Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've downloaded Sparrow and enjoy using it specifically for checking my work E-mail account, since it handles folders a lot better than the built-in mail client.

Built in mail for personal, Sparrow for work. It's a great way of keeping personal and work seperate and Sparrow does a great job with my giant work mail folders!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Sparrow for mac got imap support more than a year ago, and always had it on iOS.

Strange, when I asked them prior to a purchase they said "all these things are coming soon, we're working on it".

Glad to hear they have Gmail imap support already.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/push.php

If you like the app then add your name to the petition.

That petition nonsense is BS and it's one of the reasons I stopped using the app. How is it that other mail apps are currently able to push notifications to iOS devices but Sparrow can't?

If it's because the Sparrow developers are too cheap to invest some of their revenue into things like a server backend that can push notifications to their app, I have little sympathy for them. You have to pay to play; and the iOS ecosystem is responsible for bringing in plenty of money to that little company, I suspect.

The Sparrow devs knew the rules of engagement (or should have known them if they didn't) before they even started developing Sparrow for iOS. For them to get approval in the app store and then turn around and whine and stomp their feet like children because they can't get access to the APIs they want doesn't elicit any sympathy from me.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Yeah, if the developer thinks I'm going to drop a gallon-of-gas-sized chunk of change on this, they've got another thing coming.

----------

Sparrow for iPhone addresses nearly all of the criticisms I have of built-in mail. I 'm really looking forward to this.

Why? I'd be willing to bet that shiny device you hold every day cost as much as your annual insurance premium.

I'm against non-universal apps most of the time too but not when quality software is involved or the iPad counterpart has a slightly different (more enhanced) UI. If it's a direct port then developing separate apps is BS.

----------

That petition nonsense is BS and it's one of the reasons I stopped using the app. How is it that other mail apps are currently able to push notifications to iOS devices but Sparrow can't?

If it's because the Sparrow developers are too cheap to invest some of their revenue into things like a server backend that can push notifications to their app, I have little sympathy for them. You have to pay to play; and the iOS ecosystem is responsible for bringing in plenty of money to that little company, I suspect.

The Sparrow devs knew the rules of engagement (or should have known them if they didn't) before they even started developing Sparrow for iOS. For them to get approval in the app store and then turn around and whine and stomp their feet like children because they can't get access to the APIs they want doesn't elicit any sympathy from me.

Clearly you haven't read much into the situation. Sparrow's developers, as well as customer themselves have bemoaned the idea of Sparrow setting up their own servers to push us mail.

They took issue specifically because all your personal mail data would then go through the Sparrow servers thereby creating a privacy concern for many users.

Not only a privacy concern, but a considerable waste of money when a slight variation of code can be written should Apple decide to stop playing games - as evidenced by other apps already having push functionality.

If, as a developer you need to drop thousands in investment for your own servers, your money and time would be much better off implemented on developing a game. Then not only would the servers actually have a purpose, but income could still flow in through in app purchases. Not so with Sparrow.

You think they are millionaires because they made a $2.99 mail app?

freedomstudios

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
South Africa
Spam control?

The single biggest issue I have has with Sparrow is the lack of spam control. Unfortunately Sparrow only relies on Gmail's inbuilt spam filter which is really not as effective as it claims.

If Sparrow could get the spam problem sorted, it would be pretty much almost perfect in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.