Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage11.png
According to New York Times technology columnist David Pogue, Apple still believes in desktop Macs, including both the iMac and the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro in particular has raised the ire of some Apple fans because it has been several years since the last update, and the update today was extremely minor.

Pogue writes:
Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013.
Updated Xeon E5 chips were released in March, but the Mac Pro update released today strangely didn't include them.

The company late last year was reportedly "questioning" the future of the Mac Pro line, examining whether it should continue offering the professional-level workstation as sales have declined amid a continued shift toward notebook machines and specs that had gone stale while waiting for Intel to release updated processors. With Pogue's post today, however, the future of the Mac Pro seems slightly more assured.

Thanks Susan!

Update: A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Article Link: David Pogue: New iMacs and Mac Pros Coming 'Probably in 2013' [Update]

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure that quote is only referring to the Pros being updated next year.

Dear god I would hope the iMacs aren't scheduled for 2013.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
What a massive load of hairy horsecrap. What possible reason would Apple have to wait that bloody long? The parts are available! It's possible that the Mac Pro is waiting on the availability of GTX 670/680 parts in sufficient quantities, but the iMac? There's no reason for it to wait that long. I give it a couple of months, tops.

Also, what the hell was "new" about the Mac Pro today?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
The upgrade was minimal. I am keeping my current machine for sure.
Too bad, at least it was an update, so there is hope they won't kill it for good. At least for awhile. :rolleyes:

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Really?

2013?! Would that be Dec.31st? Got to be kidding me. MacPro's may die from underexposure regardless of what Apple does.

subcritical71

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Apple has Mac Pro listed as NEW

I haven't kept up with the Mac Pros since buying mine in 2008, but the Apple site has a NEW tag next to the Mac Pros today!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Another 12-18mo for the Mac Pro herd to thin out even more so Apple can eventually say, 'Well, there's just not enough demand so it's not fiscally responsible to keep manufacturing and offering Mac Pros."

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I'll bet we'll see refreshed Mac Mini's and iMac with IvyBridge with the release of Mountain Lion in July.. Just a silent update and specc bump, nothing special but I wouldn't believe neither the Mac Mini nor the iMac will see IvyBridge at all.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If it is true that Apple is holding off until a new hardware design for the Mac Pro is ready, then it is understandable that they wouldn't want to waste R&D on a new logic board on the latest crop of Intel processors. However, unfortunately Intel doesn't usually drop the prices on previous generation processors much if at all so Apple didn't have many options if they wanted to introduce an update that used the same type of processors but didn't decrease their profit margins.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Is he trolling? Mac Pros are well overdue and now iMac's are really lagging behind too.

I need a couple of iMac's for work but I really grudge paying top dollar for year old hardware.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Well, I was hoping for more today on the Mac Pro line. But, I was considering a 3.33 six-core before the updates and at least that has dropped in price. Before the updates the 3.33 six-core BTO option was another $1200 and now it is $500. That's $700 less and I am definitely considering it.

I have many other Macs and even an earlier Mac Pro. But I think it may be time for another purchase. Again though, I was hoping for a bit more.

IronManJFF

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Anyone noticed

If you go to the new MacPro on Apple Store and hit compare .. it compares the new MacPro to the iMac 27" but it if you look at that iMac specs .. it does not exists ... yet ....

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Is Apple the only PC vendor that does not have IvyBridge desktops? Macs have always been behind their PC counterparts spec-wise but this is getting ridiculous.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
You know what would instill faith? APPLE telling pro users that they will continue to support them. Its not like that information would benefit the competitors to any significant degree, and I'm positive it would put the minds of those who DEPEND on this tool for a living, at ease.

Getting this info exclusively from third parties borders on insulting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.