Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Announces iOS 6 with Siri Improvements, Facebook Integration, New Maps App, Passbook for Fall Release

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced the next version of its operating system for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. iOS 6 will feature new functionality for Siri, Facebook integration, a revamped Maps app, Shared Photo Streams via iCloud, and more.
Quote:
iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software. "We can't wait for hundreds of millions of iOS users to experience the incredible new features in iOS 6 including the new Maps app, expanded Siri support, deep Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams and the innovative new Passbook app.
In iOS 6, Siri will gain new capabilities to provide sports scores and schedules, make restaurant reservations via OpenTable, find local movie listings and even launch apps. Siri will also debut in new languages including Spanish, Italian, and French.

Facebook integration will be much like the current Twitter integration in iOS 5 with a system-wide log-in and the ability to quickly post from within apps. Contacts can be updated automatically using information obtained through Facebook. Third-party developers will be able to add this functionality easily with a public API.

A new Do Not Disturb mode allows users to schedule when notifications should not cause any sounds or visual alerts. The iPhone's Phone app will get new options to reply with a text message or prompt a reminder to return a call later when an incoming call arrives.

Shared Photo Streams lets you choose photos to share with selected family and friends. Shared photos can be viewed by others on iOS devices, iPhoto and Aperture on a Mac, or on the web or through an Apple TV.

Passbook is a new wallet app that will consolidate payment cards and electronic tickets. For example, customers at Starbucks can make payments using their Gold Card through Passbook. Also, movie tickets purchased through Fandango can be redeemed through Passbook. Airline boarding passes and even sporting event tickets will be accessible through Passbook as well. A new API will offer developers access to Passbook.

As expected, Apple has revamped the Maps app with its own map data. It will offer integration with Yelp for business listings and traffic information sourced anonymously and in real-time from iOS users. Turn-by-turn navigation will also debut in the new Maps app and guidance can be triggered by Siri.

iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall. A beta will be available to developers today.

Article Link: Apple Announces iOS 6 with Siri Improvements, Facebook Integration, New Maps App, Passbook for Fall Release
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM   #2
jlblodgett
macrumors 6502a

What was the comment re: FaceTime over cellular?

On the livestream - it said "FaceTime over cellular!!"

But then it said "only available over WiFi"

Which is it?
jlblodgett is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
withasigh
macrumors newbie

Clock

In the photo it looks like there's a native clock app for iPad.
withasigh is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlblodgett View Post
What was the comment re: FaceTime over cellular?

On the livestream - it said "FaceTime over cellular!!"

But then it said "only available over WiFi"

Which is it?
Cellular and Wi-Fi:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/#facetime
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
wcuthbert
macrumors newbie

God dammit, my iPad 1 is just over 2 years old and they're already dropping support for it. Throw these new features in my face and then tell me I have to spend another $600 to get them.
wcuthbert is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

So does this mean Siri on my 4th Gen iphone?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM   #8
nickn
macrumors 6502

So it works on the slower 3GS, but not on the iPad 1? Ok, then..... I'm not too disappointed though, as iOS 6 doesn't appear to be bringing anything major to the OS anyways. Also, I find it very humorous that Apple shows charts about how Android is all fragmented, and how most users are on 2.3, but yet that is exactly what is going to happen to Apple themselves. Soon, you will still have some people on legacy devices using 3.1.3, more people on 2nd gen stuff on iOS 4, many newer devices left behind such as iPad 1 and 3rd gen Touch users on iOS 5, and the rest on iOS 6. How is that not fragmentation?

Last edited by nickn; Jun 11, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
nickn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM   #9
lilweeds
macrumors newbie

With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?
lilweeds is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
jasonxneo
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jasonxneo Send a message via Skype™ to jasonxneo
ios 6 has so many new things! its so great!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?
jayducharme is online now   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Pizzaboy13
macrumors newbie

Why the fall?

Why would apple release iOS 6 in the fall? Mountain lion is almost useless without the iOS 6 software released! Unless they are releasing another iOS 6 device in the fall (7inch iPad) they have no other reason besides testing time to wait. I say that they should test it, give developers a month, and release it alongside mountain lion.
Pizzaboy13 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Petty weak, IMO. Hopefully there are some good new APIs.

Besides, this is only half of iOS 6. Well find out the other half when the iPhone 5 is announced.
Saladinos is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
S3R6i0
macrumors member

And order of Reminders still cannot be changed...
S3R6i0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Well the difference is the iPhone 3GS is still currently being sold by Apple. The original iPad hasn't been sold for over a year.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM   #16
LightningIceFox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilweeds View Post
With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?
It seems according to apple's website its only supported on iPhone 4S and the new iPad (3rd Generation).

Edit:

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/siri/

See footnote at bottom of page.

Last edited by LightningIceFox; Jun 11, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added link.
LightningIceFox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM   #17
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

And now the interesting question: will Siri then come to other (older) devices too?

//It appears that someone was quicker than me. :-)
KALLT is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
wolfpackfan
macrumors 65816

What??? It runs on a 3GS but not my iPad 1??? This is ridiculous. My iPad 1 is only 2 years old. Talk about planned obsolescense.
wolfpackfan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
Quote:
nope. iPhone 4S and iPad 3 only
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #20
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

hmmm. not groundbreaking like I was hoping, but I'll stay positive until I try it out on the new iphones coming this fall.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #21
AuricBlue
macrumors newbie

No iPad 1 support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall.
The new iOS 6 features look nice. However, I am a little confused as to why the original iPad isn't supported when then iPhone 3GS is. The original iPad has the same amount of memory, the same graphics processor and a faster CPU.

The only reason I can think of them not allowing it is if iPad apps are more resource intensive with larger graphics etc. If it's just too poor of an experience, I can understand Apple not supporting iPad 1. I am hoping Apple will explain the reason though, as it's not terribly obvious.
AuricBlue is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #22
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No. See the bottom of this page:

*Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Pizzaboy13
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
Nope, read the footnote on http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/siri/

Now, go die in a hole with your outdated iphone
Pizzaboy13 is offline   -15 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #24
xforce11
macrumors member

Quote:
I hope it does. . . .but I doubt it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:21 PM   #25
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Glad I've got my dev license. If only I could get on there now, it's still down. The Maps app looks amazing.

Hoping that Siri comes to the iP4.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion