of the movie times), and I have to say it's not worth the extra money. I personally enjoy 2D more because what's highlighted is the actual movie, not special 3D effects.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What are considered the major flaws of this movie? Not that I want to debate, I'd like other perspectives. Thanks! :):)

Doesn't live up to the original films. To many unanswered questions. Good effects weak story. 1 out of 5. Don't bother with 3d not worth the money.

Why was the story weak? If you look at the first two films, the first was a "house of horrors survival" film, a ship sent to a planet to stumble across aliens by a nasty corporation who felt the crew was expendable if necessary. The primary focus was the struggle to survive. The entire story had a lot of classic horror mistakes, ie, crew members wandering off solo or groups of two, instead of seeking strength in numbers. When Dallas went into the ducts solo, I remember saying OMG. :)

Aliens was Marines coming in to kick alien butt, but getting in over their heads. Fairly straight forward story with lots of great James Cameron scripted action. The slimy bastard Burke, along with the little touches like the Hudson, Bishop knife game gave this movie it's flavor along with kick ass combat. Check out this youtube video. :)

Although I grant you your right to an opinion :), this movie is hard to compare to those first two movies. This has a different formula. Would anyone have been happy if it had been a just a repeat of the first two stories? I think the premise is brilliant. But it does have some flaws.

The original Alien is definitely the best. And I agree regarding the unanswered questions. There seems to be a lot of "holes" in the story that don't fully explain some things.

I had to see it in 3D because I had no choice (because of the movie times), and I have to say it's not worth the extra money. I personally enjoy 2D more because what's highlighted is the actual movie, not special 3D effects.

I agree, 2D is my normal preference.

Good to see I wasn't the only one confused about the timeline of the whole series.

What's the timeline problem?

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
- Why did robot kill the male scientist?

- What did the old man ask of the alien?

- So... If our DNA matched, why were they giant, white, and different?

- Any explanation of how the alien came to be?

- What were the black vases? The aliens and they would shoot them to other planets? If so, were they shooting them at other worlds to wipe them out?

- How did robot know their language, how to operate their doors, etc?

- What were the ghost videos?

- Is Noomi Rapace pretty or not?

- Why did they wear ace-bandage underwear?

I like the movie, incredible visuals, the 3D sucked, but I felt confused.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

- What were the black vases? The aliens and they would shoot them to other planets? If so, were they shooting them at other worlds to wipe them out?

-Why did robot kill the male scientist?

-Hidden agenda of an evil corporation. Weyland Corporation apparently has always been looking for weapons of war. I presume the robot who was programmed for this, was able to deduce the possible use for the black stuff and decided (based on his programming) to experiment on one of the crew members.

Where is the fountain of youth? Except I only remember the robot talking to the alien before his head was removed. ;)

Variations within matched DNA could allow for larger versions of humanoids?

Which one?

Black vases held bio-material that produced weaponized aliens. I can only assume they activated when people walked in there. Actually for Earth, they were going to fly them there and expose the population and wildlife. I need to see this movie again, because I don't remember how they decided the alien humanoids had changed their minds about Earth and now wanted to destroy the animal life.

He spent at least 2 years studying languages and was able to put 2 and 2 together.

Recordings, hmm, recordings of them running away from something. From what could that be? ;)

Attractive, not pretty.

That's what they wear in the future during space travel.

I don't care for 3D either. Any better now? :)

Last edited:

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
It helps! Thank you for that.

At first I thought the vases held DNA and the station was used as a base to seed life on other planets. Boy was I wrong!

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Prometheus

Wow! Saw it today in a packed movie theater. If you are into Aliens, this is the type of movie to see on the big screen. This story is a worthy prequel to the Aliens series. There are revelations, deceit, incredible cinematography and visuals, and hard core action.

However, my wife who is an Alien/Aliens fan, disliked it because she thought they mild spoiler>> were telling basically the same story over, or at least there were too many similar themes regarding the Weyland Corporation.<<end spoiler

Aliens scifi fan that I am, I was impressed. I will purchase this title when it comes out on BluRay... :):)

After you see it, check in at the Prometheus Spoiler Thread in this forum to praise or pick it apart.

Why does everyone state this is sort of a prequel?!

I havent' seen it yet but from all the trailers this looks to be the last line in the store of them all (save for #4 with Sigourney Weaver/Alien returning to earth arch). I see this as explorers discovering a lost ancient civilization which they finally have the means to seek out only to find "the watcher" in that seat being dormant and wishing they hadn't.

I believe the first movie found this planet as desolate as can be, and they discovered the 'dreaded eggs of doom'.

Then again I think the FIRST movie was completely different planet and the ships name "Prometheus" being a long line continued brand much like we have discovery, etc for the space shuttles).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Although it will be hard to have much of a movie with only one character and the head of a robot. But, who knows?

She took the robots body as well as head. I assumed she fixed him before he flew the other ship. On that subject wouldn't the second alien ship be full of alien vases as well? If so I don't think I would be as keen to get on board!

----------

Although it will be hard to have much of a movie with only one character and the head of a robot. But, who knows?

Don't forget the question of why did the alien infect himself at the start of the movie. Why did he do that? Where was he supposed to be, earth or somewhere else?

gigadigit

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
This link explains the whole movie:
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Ridley Scott has this to say about the scene: 'That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.'

Can we find a God in human history who creates plant life through his own death, and who is associated with a river? It's not difficult to find several, but the most obvious candidate is Osiris, the epitome of all the Frazerian 'Dying Gods'.

And we wouldn't be amiss in seeing the first of the movie's many Christian allegories in this scene, either. The Engineer removes his cloak before the ceremony, and hesitates before drinking the cupful of genetic solvent; he may well have been thinking 'If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me.'

So, we know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

----------

Don't forget the question of why did the alien infect himself at the start of the movie. Why did he do that? Where was he supposed to be, earth or somewhere else?

Last edited:

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
The ending does allow for a sequel in another direction. I guess she's taking a real chance considering the one live Engineer she met, was intent on killing them...

...and she made it pretty clear that she wanted to know why. Not unreasonable, could you imagine going back to a "normal" life?

Not that it would be anything normal about that life, imagine returning to earth in an alien space craft, without the rest of the team (except for a damaged artificial life form, known to have a hidden agenda). What could possibly go wrong? :p

A longer director's cut would probably help a lot, got the impression that loads of relevant material connecting scenes had been cut. Not explaining everything is fine, unanswered questions can actually add to a movie. Plot holes on the other hand can not.

As for 3D, completely agree.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
This link explains the background of the story.
A lot of symbolism, and themes.

There is a reason for everything in the movie.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

Read it only if you have seen the movie.

This is a great analysis of the movie, which helped illuminate some of the concepts.

He leaves out one important Ridley Scott motif: the sole survivor. For Alien and Aliens, that survivor is Ripley. (Sorry, I can't pull the endings of the other two movies.) Apparently there was some catastrophe in which only one Engineer survives. That catastrophe was the Crucifixion?

And I'm not buying his point, entirely, that the black goo reacted solely to human survival instinct. Engineers have the same DNA as humans, so it's plausible that the planet was as inhospitable to them as to us. So why didn't the Engineers' own survival instinct turn the goo evil? And even if the Engineers have an ethos of self-sacrifice, why did the holograms show them fleeing? They were scared of something, and one managed to get to his/her/its sleep chamber.

I dunno, nice movie, but I was disappointed. I think Erich von Daniken deserves a screenplay credit.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.