Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
We can only hope the Apple continues to want to serve the developer and professional community ... not just the prosumers and college kids building one iPad app, but serious pros.

If that's the case, then the only hope is that the MacPro and iMacs will be completely rethought with that service in mind - case design, processor choices, modularity, etc. The extant MacPro design isn't really much different than an old G3 tower, except it's metal and looks like a cheese grater.

"And and now, something completely different!"

"Think Different"

Eddie O

PS: I just bought the 6 processor MacPro - couldn't keep running the old G5 quad any more. Can't run any new apps, etc. Did save money compared to last week, though.

I don't know about the iMac (because really, it is just a cinema display with a computer in it...not much to rethink) but the Mac Pro, yes, they are probably completely rethinking it. Whether that is good or not is another question (a lot of people hated Final Cut Pro X). I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something more modular and takes advantage of Thunderbolt beyond "here is a port that can replace firewire, display port, and ethernet". What sucks is that if they really are doing this they won't tell us until it is nearly ready to ship if not shipping. After the insanely bad "update" that happened today they could start hemorrhaging customers. They need more than to have one of their approved outlets repeat an empty statement. They, frankly, need to do a Back to the Mac style event but for the desktop hardware (it killed the "Apple doesn't care about Macs" meme and now we're left with "Apple doesn't care about Pros/desktop" meme).

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
They basically did. With the exception of the entry level model, you're getting a lot more processor for the money. Yesterday the 12 core model was $5K, today it's $3800 and comes with double the RAM.

I would have loved to see a massive update to the Pro just like everyone else, but the reality is that the options available from Intel right now aren't going to allow it. Yes, there is a newer processor option available that could work for a single processor option, but to get the same in a dual socket model would be exorbitantly expensive.

Add to that, they're Sandy Bridge generation processors. They'll support Thunderbolt, but not USB 3.0. Who in their right mind is going to spend thousands more and still not have USB 3.0? Especially when the rest of the Mac lineup has it.

Thunderbolt is a great thing, but the Mac Pro (while being a professional machine) is the one computer Apple makes that needs it the least. The majority of the peripherals on the market right now are (expensive) hubs that give laptops and iMacs the I/O options that the Mac Pro already has. Would it be nice? Sure. Is it worth an extra $1K-$2K? Nope.

At the end of the day, I don't see that moving to Sandy Bridge E chips is really going to offer that much to the Mac Pro. Yes, there's a speed increase, but is it enough to justify the cost? For all but the handful of people that need the absolute fastest machine possible, no.

Instead, what we got was a confirmation that the line isn't being killed. The lower tiered options are still available. The high tiered options got a major price cut.

This isn't an insult. A price increase and a bunch of pomp around a still deficient upgrade to Sandy Bridge would have been.

Very smart observations, IMO.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
less than two years is not several.

In the computer industry, it's an eternity.

But there's no surprise here. The desktop is dead. Just like DVD drives. We're supposed to use their mobile gadgets, their iTunes supply chain and their iCloud. Really, there's nothing surprising here at all.

Apple focuses exclusively on consumers now. If you're not in that target audience, you should find a new supplier.

Instead, what we got was a confirmation that the line isn't being killed. The lower tiered options are still available. The high tiered options got a major price cut.

The German word for a product that is being treated like this is "Auslaufmodell". I don't care to look up an English translation, but feel free to visit dict.leo.org to find one.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I think people switched from the Mac Pro because Apple never updated it. When you leave a computer un-updated for so long, of course you are going to get decreased sales!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
By that time it will be released as a Retro-Apple bijou. I remember when Apple developed pro Macs, too... that was so "last decade".

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

But there's no surprise here. The desktop is dead. Just like DVD drives. We're supposed to use their mobile gadgets, their iTunes supply chain and their iCloud. Really, there's nothing surprising here at all.

Apple focuses exclusively on consumers now. If you're not in that target audience, you should find a new supplier.

Oh stop with this nonsense. Before the new Macbook Air everyone was calling iOS the death of the Macintosh. Now that we have the more consumer ready Air and the flagship Macbook Pro you've just taken the same meme and put on "*Except the Macbook Air and Pro" on the end of it. The statement is just as silly then as it is now.

And again, what is Apple doing with the Mac Pro? Beats me. My pet theory is they'll kill it and replace it with something completely different (they're putting a lot of effort into the Mini for whatever reason). But that is just me.

Desktop ≠ Optical drives and Hard drives just like Desktop ≠ Floppy drives (the rise of the laptop and subsequently netbook happened after all the Windows PC makers got the clue that they should drop floppies).

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Not many people use DVD drives, and they have their drawbacks. If you want one, just get an external one.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

Bull. You got confirmation from the CEO. Other than bending the laws of physics there's nothing Apple could do aside from wasting time trying to match PC specs of the day. They're making a new machine, it's not ready yet. If you are really a pro, today's machine will pay for itself, and then you can make a huge jump next year.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
You could have a monster of a PC for $2500

or buy a Mac Pro and get ATI Radeon HD 5770 that was released in Oct 13, 2009

Why did some Apple clone lover mark this post down? he is absolutely right, the super minor upgrade to the Mac Pro was a kick in the teeth to Pro users, who the hell is going to pay 3K plus for a machine with a 3 year old bus speed and graphics card when their business is, realtime audio or film rendering/processing. What a bloody joke!!! I simply can't believe how poor this release is of the Mac Pro, this shows Apple can't give a toss about its "pro" base that has supported it for so many years. Easier to chase the new phone flashy prosumers with cash that want something shiny & silver...I'm sure Steve would NOT have let this happen..
I needed this Mac Pro release today, I have a massive job starting in ten days and I can't work off my 2011 17" Macbook pro anymore, the noise is ubearable, I already mailed the order dept this morn in anticipation! Now what..

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
That is interesting... Checked it out after you're post. However it lists a lot of seemingly old parts besides the 6GB RAM which seemed pretty weird.

I'm guessing they haven't updated that page in a while and that they made an error typing the processor and RAM moreso than thats the specs of the new iMac as that would really underwhelm most purchasers and than what is the point of not releasing it today?

I don't know if you guys are not refreshing your pages or what..but the current Xeon server class chips will blow the roof off of an iClass processor. Hense why you will not find an i7 in a server and also there is not an i based 6 core chip.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Desktop ≠ Optical drives and Hard drives just like Desktop ≠ Floppy drives (the rise of the laptop and subsequently netbook happened after all the Windows PC makers got the clue that they should drop floppies).

Yes, exactly. Optical drives are useless for most people and make the computer thicker while making it hotter and using more electricity. If you need it, get an external one.

My iMac's stupid slot DVD drive got jammed for over a year because I put a Windows 98 CD in there that was apparently defective. It wasn't a problem.

----------

Why did some Apple clone lover mark this post down? he is absolutely right, the super minor upgrade to the Mac Pro was a kick in the teeth to Pro users, who the **** is going to pay 3K plus for a machine with a 3 year old bus speed and graphics card when their business is, realtime audio or film rendering/processing. What a bloody joke!!! I simply can't believe how poor this release is of the Mac Pro, this shows Apple can't give a toss about its "pro" base that has supported it for so many years. Easier to chase the new phone flashy prosumers with cash that want something shiny & silver...I'm sure Steve would NOT have let this happen..
I needed this Mac Pro release today, I have a massive job starting in ten days and I can't work off my 2011 17" Macbook pro anymore, the noise is ubearable, I already mailed the order dept this morn in anticipation! Now what..

I think Mac Pros are great for professionals, but this lack of updates is horrible. You guys are right. Anyway, I'm getting a 2008 Mac Pro soon, so I don't have to worry.

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
New iMac is the new TV that Apple is working on, can also be controlled by iPad and file sharing between the 2.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Bull. You got confirmation from the CEO. Other than bending the laws of physics there's nothing Apple could do aside from wasting time trying to match PC specs of the day. They're making a new machine, it's not ready yet. If you are really a pro, today's machine will pay for itself, and then you can make a huge jump next year.
Just like Steve's more great PowerPC products in the pipeline...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

I don't understand this hype about upgrading computers. In 2008, pros used 2008 computers. Why do they suddenly need faster processors?

But still, paying the "new" price for old stuff sucks. Get used ones from eBay, and they're way cheaper. I'm getting an 8-core Mac Pro for under $1000 that is old but is still crazy fast.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Yes, exactly. Optical drives are useless for most people and make the computer thicker while making it hotter and using more electricity. If you need it, get an external one.

My iMac's stupid slot DVD drive got jammed for over a year because I put a Windows 98 CD in there that was apparently defective. It wasn't a problem.

----------

I think Mac Pros are great for professionals, but this lack of updates is horrible. You guys are right. Anyway, I'm getting a 2008 Mac Pro soon, so I don't have to worry.

And as far as hard drives = pro that is a complete joke. Servers are switching to SSDs (and cost an arm and a leg and a kidney). Hard drives are great for mass storage still but their performance is lacking.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Very dissapointed the iMac wasnt updated. And when updating the OS for retina, i think its a little weird only one model laptop supports it. Not much incentive for third parties to upgrade their apps.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Hahaha, "later next year" for iMacs and Mac Pros. Was this definitely from Tim Cook? It's either:
a) Massive troll (not him; fake).
b) Or he's being unbelievably deliberately obtuse. "Oh iMacs? Pretty sure those still said new on the store website."

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008

I'm sure the current Mac Pro is going to be a significant upgrade to a 2011 17" Macbook pro. As an aside, two 8 core Sandy Bridge-EP will set you back $3800 just for the CPUs.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Very dissapointed the iMac wasnt updated. And when updating the OS for retina, i think its a little weird only one model laptop supports it. Not much incentive for third parties to upgrade their apps.

It is a flagship model. We didn't get the ready for prime time Macbook Air until years later (I owned one and it was a fine machine for the time but it was expensive and rough around the edges).

Basically, the only reason to get the new Macbook Pro is if you have extra money and want the future a little bit early and are okay with some rough spots.

Edit: and as far as iMacs...I seriously doubt we're getting higher resolution iMac displays soon.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You could have a monster of a PC for $2500

or buy a Mac Pro and get ATI Radeon HD 5770 that was released in Oct 13, 2009

Pro tip: Buy used Mac Pros off eBay if you feel that they are being sold for more than they are worth. In some cases, they are, and you can get a much better deal.

Note that the MacBook Pros on eBay sell for about the same that Apple sells them for (even barely less after 2 years of use), but the Mac Pros do not. This shows the value/price.

----------

A 24" retina display is hard to make. Look at the price of those 15" MacBook Pros that have retina displays. We need better technology first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.