Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Didn't the back to school promo at one time give you $100 off a Mac, not an iTunes gift card?

Students already get discounts on Mac's, separate from this. The deal used to be a free iPod with a mac during the summer, now it is iTunes gift cards.

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
I bought an iPad last week...

...literally just arrived 15 minutes ago...as I'm super psyched, and syncing it for the first time, blahblahblah, what are the odds I can get the $50 retroactively? :cool::p

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
you still get the printer :p kind of lame that apple isn't offering an iPod though. Nobody wants them anymore, might as well get rid of stock.

no they ended the printer program. that was announced months ago

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
...literally just arrived 15 minutes ago...as I'm super psyched, and syncing it for the first time, blahblahblah, what are the odds I can get the $50 retroactively? :cool::p

I'd say pretty good, I believe last year they counted purchases made 2 weeks before the start of the promo. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I purchased a refurb mac back in 2009 while the deal was going on and i got nothing.

Well, however unlikely, it is 2012 not 2009 and they have made some changes to the back to school program (transition from free iPod to gift card), so you never know. Guess I will wait until someone has the full terms and conditions for this year's promotion.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I had a feeling it'd start tomorrow :D

If I get a new Mac this summer, I'll probably go through Best Buy. They match the student discount and give you a $100 Best Buy giftcard as well. This would be much more useful for me than an App Store discount (but that's just me, of course).

Additionally, my credit card gives 5% back, so perhaps that's an option too (but it'd have to be ordered online).

Then again, if I go BTO, Apple.com is my only option. Might go corporate savings though, as it's a tad better than the education discount.

imagine18

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
I'm assuming that the iPad itself isn't going to receive a discount, is it? In the UK it receives about £1 off with student discount but if they're actually doing it as part of the Back to School range... I'd be interested to see whether they'll do a discount on the product itself.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I had a feeling it'd start tomorrow :D

If I get a new Mac this summer, I'll probably go through Best Buy. They match the student discount and give you a $100 Best Buy giftcard as well. This would be much more useful for me than an App Store discount (but that's just me, of course).

Additionally, my credit card gives 5% back, so perhaps that's an option too (but it'd have to be ordered online).

plus if you use your Best Buy Rewards Zone card you get a whopping rewards certificate back from your $2,000 purchase

it's a better deal overall to buy it from Best Buy

Nuts4Mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
iPod vS. Gift Card

I'd like the iPod over the gift card. I have received 4 free iPods in the past through this deal Apple offered and its a real help to resell after making a big purchase. I have heard of decent success selling gift cards though. You get about 95% of there value on eBay.

Hoping the new MB Airs offer a lower price. Rumors are going around there may be a $799 11" model offered. Then again, I'd like a 13" 8gig RAM, 512 HD, retina display model. We'll soon know....:)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Sucks balls for loyal customers (cough) who bought the new iPad on release day.

it gives all of the customers who returned/exchanged 8 iPads before giving up all together a little incentive to overlook the yellow tinted screen and single pixel failures for the $50 card

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I have been considering getting a mac since I am going back to school in a couple of months. This is gonna be a huge bonus!

kevkevykev

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
The North of Ireland.
Student discount works out in the region of 15% which is quite substantial if you ask my honest opinion.
I'm a student myself and I think this discount offered is pretty great by big multi national corporation standard, surely?

So anything extra offered in the way of vouchers is icing on an already icy cake :p

BTW I'm taking the big financial plunge and getting a mac pro after today's refresh. I'm a ProTools HD user and need the card slots and workload grunt from the xeon CPU's.
I also have to say I am nervous as s@it about the potential for this all to go belly up and the 'concrete rumours' regarding the refresh to be nothing more than bullsh@t...
Little over an hour to go :eek:

Hope everyone gets what they were after from todays events!

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
Used to be buy a Mac and get a free iPod nano, then it was the touch, then $100 on the Mac App Store.

It used to be buy a mac get $100 off, a free ipod (or similar credit to a higher priced iPod), AND a free printer, AND large discounts on software.

I think the discounts on software might still be there.

Rothgarr

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
$100...if I'm buying a $4k MBPro...I better get more then a $100 gift card. :)

First world problems...

If you can afford a $4,000 laptop for school surely you don't care about a gift card... You could always get a Dell...

Heyref

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Apple Store is down

Well, the Apple Store is down. So much for those who were saying there would be no new products,a minority I know, but I did see that voiced on one local SF teevee station last night.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
you still get the printer :p kind of lame that apple isn't offering an iPod though. Nobody wants them anymore, might as well get rid of stock.

There is no more free printer, that ended some time ago. I was quite psyched for that too believe it or not, as my not-too-old Epson bit the dust shortly before they announced the end of the promo. Ended up buying an HP with Airplay on my own dime.

It used to be buy a mac get $100 off, a free ipod (or similar credit to a higher priced iPod), AND a free printer, AND large discounts on software.

I think the discounts on software might still be there.

This is the first I'm hearing about large discounts on software. What sorts of titles, and how large are the discounts? (I'd head over to apple.com/store to check, but... :rolleyes:)

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
At the max this costs Apple $70 since they chop 30% off the top. Hopefully like last year Best Buy matches price and give a Best Buy gift card. I believe that's what the did last year. That's a far better deal for the consumer.

markintosh

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Funny

I like most of you were disappointed in the B2S last year (expected this year, but $50 on an iPad is great!).

However, look at the facts. Last year, Apple outsold Windows laptops nearly 2 to 1 for college students buying new laptops. That's the target for the B2S market. This deal is HUGE and costs Apple only $70 (which is great for me as a stockholder).

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Because chances are the new Macs won't be available until tomorrow. That's how it was last year with the MacBook Air. There were also no lines last year on July 21st, which I suspect will be the case this year, even though more lines are being updated. Apple sells as many iPads in one quarter as they do Macs in nearly one year now, so they are equipped to handle whatever demand comes in.

Makes sense. So would the Apple store come back up today with info, and then sales start tomorrow?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If I were buying a couple years ago as a student, I would have had a new machine, a student discount, an iPod Touch, and a free printer. Now I get a new machine, a student discount, and a piece of plastic that Apple will see a $30 return on. Awell.

You missed a few. It was a LARGER student discount as well. They have been cutting it does for years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.