Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Anyone notice how many of the new map features (point to point directions) were using Siri? Wonder if this means that the Iphone 4 will get Siri or if it means that none of the new driving directions and map features will be available in IOS6 for the Iphone 4.

Read the fine print for maps. Turn-by-turn not supported on the iPhone 4.
Well, they gotta give you some reasons for buying the new iPhone, when the old iPhone 4 is still a perfectly capable device and will, probably, not be that much different than what's introduced this Fall. Taller ain't that much better.

ndavid126

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
There are street level maps for South Africa - I've never been to Ghana or Togo so I can't confirm if those work too.
Well... how do the street names and business names compare to Google Maps. Plus are the 3D buildings available for everywhere or just select cities?

Last edited:

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Well... how do the street names and business names compare to Google Maps. Plus are the 3D buildings available for everywhere or just select cities>
Maps is definitely still in beta and the 3D doesn't appear to work in any major city I've tried - including NYC and London.

Only main roads and city names appear at first and as you zoom in the roads start to show. I prefer the Google way of doing this but I guess it will grow on me. I hope that Google will release a map app too.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Can someone check to see if 3D is available in Ghana or Togo? Also does turn by turn work outside the US?

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Can someone check to see if 3D is available in Ghana or Togo? Also does turn by turn work outside the US?
Turn by turn works in the UK. 3D works everywhere i.e. the map tilts but there are no 3D buildings/terrain that I can find anywhere

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
A guy/girl on Reddit named herpderp020 posted this about some small (And really good things in iOS 6).

I figured it would be nice to make a thread to share some hidden features or features that weren't really talked about iOS 6 Beta at WWDC. Some things I noticed:

Downloading an app no longer pushes you back to the home screen.
An app that has been updated will get a blue ribbon overlaid in the corner that says "New" (similar to a newsstand app).
In the app store if an app is already installed the button will say "Open" instead of "Installed" and pressing it will open the app on your phone.
In iMessage you can set the caller ID for replying and for starting a new conversation (they can be different).
Music app has been changed to look more like the iPad Music app.
iTunes/App Store apps have been changed.
The status bar changes blue/light gray now if the status bar of an app is blue/black respectively.
iPad gets a really nice default clock app.
You can choose to show an iMessage alert from everyone or just numbers/emails you have in your Contacts.app
Bluetooth on/off toggle now directly at the top of the Settings.app next to Wifi toggle
Edit:

Photos.app now uses a Photo Stream tab to access your photo stream instead of doing it as an album.
Share buttons now use a grid like way to select where you want to share (iMessage, email, twitter, facebook, etc) instead of popping up as a list.
In the iPad Clock app the temperature of a city shows up in the World Clocks view in addition to the time in that city.

verizoniphone4

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
If you are using iCloud in ios 6, you can sign in to the developer.icloud.com for those leaked features a few months back.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
A guy/girl on Reddit named herpderp020 posted this about some small (And really good things in iOS 6).

I figured it would be nice to make a thread to share some hidden features or features that weren't really talked about iOS 6 Beta at WWDC. Some things I noticed:

Downloading an app no longer pushes you back to the home screen.
An app that has been updated will get a blue ribbon overlaid in the corner that says "New" (similar to a newsstand app).
In the app store if an app is already installed the button will say "Open" instead of "Installed" and pressing it will open the app on your phone.
In iMessage you can set the caller ID for replying and for starting a new conversation (they can be different).
Music app has been changed to look more like the iPad Music app.
iTunes/App Store apps have been changed.
The status bar changes blue/light gray now if the status bar of an app is blue/black respectively.
iPad gets a really nice default clock app.
You can choose to show an iMessage alert from everyone or just numbers/emails you have in your Contacts.app
Bluetooth on/off toggle now directly at the top of the Settings.app next to Wifi toggle
Edit:

Photos.app now uses a Photo Stream tab to access your photo stream instead of doing it as an album.
Share buttons now use a grid like way to select where you want to share (iMessage, email, twitter, facebook, etc) instead of popping up as a list.
In the iPad Clock app the temperature of a city shows up in the World Clocks view in addition to the time in that city.

Thanks for posting this. I've bolded the ones I am most pleased to see. So glad the really annoying behaviour of returning to home screen when you download an app is gone! Also happy to see the share list has been updated as it was starting to look ugly with all the additions over the years.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
When you download a new app, it has a little NEW badge next to it, just like how newsstand does.

Clock app for iPad.

Settings app icon is different.

I think these have all been said, but that's all I've noticed so far

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA
To swipe between different lists in Reminders, you have to swipe the name of the list at the top, no more dots to represent pages (like springboard) anymore. Also the in-app "settings" type view is quite different, with a calendar at the bottom and the list of lists in the center.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Anyone notice how many of the new map features (point to point directions) were using Siri? Wonder if this means that the Iphone 4 will get Siri or if it means that none of the new driving directions and map features will be available in IOS6 for the Iphone 4.

It's just Siri's voice.. Not the entire feature silly! ;)

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Well... how do the street names and business names compare to Google Maps.

Doesn't look nearly as good as Google Maps. They spent a lot of time figuring out how to get the labels just right, what font size to use, and how to add emphasis with a border around the letters, and how to place the label to not obstruct important stuff. They are all very subtle techniques, but when you really compare how Google does it to other mapping services, (including the new iOS maps), Google labels are much, much better. Hopefully Apple will improve over time, but I will miss the clarity of Google maps, street view, and integrated walking/biking directions. Really hope they release an iOS app, but I doubt they will. Will probably just be an app that is a front end for the web version of google maps. :(

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Doesn't look nearly as good as Google Maps. They spent a lot of time figuring out how to get the labels just right, what font size to use, and how to add emphasis with a border around the letters, and how to place the label to not obstruct important stuff. They are all very subtle techniques, but when you really compare how Google does it to other mapping services, (including the new iOS maps), Google labels are much, much better. Hopefully Apple will improve over time, but I will miss the clarity of Google maps, street view, and integrated walking/biking directions. Really hope they release an iOS app, but I doubt they will. Will probably just be an app that is a front end for the web version of google maps. :(

I'm enjoying the Apple maps much more. Loads faster for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.