Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Last edited:

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Wow! 2880 by 1880! That's amazing! Better resolution that a Thunderbolt display! Just wow!

Here are the specs for Apple's 27-inch Thunderbolt Display for comparison:

27-inch (diagonal viewable image size) thin film transistor (TFT) active-matrix liquid crystal display (LCD) with in-plane switching (IPS)

Resolution: 2560 by 1440 pixels
Colors (maximum): 16.7 million
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Viewing angle: 178° horizontal; 178° vertical
Brightness: 375 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Response time: 12 ms​

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Question: Is this machine good enough to replace my 24" 2.4 GHz Al iMac?

Or am I going to miss those 9" of desktop I'll lose?

As pretty as it is, I just don't think I can justify purchasing it...

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
A very small and insignificant thing I noticed: the little dots on the background are pushed out. My dashboard background dots are pushed in.

The widgets are so nice and clear though. It's amazing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.19.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.19.00 PM.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 7,537
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 4.22.40 PM.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 7,532

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Question: Is this machine good enough to replace my 24" 2.4 GHz Al iMac?

Or am I going to miss those 9" of desktop I'll lose?

As pretty as it is, I just don't think I can justify purchasing it...

This machine is actually faster than the small iMac, plus the fact that it has SSD standard makes it a really reactive system.

The GPU is an improvement, while still being a mobile GPU, you won't be playing games at native resolution (but even top of the line single GPU cards would barely manage it), but for the rest it's fine.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I want a retina iMac now!!

I wanted one too!! (Or a mac mini with a gt650M ^^)

But seeing the meager update to the MacPro, the iMac upgrade might be a little beefier in order to offer an alternative to the pro line... Retina iMac? Anyone?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
A very small and insignificant thing I noticed: the little dots on the background are pushed out. My dashboard background dots are pushed in.

i think its just the brain playing tricks on you

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Nice. However, I won't be getting a retina display capable computer until they release retina Cinema Displays - since getting my iPad I only use my MacBook Pro once a week for meetings.

tokyorose

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Does anyone know if there is anyway to disable the pixel doubling?

I have great eyesight and my work requires a lot of desktop space. If I could use the existing applications at the full res it would greatly increase my productivity on laptops where I typically find it very difficult to work.

I plan on buying one in the next few days, after deciding against an iMac -- which I was hoping would get to 4k+ -- but this would be a big influence in which I purchase.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ordered this guy today. Best case scenario it will be here in 9 days. Worst case is 13. BTO 2.6 512 16. Can't wait! This is going to be great for design and photography. Excited that CS6 and Coda 2 will support retina out of the gate.

ken94538

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Nice. However, I won't be getting a retina display capable computer until they release retina Cinema Displays - since getting my iPad I only use my MacBook Pro once a week for meetings.

Same here. I will wait for a 27" retina display.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Got mine too late. Already 7-10 days till shipping...arhhh if they come out in store I am gonna return the one I ordered online and buy from store!!

CoolCatGee

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008

On 10.8 it looks the same, light up top and dark on the bottom of the circles...

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Does anyone know if there is anyway to disable the pixel doubling?

I have great eyesight and my work requires a lot of desktop space. If I could use the existing applications at the full res it would greatly increase my productivity on laptops where I typically find it very difficult to work.

Apps like video and photo editing should use 1:1 pixels by default (once they are Retina-enabled). For text, just choose a smaller font size for the editor/browser/terminal. About the only thing that cannot be easily un-doubled are UI elements like buttons and palettes.

deecasey

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
For anyone still even using Dashboard on default as a space is crazy, you can revert it back to Snow Leopard-styled sitting on-top of the desktop in your Preferences > Mission Control lol

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Ordered this guy today. Best case scenario it will be here in 9 days. Worst case is 13. BTO 2.6 512 16. Can't wait! This is going to be great for design and photography. Excited that CS6 and Coda 2 will support retina out of the gate.

Great for design?

I think it's going to be painful to design with unless it's print work. Web is going to be tough to get used to.

Read more here
http://d.pr/n/I7Wt/91DPmWQz

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This machine is actually faster than the small iMac, plus the fact that it has SSD standard makes it a really reactive system.

The GPU is an improvement, while still being a mobile GPU, you won't be playing games at native resolution (but even top of the line single GPU cards would barely manage it), but for the rest it's fine.

That's fine and all, but I didn't say I needed a faster computer. Until SCII:HoTS or HL2:E3 come out and require a faster computer, I'm just fine with this one speed wise.

What I'm asking about is the screen. How noticeable will it be if I swap out my iMac's 24" for this thing's 15"? I suspect that, pretty as it is, I'll definitely miss the real estate I'll lose. I enjoy having two Xcode projects + documentation + Safari with a bunch of tabs open all visible at once and not overlapping. This is doable without having the screen feel too cramped on my iMac. On this new MacBook Pro, I suspect it'll feel very cramped.

tokyorose

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Apps like video and photo editing should use 1:1 pixels by default (once they are Retina-enabled). For text, just choose a smaller font size for the editor/browser/terminal. About the only thing that cannot be easily un-doubled are UI elements like buttons and palettes.

I think you misunderstood my question. I want to use OLD apps - without Retina-enabled functionality - specifically for the advantage of having all of the ui elements at half the size and a very large desktop. These are not apple apps.

Simply I just don't want apple to double the pixels for non retina enabled apps -- optionally of course as most people will want the pixels doubled. I want the buttons and interface tiny as if it were just a regular hi res screen.

Once the are Retina-enabled the whole point is lost and the screen adds no functionality for my uses just aesthetic eye candy which I can do with out.

Is that possible?

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
I want the buttons and interface tiny as if it were just a regular hi res screen.

No, I understood your question. There might be a developer/unofficial tool/hack to turn off HiDPI support, but I haven't heard of one yet. Give it a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.