Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In its quest for thinness in the Retina Display MacBook Pro, Apple removed the optical drive and built the display into the unibody construction. The company's engineers also designed a new, thinner MagSafe power port to accommodate the notebook's 0.71" height.

magsafe2.jpg

The new MagSafe 2 connector -- which is incompatible with the original MagSafe power bricks as well as devices with a MagSafe power cord built into products like the Apple LED Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display -- is included in the new Retina MacBook Pro as well as the new MacBook Air models. It seems likely the port will make its way to the legacy MacBook Pro models in a future update.

Apple is selling a MagSafe to Magsafe 2 Converter for $9.99 on the Apple Online Store, as well as new 85W and 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter for $79 each.

Article Link: Retina Display MacBook Pro and New MacBook Air Includes Thinner MagSafe 2 Power Port

Last edited:

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Very happy (sort of)

I'm not happy they updated it, but I'm happy they are offering a $10 adaptor.

I keep MagSafe adaptors everywhere, I'm glad I don't have to replace them.

I'm sure I'll be losing the tiny adaptors too :(

Gary

v8raun

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
T-Shape not surprising

It's not very surprising for me, that they went back to the t-shape, because the L-shape adapters were only good for the original macbook air, they never worked very well on mbp's and new macbook airs. It was too easy to unplug them unintentionally because of the angle they got from the L-shape!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Interesting that they went back to the T-shape.

Didn't notice that before. My guess is because the flat design ends up defeating the purpose of magsafe - to protect your computer when you trip over your cord.

With the flat design it only really works when you are pulling the coord outward, if you go towards the machine it is coming off the desk. The t-shape handles this much better, and I bet with the extra thinness it does even better.

As long as they figured out the fraying problem with the T design...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have no need for the power really as I have a 27" iMac or for the size/weight of the new MacBook Pro (especially since no 13" was introduced), even though the screen is appealing, but I find it interesting that the words MacBook Pro no longer appear on the screen bezel. I think a 13" Air is the best companion for my portable needs right now, but I do like the black screen trim on the Pro vs. the all silver on the Air.

My comment has nothing to do with the power port. ;)

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Is the Magsafe 2 brick compatible with existing Magsafe computers?

I would guess that it is. Can anyone confirm?

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
My first thought is: they didn't update the Cinema Display with MagSafe 2. This goes against one of the advantages of the Cinema Display: reducing the number of wires on the desk.

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Thank god Apple always makes its products thinner, lighter and smaller with every update. So we have more space in our pockets for all the numerous adapters… :D ;)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Hopefully they were smart and made the magnet in the adapter stronger than the magnet in the laptop.

This way once you "convert" an old adapter to magsafe 2, you can pull the whole thing off your laptop without the magsafe 1 plug coming off the adapter.

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Doesn't look smaller

1) Looking at the close-up pics from TheVerge.com, itseems that the overall size is actually BIGGER... yeah it's a smidge thinner, but also a lot wider

2) I don't see how this gives any advantage in making the system thinner... they're already thinner than the USB and Thunderbold ports... so how does making the magsafe still smaller help any???

----------

Hopefully, they'll also come out with an adapter to go the other way around... that way when I buy the new mac and new adapters, I can use them with my old macs as well

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm really not seeing many benefits of this "new" design (T-shape was there originally and it got replaced because it wasn't optimal). How much thinner is it?

Not sure if I'm happy with this change.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
1) Looking at the close-up pics from TheVerge.com, itseems that the overall size is actually BIGGER... yeah it's a smidge thinner, but also a lot wider

2) I don't see how this gives any advantage in making the system thinner... they're already thinner than the USB and Thunderbold ports... so how does making the magsafe still smaller help any???

----------

Hopefully, they'll also come out with an adapter to go the other way around... that way when I buy the new mac and new adapters, I can use them with my old macs as well

1) It is actually overall smaller

Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 9.25.23 PM.png

2) Maybe it has something to do with the internals - the logic/ motherboard. Smaller parts inside to allow for better arrangement and more efficient use of space.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Interesting that they went back to the T-shape.

It appears they did it to not cut off the thunderbolt port right behind it (when connected wire-to-user). Which has actually been a problem for me in the past though not often.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Didn't notice that before. My guess is because the flat design ends up defeating the purpose of magsafe - to protect your computer when you trip over your cord.

With the flat design it only really works when you are pulling the coord outward, if you go towards the machine it is coming off the desk. The t-shape handles this much better, and I bet with the extra thinness it does even better.

As long as they figured out the fraying problem with the T design...

+1 on your theory. I've never liked the flat design and we've had a couple of close calls with my wife's 13" MBP almost coming off the table because the cord got yanked and the magsafe didn't disconnect. My older 15" MBP with the t design magsafe has never had that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.