Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
when did they stop offering Raid as a BTO option?
That ind of sucks, though of course I can just buy a raid card.
I was really hoping for something compelling to upgrade to.
oh well.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Another 12-18mo for the Mac Pro herd to thin out even more so Apple can eventually say, 'Well, there's just not enough demand so it's not fiscally responsible to keep manufacturing and offering Mac Pros."

I think this is called a "self-fulfilling prophesy" - neglect the system to the point that nobody wants it, then cancel it because "it's not selling".

Or they are waiting for Ivy Bridge Xeons due in 2013 to include native USB 3.0.

I would hope not, since it would be easy to find the fraction of a cm² needed for a discrete USB 3.0 controller (or two) on the humonguous logic boards of the Mac Pro.

No excuse for still shipping that video card in this "update.". None.

More than anything else, using the 5770 is a signal that the Mac Pro is dead.

Unfortunately, MacRumours reset the clock in the buying guide to "0 days since update" - when in fact March 2009 was the last significant upgrade to the MP.

Here's the link to David Pogue's post:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/an-explanation-of-the-news-from-apple/

The article is weak and reads like an Apple press release.

Is that all the New York Times can afford as a columnist: an Apple mouthpiece?

He's a leg humping evangelist masquerading as a tame journo.
Nobody takes him or his flagrant PR propaganda seriously.

+100

Pogue's rabid devotion even embarrases the Apple fans....

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
If you go to the new MacPro on Apple Store and hit compare .. it compares the new MacPro to the iMac 27" but it if you look at that iMac specs .. it does not exists ... yet ....

Good catch... I wonder if and when they will release this specs bump of the basic 27" iMac model?

EDIT: Read another post that said those were 2010 specs? Huh? If so, who the heck works on Apple's website to miss that glaring error?!
/
/
/

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Not in the next few days after WWDC, nor during WWDC, but quite commonly during the next few weeks. If you're in the market for an iMac, I recommend you hold off until you absolutely can't do without one.

Having siad that, the current iMacs are powerhouses, so you'll be OK either way.
I've waited a while, only good thing is I can save up some more money.

Right now I hope the predictions of a release with Mountain Lion comes true. I can live with the current design but would dearly love USB3 and a matt screen.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
He did it!! He REALLY did it!!

Steve Jobs found a way to take Apple with him.

Now THAT'S visionary genius.

:apple:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Right now I hope the predictions of a release with Mountain Lion comes true. I can live with the current design but would dearly love USB3 and a matt screen.

You can forget about an iMac with a matte screen. I guarantee you that will not happen anytime soon, if ever.

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
You could have a monster of a PC for $2500

or buy a Mac Pro and get ATI Radeon HD 5770 that was released in Oct 13, 2009

Pablocine

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
It will need an explanation

To believe this, first I´d like to have Apple CEO Tim Cooks explain what he meant by:"We are making successful products in the post PC era". Phrase that he repeated more than five times in the Special Apple Event, March 2012.

Please, talk to us.

Sincerely,

Pablo

P.D. Just watch the first minutes on this link to hear that phrase repeatedly.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/123pibhargjknawdconwecown/event/index.html

Doug183

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Here is a very strange idea. Do you think Apple has an ace up their sleeve in the area of super fast computing? That next year they are going to release something radical, something much much faster? A whole new architecture of like 15 Arm11 chips in parallel or something of the like. I read an article in Scientific America about splitting up the CPU and putting different parts on the RAM boards which would make computers much much faster.

Look at the assortment of facts.

1) Intel has basically dropped the ball on the development of server chips. That is no SandyBridge server chips, and 12 months later finally an Ivy Bridge one. Remember what happened the last time a chip manufacturer couldn't keep up with Apple (IBM - PPC)

2) Six core Nehlam is slower but on par with i7 both Sandy and Ivy. - read #3

3) Although more cores are good, more than 4 are basically pointless unless you use one of a few high end programs that utilize these cores - AE, FCPX, Maya, AutoCad, 3D Modeling, Logic/Pro Tools... etc. Looking at benchmarks for rendering, the 12 core Nehlam machines still outpace everything else.

4) Back to processor speed. Advancement in speed over the last 4-5 years has lagged in terms of computers getting faster. Look at the MacPro rendering scores and you will see a lot of the speed increases are due to motherboard architecture change and graphic cards rather than actual processors changes.

5) So if you are into high-end rendering, the 12 core machine with a good graphics cards is going to be good enough for now.

6) With the release of the laptop Ivy Bridge and Mountain Lion, the hackintosh market is going to go into overdrive. Why will Apple let that happen?

7) The costs of developing a new motherboard and processor for the MacPro would be minimal since they already are releasing Ivy Bridge laptops. ANd they could just recycle the old boxes.

With that all said, why wouldn't Apple just release a new i7 Xeon machine? I actually can not think of any good reason. So there must be some other explanation. I wonder what it is.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
You know nothing... Just conjecture... Go ahead fanny boy, stick your butt in the air. Me, I'm not going to let Apple screw me. My business, as do my competitors, need all the power we can get. I cannot afford to not move to BOXX as many of my competitors have already abandoned Apple. I need to stay on the cutting edge of technology, the cutting edge which Apple appears to have abandoned. Sorry if you live in La La land.

Your eloquence is impressive.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Well said. I would love to know how many of the complainers on the forum today actually need a machine more powerful than the current Mac Pro. My guess is... one or two, at most. Probably fewer. ;-)

Then there are all the people decrying the (non)end of the MP, who could never afford to buy one anyway.

I'm tired of the complainers complaining about the justifiable neglect given to the prosumer line.

As AidenShaw just commented:

I think this is called a "self-fulfilling prophesy" - neglect the system to the point that nobody wants it, then cancel it because "it's not selling".

Spot on.

Move on.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Getting this info exclusively from third parties borders on insulting.

What is insulting is all these Pros who talk about they have been with Apple for years forgetting that no advance info is Apple's standard, for consumer stuff also. And many consumers aren't keen to get a computer and then 2 months later there's a new one.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversink
You know nothing... Just conjecture... Go ahead fanny boy, stick your butt in the air. Me, I'm not going to let Apple screw me. My business, as do my competitors, need all the power we can get. I cannot afford to not move to BOXX as many of my competitors have already abandoned Apple. I need to stay on the cutting edge of technology, the cutting edge which Apple appears to have abandoned. Sorry if you live in La La land.

Your eloquence is impressive.

It isn't eloquent when the money you have invested in the tools becomes so outdated, and the company you have come to trust, abandons you to the wolves. There is nothing eloquent about what Apple just did to the Mac Amateur (the s0-called upgrade of the Mac Pro.) This machine is so far behind HP or BOXX....

I love the Apple OS, but I need a machine that can keep up with my workload and compete in the not-so-eloquent business world.....

Sorry if that offends you...

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012

Going by the new MBP Retina screen, I suspect future glass-display Macs will have "reduced glare" at least, if not matte, as such. Can't wait for the new iMac--probably my next machine (as much as I'm drooling over that new MBP).

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
Richard Feynman concluded his appendix to the report on the Challenger loss by writing: “For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.” How is this relevant here? It's because it points to the window into Apple that ‘doubling down on secrecy’ can't cover. It got little attention here (only 30 comments) but 10.7.3 exposed the passwords of users with networked home folders. A catastrophic security hole with a one-line fix, reported within days but left untouched until the media started picking up on it three months later, shows exactly where Apple chooses not to spend its billions.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Who would seriously wait a total of 3 years for a proper update?! At this point, if Apple really wants to keep the pro market, they need to do a press release.

Raineer

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Because they can. Apple has masterfully put themselves in a position of ultimate power & they relish using it.

Yes - that's exactly what I picture. A scene with folks like Cheney and Bush smoking cigars around a table in a darkened room. Gutteral guffaws echo throughout the chamber as they play with figurines of loyal Apple customers, they make them cry tiny tears as they install matching polarity magnets in little Mac Pro figurines. All the customers run and run but can't catch them :( GUFFAWS ALL AROUND.

sadface

retard

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Here is a very strange idea. Do you think Apple has an ace up their sleeve in the area of super fast computing? That next year they are going to release something radical, something much much faster? A whole new architecture of like 15 Arm11 chips in parallel or something of the like. I read an article in Scientific America about splitting up the CPU and putting different parts on the RAM boards which would make computers much much faster.

Look at the assortment of facts.

1) Intel has basically dropped the ball on the development of server chips. That is no SandyBridge server chips, and 12 months later finally an Ivy Bridge one. Remember what happened the last time a chip manufacturer couldn't keep up with Apple (IBM - PPC)

2) Six core Nehlam is slower but on par with i7 both Sandy and Ivy. - read #3

3) Although more cores are good, more than 4 are basically pointless unless you use one of a few high end programs that utilize these cores - AE, FCPX, Maya, AutoCad, 3D Modeling, Logic/Pro Tools... etc. Looking at benchmarks for rendering, the 12 core Nehlam machines still outpace everything else.

4) Back to processor speed. Advancement in speed over the last 4-5 years has lagged in terms of computers getting faster. Look at the MacPro rendering scores and you will see a lot of the speed increases are due to motherboard architecture change and graphic cards rather than actual processors changes.

5) So if you are into high-end rendering, the 12 core machine with a good graphics cards is going to be good enough for now.

6) With the release of the laptop Ivy Bridge and Mountain Lion, the hackintosh market is going to go into overdrive. Why will Apple let that happen?

7) The costs of developing a new motherboard and processor for the MacPro would be minimal since they already are releasing Ivy Bridge laptops. ANd they could just recycle the old boxes.

With that all said, why wouldn't Apple just release a new i7 Xeon machine? I actually can not think of any good reason. So there must be some other explanation. I wonder what it is.

What are the performance of the current Mac Pro or old Mac Pro compare to competitors? Some mentioned that would move to HP Z820.

I do understand that this update is not fair, but can anyone could tell me how the two compare in performance? I'm talking real numbers. I don't know, rendering or whatever else you find more comfortable to show. I just want to understand as I'm not into professional softwares.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
We can only hope

We can only hope the Apple continues to want to serve the developer and professional community ... not just the prosumers and college kids building one iPad app, but serious pros.

If that's the case, then the only hope is that the MacPro and iMacs will be completely rethought with that service in mind - case design, processor choices, modularity, etc. The extant MacPro design isn't really much different than an old G3 tower, except it's metal and looks like a cheese grater.

"And and now, something completely different!"

"Think Different"

Eddie O

PS: I just bought the 6 processor MacPro - couldn't keep running the old G5 quad any more. Can't run any new apps, etc. Did save money compared to last week, though.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Another 12-18mo for the Mac Pro herd to thin out even more so Apple can eventually say, 'Well, there's just not enough demand so it's not fiscally responsible to keep manufacturing and offering Mac Pros."
I would totally not be surprised if that's what their plan is here. Today's announcement was all about MOBILE stuff. All the portable computers. The Mac Pro got a tiny bump, and NO love was given to the iMac OR the Mac Mini!

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012

It isn't eloquent when the money you have invested in the tools becomes so outdated, and the company you have come to trust, abandons you to the wolves. There is nothing eloquent about what Apple just did to the Mac Amateur (the s0-called upgrade of the Mac Pro.) This machine is so far behind HP or BOXX....

I love the Apple OS, but I need a machine that can keep up with my workload and compete in the not-so-eloquent business world.....

Sorry if that offends you...

It doesn't offend me at all. I honestly hope you find the machine you need, and I understand that it's disappointing you won't be using OSX (unless you build a Hackintosh). But Apple isn't screwing you. They're just doing what they do: running their company the way they want to run it. It may be disappointing to you, but Apple doesn't owe you anything. They're not in the business of disappointing their customers, but they can't let their customers, especially a small number of them, dictate their product line. That would be corporate suicide. And finally, Apple is still very much leading the computer world in tech, but their advancements are just not ones that interest you so much.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The company late last year was reportedly "questioning" the future of the Mac Pro line, examining whether it should continue offering the professional-level workstation as sales have declined amid a continued shift toward notebook machines and specs that had gone stale while waiting for Intel to release updated processors. With Pogue's post today, however, the future of the Mac Pro seems slightly more assured.

Also if this statement is true, then I seriously doubt 6 months is enough time for Apple to heavily invest in a totally new redesigned Mac Pro! Again hence the story of next year being the year it gets updated.
Apple cannot make another classic case design in a few months that will last years, I mean with the current one you have the case and motherboard being bespoke to each other.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Too bad they dont drop the price to reflect the old hardware lol

They basically did. With the exception of the entry level model, you're getting a lot more processor for the money. Yesterday the 12 core model was $5K, today it's $3800 and comes with double the RAM.

I would have loved to see a massive update to the Pro just like everyone else, but the reality is that the options available from Intel right now aren't going to allow it. Yes, there is a newer processor option available that could work for a single processor option, but to get the same in a dual socket model would be exorbitantly expensive.

Add to that, they're Sandy Bridge generation processors. They'll support Thunderbolt, but not USB 3.0. Who in their right mind is going to spend thousands more and still not have USB 3.0? Especially when the rest of the Mac lineup has it.

Thunderbolt is a great thing, but the Mac Pro (while being a professional machine) is the one computer Apple makes that needs it the least. The majority of the peripherals on the market right now are (expensive) hubs that give laptops and iMacs the I/O options that the Mac Pro already has. Would it be nice? Sure. Is it worth an extra $1K-$2K? Nope.

At the end of the day, I don't see that moving to Sandy Bridge E chips is really going to offer that much to the Mac Pro. Yes, there's a speed increase, but is it enough to justify the cost? For all but the handful of people that need the absolute fastest machine possible, no.

Instead, what we got was a confirmation that the line isn't being killed. The lower tiered options are still available. The high tiered options got a major price cut.

This isn't an insult. A price increase and a bunch of pomp around a still deficient upgrade to Sandy Bridge would have been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.