Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Is there a decent freeware I can use to help my folks in the country with "Windows" PCs? I have a Windows XP PC on a Fujitsu machine, which I only use for MS Money, as I use my Macs for my computing (I have a Lenovo Laptop supplied by my company, however). It is difficult to do a tech support remotely to help them with installing or uninstalling software since my parents are not really good with computers.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Try Teamviewer, it's free for home use and very good, it lets you VoIP and video chat at the same time, also handles file exchange and seems to be secure :)

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
logmein is pretty seemless, with a free version, and if you go pro, file transfer.
No need for any router configuration.

oskin

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Try Teamviewer, it's free for home use and very good, it lets you VoIP and video chat at the same time, also handles file exchange and seems to be secure :)

+1 on teamviewer. It is so easy that it will make you cry.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
If both computers were running Windows 7 then you wouldn't need any additional software at all.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
If both computers were running Windows 7 then you wouldn't need any additional software at all.

Unless you are behind a router, the you have to configure port forwarding.
Teamviewer works out of the box without any configuration and even behind NAT and Proxy :)

This is the best Freeware that I know of that does everything. You can even set up unattended access, or generate a password every time you share your desktop. For me it's a killer app.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Personally I use LogMeIn but I hadn't heard of TeamViewer. I may have to take a look. What are the advantages over LogMeIn though? I need access on OS X and iOS.

Windows Remote Desktop is a free download on the Office for Mac website - Office isn't required. It's pretty good. I pair it with LogMeIn Hamachi VPN, which runs on Windows and OS X. Also free, no config.

On iOS I use LogMeIn.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
TeamViewer FTW!

I have to give my two cents here too. Teamviewer is wicked simple. Rock solid and gets the job done for zip-zilch-nadda. While I have tried Logmein, it's just not as good, and you get pestered to pay for a full version, which truly sucks.

With TeamViewer, it does not matter what OS you are using, and like other's have said, proxies? Firewalls, no worries. I have actually done maintenance work on my wife's macbook when she was deployed to Afganhistan from my home office here in California with no issues.

~Drake

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
You can now also try the Remote Desktop for Chrome extension which works over the Internet also and also is free :D

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
+1 on teamviewer. It is so easy that it will make you cry.

I concur. My mom is overseas and I am here in the States and I used TeamViewer as well. It is pretty fast and the connection is pretty reliable even her internet connection is below 1mbps. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.