Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's new "Next Generation MacBook Pro" being the headliner in terms of new hardware introduction at WWDC, there is obviously considerable interest in how the new model compares with the previous design, which continues to be offered in both 13-inch and 15-inch sizes.

macbook_pro_2012.jpg

Engadget posts a brief hands-on with the new MacBook Pro fresh out of the box, showing how much slimmer the new form factor is than the standard MacBook Pro.
It's 0.71-inches thick, or roughly 25 percent thinner than the current generation Pros (which, by the way, live on -- except for the 17-incher). That's just .03-inches thicker than the 13-inch MacBook Air, but it feels like quite a bit more. Where the Air is tapered, this has a constant thickness throughout. So, again, it doesn't feel like an Air, but it's a big improvement over the Pro.

On the right side you have an SD card reader, full-size HDMI port and the first USB 3.0 port. (Which, by the way, is not blue -- Apple just made all the ports 3.0 and they're all naturally white.) On the other side is the other USB 3.0 port along with dual Thunderbolt ports, a headphone jack and the new MagSafe 2 connector.

The Next Generation MacBook Pro is currently available only as 15-inch model and is available starting at $2199.

Update: The Verge has also posted a gallery of hands-on photos of the new MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Early Hands-On Impression and Overview of Retina MacBook Pro

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Oh.... My.... God...

This laptop is everything I REALLY wanted.... Just not the pricing of it...

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I expect to see poor college kids with $2000+ macbook pros at Starbucks soon browsing for jobs.

The world we live in lol

Last edited by a moderator:

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
It may be retina, but isn't it still a 1440x900 workspace?

I stand corrected, it's not and you can scale it to pretty much whatever. Still no excuse for soldered SSD/RAM and a "PRO" machine.

Last edited:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Looks great but besides the retina display I am not sure if its that big of an improvement. Looking at the video - for sure it is thinner but not changing the world type of thinner and of course this can be achieved by dropping the ODD and HDD - not exactly rocket science.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I always find it humorous when people take photos with their iPad like those two people on the pic. I saw some folks recording an airshow I was at a few weeks ago with an iPad, and couldn't help but laugh. At least one guy brought along a DSLR.

Renzatic

Suspended
Hey look! People are taking pictures with their iPads! I thought no one did that!

You know, as one of loathed by everybody prosumer high end hobbyist types, I'm finding this new Macbook Pro to be about perfect for me. It's thin, light, snazzy, and yeah...I'm a sucker for some high DPI displays.

Hell, now I wish I waited for this instead of getting an iPad.

love-apple

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
what about 13 inch?

apple doesn't mention anything about the 13 inch ;:mad:
is it coming soon or what!!!!!!!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
How many seconds to 100° C?

My MacBook is hitting 5 years old. I am going to need to find a replacement from someone. I will keep the MacBook just to use Pages and Keynote '06 and as a file server. Still, no one deserves my money.

loderunner

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
netherlands
stop the scratching!

Will someone tell the engadget guy to NEVER, EVER, scratch two macbooks against each other like in this video?
I can feel it down my spine!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
After the ridiculously small Mac Pro update I couldn't care less.

3.541 seconds. 6.423 seconds to flash fry your cods.

You don't want to use this laptop on your lap, that's for sure.

What's the problem? Wouldn't you like it to be able to fry eggs on the go? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.