Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacForum55

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
If you go to the new MacPro on Apple Store and hit compare .. it compares the new MacPro to the iMac 27" but it if you look at that iMac specs .. it does not exists ... yet ....

That is interesting... Checked it out after you're post. However it lists a lot of seemingly old parts besides the 6GB RAM which seemed pretty weird.

I'm guessing they haven't updated that page in a while and that they made an error typing the processor and RAM moreso than thats the specs of the new iMac as that would really underwhelm most purchasers and than what is the point of not releasing it today?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
If the iMac is on a 5 year update cycle than 5 years from November of 2009 is November of 2014 or there a bouts. It's likely that there will be incremental updates before then.

If it takes that long the iMac update should be amazing. Retina display, SSD + HDD standard, larger display, thinner body, more power, more ram, more microphones, there are so many possibilities.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
I think the Mac Pro will get Thunderbolt as soon as a PCIe Thunderbolt card comes out for Windows PCs.

Unfortunately, there isn't going to be standard PCIe thunderbolt cards. It's not a technical limitation. You can route a Thunderbolt controller through PCIe, but Intel is pushing it as a motherboard component. You're only going to see manufacturers building it into the motherboard. Asus is making an 'upgrade' PCIe thunderbolt card for a few select motherboards. Though it also requires wiring it into the onboard video. Not an elegant 'Apple-like' solution.

As an aside, I was planning on upgrading from my '08 MP if we saw a new thunderbolt model with upgraded CPU and GPU's. Now, I'll just invest in a modest GPU upgrade for my MP and wait Apple out. With this update, I don't think whatever comes out next will be a strait MP replacement. We'll see.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
A spec bump to the iMac and Mac Mini are still likely to happen this year I would imagine...likely this summer.

The redesigned Retina Display iMac and redesigned Mac Pro are probably farther off, and that makes sense for next year.

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I heard that the iMacs and MacPro would be updated sometime before the end of 2020.

/sarcasm

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
"With Pogue's post today, however, the future of the Mac Pro seems slightly more assured."

Assured only for the hold-out fanboys who need to continue "to believe". I mean, come on, a two-year-old video card? It takes that much work to support a current card in order to get Apple's biggest, toughest, pro computer through another year?

Where are the high-end six-core and dual six-core options? The only that that the Mac Pro got was cheaper to buy. That's exactly what should happen to outdated technology being sold to clear inventory.

It's so clear that light-weight computers that high-school kids can talk to are where Apple's head is at right now.

Those high school kids buying near-$3000 laptops with up to 16GB of RAM and Thunderbolt peripherals are everywhere nowadays--so annoying. :rolleyes:

Eh, mine still works like a charm and its a 2010 model. Amazingly fast, just like day 1.

It is unfortunate for those waiting to buy but the new price drops will be helpful to some.

Some sanity and perspective! How refreshing. :)

aaaaaaron

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Mac Pro 2013

Ivy Processor (Quad-core)
Super Slim
6 GB RAM (Not user upgradable)
2 256GB SSD Standard, with 4 slots available (Can be upgraded to 768GB per slot, but not user upgradable)
4 Thunderbolt Ports
3 USB 3 Ports
Bluetooth 4
No Firewire (Adaptor available for $50)
No Ethernet (Adaptor available for $50)
OSX 10.9 Jungle Cat
Requires Retina Monitor (OSX 10.9 and up)

....will probably be awesome :rolleyes:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Apple is just trying to get the entire pro community on the same update cycle. That way, they know the entire base will upgrade with each update. Nothing like a little cynicism in the evening.

To be honest though, I wouldn't mind seeing apple combine the iMac and the Mac pro into a single desktop line. With thunderbolt, the reasoning of combining the display and computer doesn't really exist anymore.

GL

turboblake

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
What bothers me is if we have to wait until 2013 for a big redesign, then many of the components will most likely not be backwards compatible. That means that I will never get to update the POS graphics card that I currently have (Well its outdated thats for sure). Honestly, would it be so hard to just update the Graphics cards and allow some USB 3 cards to be installed?

Last edited:

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
Really it is quite sad, Apple should not even put a new badge on the mac pro with old hardware. But as others have said they are probably waiting for ivy xeons so they could do USB 3.0. It would look bad (as it already does) to have a laptop with better hardware than desktop, so they did not bother put much R&D into the update.

I think they should continue to drop the prices to make up for it.

On the other hand a high end Mac Pro is still about 2x as fast as a even new MBP. And you can put a GPU in there that would still clobber the even new MBP. like a GTX 580.

High end Geekbench Scores are still over 20k and that is plenty fast to keep up with any desktop i7. But they are a bit expensive I would say given their aged technology.

If they wiat till ivy bridge for a substantial update, it will not be a mistake.

Mostly Intel is holding up the show. But Apple should be embarrased to suggest their Mac Pros are new.

But some1 suggested Mac Pros be made slimmer...
I think the whole point of Mac Pros is the Tower build.
Apple needs a Tower. Towers allow expandability, slimming it down would defeat the purpose.

Meanwhile yall should just build a Hackintosh.

zemoleman

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Yonkers, NY
If Pogue is accurate then these had better be laser-like utensils as opposed to the sporks that were dropped on us today. No excuse for Tim Cook/Apple not giving us whatever they are planning TODAY.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
The iMac used to be the crown jewel of Apple's empire and now, after 405 days since the last refresh, we can't even get a full-sized keyboard as a minor update.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I hope so, otherwise Apple may lose people to even more Hackintoshes for powerful/pro machines.

I'm also in hopes that Apple will make their 27" thunderbolt display a retina display soon, although I could see where that would be mighty expensive.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I hope so, otherwise Apple may lose people to even more Hackintoshes for powerful/pro machines.

I'm also in hopes that Apple will make their 27" thunderbolt display a retina display soon, although I could see where that would be mighty expensive.

nahhh... :rolleyes:

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Well the people that are going to need it, will buy it.

The new MacBook Pro with the Ivy Bridge is going to be nearly as fast as a Mac Pro, and Thunderbolt ports cover pretty much every common IO standard.

There are very few specific features that the mac pros have that macbook pro's don't have, such as video interfaces, but i suspect that even those are going to move to a Thunderbolt adapter eventually. Even RAID is done through thunderbolt now, so you won't need a Mac Pro for that.

Really, very few people actually need Mac Pros.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Really it is quite sad, Apple should not even put a new badge on the mac pro with old hardware. But as others have said they are probably waiting for ivy xeons so they could do USB 3.0. It would look bad (as it already does) to have a laptop with better hardware than desktop, so they did not bother put much R&D into the update.

I think they should continue to drop the prices to make up for it.

On the other hand a high end Mac Pro is still about 2x as fast as a even new MBP. And you can put a GPU in there that would still clobber the even new MBP. like a GTX 580.

High end Geekbench Scores are still over 20k and that is plenty fast to keep up with any desktop i7. But they are a bit expensive I would say given their aged technology.

If they wiat till ivy bridge for a substantial update, it will not be a mistake.

Mostly Intel is holding up the show. But Apple should be embarrased to suggest their Mac Pros are new.

But some1 suggested Mac Pros be made slimmer...
I think the whole point of Mac Pros is the Tower build.
Apple needs a Tower. Towers allow expandability, slimming it down would defeat the purpose.

Meanwhile yall should just build a Hackintosh.

They updated the RAM that was big update. The CPU was update a bit but not that much just slight update.

The video card and hard-drive stay the same.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Honestly, would it be so hard to just update the Graphics cards and allow some USB 3 cards to be installed?

Actually, that is one thing I'm keeping my eye on. Now with OSX natively supporting USB 3.0 with the new Macbook models, I think it's just a matter of time till we see more Mac compatible USB 3.0 cards. If this happens, I see throwing one in my MP to get a little more life out of it.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think Apple are going to see the reaction to the new Retina MB Pro's BEFORE updating the rest of the range, why else has it launched only one machine with the screen, it could have easily implemented it into the 13" Pro and the Air's.

So I think next year, we will see totally redesigned iMacs with retina and flash storage and a totally redesigned Mac Pro with some tasty options and retina cinema display's. And imagine a Mac Pro with SSD's as standard?

Although I do feel sorry for the current Pro owners, it would have been good for Apple to launch options to 16 core machines? But maybe the new one is such a new design that's why they have done such a soft update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.